Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - KrazyKei - 13-01-2024

I have to say that I'm really glad that they kept the majority of the Gladiators ethos and traditions from the 1990's. There was always going to be changes in the facts that there would a new generation, technological advances and different presenters and crew.

The 2008 version tried too hard to be like the American Gladiators 2000's version so it was good that they reverted back to what worked before then.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and I'm glad there is camaraderie on there as well.

(13-01-2024, 08:51 PM)Keith Wrote:  Did anyone else spot the audience sign in the background of one of the shots that said "Where's John Anderson?".

Think it's fair to say Viper is being lined up to be the new Wolf.

I think Mark Clattenburg did a fairly decent job as a referee, didn't realise he had that commanding voice. As for the new Wolf, I think that honour goes to Legend.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - tellyblues - 13-01-2024

Thought some of the editing was a bit suspect - cuts to cameras just because they were there. Crowd participation seemed a bit forced. The Walshes were OK if a little wooden. Great that they kept the main title theme but the games need better music. The Eliminator was underwhelming because of that. On the whole, 7/10 .

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Johnr - 13-01-2024

I thought it was great apart from the event music was a bit rubbish compared to the original

It helped my enjoyment when I realised 10 minutes in I actually used to work with Myles in my last job! Big Grin

RE: Gladiators re-revival - MajesticBass - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 09:35 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Crowd participation seemed a bit forced

I went to one of the recordings, and it took over seven hours (the compere described it as a hostage situation at one point!), so by the end it was very forced!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - London Lite - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 09:25 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  As for the new Wolf, I think that honour goes to Legend.

I thought Wolf's characteristics were split between Viper and Legend to be honest.

The male casting seemed a lot better than the female Gladiators. The women during The Ring were running rings around the Gladiators in comparison to the male contenders round.

The only real negatives are the casting of Walsh and son as presenters, it didn't quite have the spark of having a male/female duo and the commentator was a bit dry. I still miss John Sachs from the original, but it's a respectful reboot of what worked for ITV in the 90s.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 10:17 PM)MajesticBass Wrote:  I went to one of the recordings, and it took over seven hours (the compere described it as a hostage situation at one point!), so by the end it was very forced!

Just wondering whether each recording is one episode or do they record events from different episodes in the same session so they can set up an event being used over multiple episodes and film all contests in one go?

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 13-01-2024

It was filmed apparently over 14 days in June last year, and at an eleven part series (and 7hrs per recording as per above) suggests it may have been one show per day, and then maybe some pick-ups either at the end or somewhere along the line.

Back in the 90s they apparently used to film two shows a day, though IIRC the first series was relatively shorter compared to later ones where it pretty much ran for four months in the autumn.

IIRC there were two events that were fixed in the original show - The Wall and you could sometimes see the rings from Hang Tough floating around in the background of the shot, which suggests some sort of rig you can just raise/lower as required.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - fanoftv - 14-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 10:53 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Just wondering whether each recording is one episode or do they record events from different episodes in the same session so they can set up an event being used over multiple episodes and film all contests in one go?

It was one episode per day. The recording didn’t start until after 1pm the day that I went, with events taking around 45 minutes to set up, film and remove. It was great fun, but a long day.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 14-01-2024

A solid 8 of of 10 reboot for me which means I pretty much loved it bar a few nostalgic elements that I missed.

What I missed:
- The old event music. Admittedly in some events the music changes stood out less than others - however, I found the Hang Tough, Duel and Eliminator themes lacking compared to the LWT days.
- The clock staying on throughout the event. Particularly for the 60 second events it seemed to add to the tension when you could see how much time was passing. I feel the clock being off screen loses something.

What I loved
- Pretty much everything else. The graphics, gladiators, gladiators costumes, lighting and displays in the arena, refereeing team, new and historic events, commentary, even the presenters and the locker room cutaways - it truly felt like the LWT show had kept going with piecemeal changes over the years and became what we saw today. If I had to describe it as anything it's the 90s LWT Gladiators for the Ninja Warrior generation (I appreciate the irony that these are both ITV shows).

Well done BBC and Hungry Bear. A very well executed update.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Larry the Loafer - 14-01-2024

If I'm to nitpick, I'd say the title sequence felt a lot longer than it probably was (and somehow looked less impressive than what the early 90s could generate), I'd echo those who said the event music could've been a lot better, the crash mats taking up less floor space made some of the events look quite small, the weird perspective effect they did whenever a Gladiator came out seemed unnecessary, the locker room bits seemed a touch staged, and maybe there might've arguably possibly been a better duo to present it (though I'm counting my blessings that Mr. Baldwin didn't call on his missus).

That said, I think a lot of people were surprised by how good it was. I was cautiously optimistic and I'm glad to see my caution was unwarranted. I don't think the Walshes were bad at all, especially when you take an objective look at John Fashnu from back in the day, and dare I even mention Jeremy Guscott, and while the new games weren't perfect, it was definitely nice to see them alongside the old favourites. Certainly one of the best reboots of modern times and kudos to everyone involved. I can only hope it goes on to improve as time goes on just as the original did.

Also worth noting that the legendary Eunice Huthart was getting a lot of love on Twitter from nostalgic fans, and she ended up putting out a thank you tweet for everyone's kind messages. It'd be great if she, or even any of the old gang, was able to make a cameo in the near future.

https://twitter.com/eunicehuv/status/1746256136855052633?s=19