Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Jon - 14-01-2024

You can imagine they only offered it to Barney to make Bradley feel obliged to sign up. The father and son thing is just a bit odd and I don’t think it’s the right format for that dynamic to come across so you get nothing extra out of it.

They were fine, but I’m sure better combinations could have been considered.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Reith85 - 14-01-2024

Excellent launch figure for Gladiators - it will be interesting to see if it falls from hereon in and by how much.

I did love Duncan Newmarch's introduction into Gladiators last night, asking himself what he would be called if he was a new Gladiator, and getting the response, "Mummy's Boy".

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Omnipresent - 14-01-2024

Nothing personal against Bradley or Barney but such blatant nepotism in the TV industry needs to stop.

They were both on ITV later in the evening and the BBC in particular should be developing new presenting talent.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 14-01-2024

If it had been the Generation Game it might have made sense, but not sure of the logic here. That said though Bradley perhaps keeps the older BBC1 audience happy who might otherwise drift away from the show.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Johnr - 14-01-2024

I have a strong suspicion the original pairing would have been Bradley and Holly considering they did Take Off together but Holly decided not to sign up at the last minute as it would have been around the same time everything with Phil was kicking off (May 2023), so the next obvious choice was Barney

Being a Hungry Bear production the presenting pool is generally 'who is in Dan Baldwin's contact list'

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Larry the Loafer - 14-01-2024

Maybe they could've used the same footballer/weather presenter combo. Perhaps Lucy Verasamy and, say... Joey Barton? Tongue

RE: Gladiators re-revival - NI92 - 14-01-2024

(14-01-2024, 04:15 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  Excellent launch figure for Gladiators - it will be interesting to see if it falls from hereon in and by how much.

I did love Duncan Newmarch's introduction into Gladiators last night, asking himself what he would be called if he was a new Gladiator, and getting the response, "Mummy's Boy".

Here is Duncan's introduction which I found on YouTube, I missed this as in Northern Ireland and they did a different intro but very funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOgk-_p60V8 

RE: Gladiators re-revival - TJTSW - 14-01-2024

From what I can tell Bradly was behind the scenes alot of the orginal as his wife worked on the show in the 90's, it was only meant to be a one off episode so i guess that why he was a presenter for it, they then decided to make a full series of it, so I imagine Bradly was behind alot of the reboot being true to the original to be fair whick is kudos to the BBC for picking the show up.

and Bradly seems to do alot with his Son, Breaking DAd, The Larkins, I guess the therory behind it is Bradly pull in the older viewers, while his son would pull in the younger vieweres ? just my guess.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 14-01-2024

(14-01-2024, 01:40 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  If you want to see how a revivial is done badly the Aussie version begins tomorrow - it doesn't even have a crowd, and has one less event per episode despite the episodes running nearly 90 minutes with ads.
Isn't it also using the UK triangle G branding instead of anything like the two previous versions (a hexagonal G and a G in a circle), meaning it isn't faithful to the earlier versions of their show? They did make a smart choice of referee though - one of their 90s Gladiators, Hammer.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Flux - 15-01-2024

Agree with many sentiments here - the perfect execution of a revival let down (only slightly!) by the wrong choice of hosts. Bradley could have worked with another partner. He has the right temperament and experience that both the Gladiators and the Contenders respect him, banter with him, and allow him to get away with little asides and jokes at their expense. Barney just doesn’t fit, the partnership with Bradley adds nothing, and I hate to say it but it’s clear he’s only shoehorned in because of his father. I also feel it takes away from the faux-sport aspect of the show not to have a “serious” sporting presence akin to John Fashanu in the original run, or even Ian Wright in the Sky incarnation. I know Alex Scott is maybe over saturised at the moment (though no more than Bradley!) but I can’t help but feel the show would have felt stronger with someone of her ilk - a young, active, female, sports-based broadcaster - opposite Bradley.