Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators Reboot - HTVbest - 13-01-2024

On the graphics why are heights in imperial measurements and everything else in metric? How to totally confuse your key audience, school age kids!

Otherwise, I feeling nothing but nostalgic vibes :-)

RE: Gladiators Reboot - JHarper_2022 - 13-01-2024

I love that they still kept the original theme song, Queen's Another One Bites the Dust, they've modernised the reboot of Gladiators with LED lighting, video packages for the contenders. I'm enjoying this more than the Sky version from the late naughties. Props to BBC for staying true to the original!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 13-01-2024

The show gets more and more like the ITV show used to be the more you watch it, though the music beds for the games seem out of sync with the main theme that they've reused. I wasn't expecting the full reuse of the music from the original show, but those beds feel like an afterthought.

Lots of obligatory shots of babies in the audience, people waving foam fingers around in tune to Another One Bites The Dust.. and even the Eliminator is virtually identical to the original show.

So much could have been changed. And yet it wasn't. Conclusive proof you don't need to rip a format to shreds to make it work for a modern audience.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 13-01-2024

That's how you do a revival. It seems to have gone down very well.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Parsons - 13-01-2024

I thought the profile inserts of the contestants looked a bit washed out, like they were still in log format and hadn’t been coloured graded correctly.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 13-01-2024

Definitely felt like what the original show would've become had it been constantly running for the past 24 years - new hosts, new Gladiators, a couple of new games, but still feels like the old ITV programme.

I see we have our new Wolf type villain in Viper. He actually got disqualified for blocking the contender on the bridge when he should've been swinging from above. And both male contestants finished the show injured - one in Gauntlet and the other on The Eliminator. Fair play to the first one for carrying on. What would've happened if he had to leave? A standby inherits his score?

RE: Gladiators re-revival - scottishtv - 13-01-2024

My older brother was a bigger fan of Gladiators than me when we were both much more youthful in the 90s (Looking at the tight outfits, I think I now understand why).

That said, I found myself enjoying this quite a lot. Easy to watch, and just fun rivalry really.

Flicked over to ITV a couple of times, but found Graham Norton trying to sound excited about "things you find in an airport" not very convincing.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 08:05 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  And both male contestants finished the show injured - one in Gauntlet and the other on The Eliminator. Fair play to the first one for carrying on. What would've happened if he had to leave? A standby inherits his score?

That's what happened first time round.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Keith - 13-01-2024

Did anyone else spot the audience sign in the background of one of the shots that said "Where's John Anderson?".

Think it's fair to say Viper is being lined up to be the new Wolf.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - James2001 - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 08:08 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  Flicked over to ITV a couple of times, but found Graham Norton trying to sound excited about "things you find in an airport" not very convincing.

Basically a revival that's been done right up against one that hasn't been- hopefully Sony/Whisper are taking notes.