Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - XIII - 17-01-2024

The new Gladiators come across well in interviews which surprised me, I'm sure some like Legend and Viper will play up to their persona but with social media, they have to balance the two. Legend/Matt Morsia has his own YouTube channel with a lot of subscribers which probably will see an increase.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - London Lite - 17-01-2024

Giant was also in that EMT interview I mentioned earlier. He's great too.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - XIII - 17-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 07:02 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah, and their 90s venue the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, which is also now called the Utilita Arena, has a not much bigger capacity of 15k. Based on that demand, they need somewhere much bigger. Too bad football stadia, which hold up to 90k, are unsuitable due to not having a roof.

The big issue is that a lot of the bigger arenas like The O2 and AO Arena are booked up in advance and I suspect the owners and concert promoters don't want to give up revenue from concerts for a TV show.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - agemame - 17-01-2024

The issue wasn't so much the demand as the management of said - the audience ticketing was massively overissued to ensure a full house, and those who arrived after things were filled were naturally unhappy with it. If it is genuinely as popular as it appears to be now, they can tweak the ticketing to a more appropriate level and manage it better (perhaps do what they did with the old finals, charge a token ticket fee and put it towards buying a Sunshine Coach or whatever the equivalent is nowadays)

RE: Gladiators re-revival - mcrdev - 17-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 02:36 PM)ConorW2000 Wrote:  I wonder also, whether they might look to have the show at a bigger venue, I think the Utilita Arena in Sheffield where the series is now holds something like 13k and demand for it was huge from what I can gather.

It may have a maximum capacity of 13,600, but they were only allowing around 3,000 people into the audience for each recording. The full capacity includes the entire seating and standing on the arena floor, so you'll never get anywhere near those numbers in for this type of event. That said, weren't using the full height of seating, only using the first few rows of the upper tier - so they could have got a lot more audience in if they wanted.

Likewise, they weren't using the extents of the arena floor to the fullest - additional width and length were available but chosen not to be used. As for height - well, hang tough was flipped on it's end and stored vertically above the visible set trusses, so there is some significant height available which doesn't come out on screen.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 17-01-2024

(17-01-2024, 12:09 AM)XIII Wrote:  The new Gladiators come across well in interviews which surprised me, I'm sure some like Legend and Viper will play up to their persona but with social media, they have to balance the two. Legend/Matt Morsia has his own YouTube channel with a lot of subscribers which probably will see an increase.

I think that's a very astute point - the Gladiators' 'real' personas are easily identifiable with the widespread use of social media and so they need to balance their Gladiator personality with their true personality. They generally come across as a fairly likeable group

For me that's one of the key differences between this version and the 2008 Sky version - in the 2008 version the Gladiators were, to a large extent, assigned personalities and told to play up to it, which often came across quite poorly (IMO) on screen. There's a couple of GladPod interviews where this is touched upon - Michael Van Wijk (Wolf) talks about being given lines to say when he appeared on the Legends shows and as Gladiator Manager in season 2.

One (or two) 'heels' (a la Wolf in the original series - and even then we got to see him being sweet at times with Ulrika and the audience) is fine, not more than half the Gladiators cast.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 17-01-2024

The Aussie version, with no crowd, cheap set and padding 4 events + the Eliminator to 90 minutes, lost half its audience for its second episode, down from 395k to 196k.

The second episode had exactly the same events too, but in a different order. No crowd meant obviously fake crowd noise too, and there was suspicion some of the presenter links were green screened rather than done on set at the time.

Revivals on the cheap rarely end well.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Johnr - 17-01-2024

Amazingly awful (for anyone interested the episodes are available on Dailymotion)

At least they're considering the environment by recycling the Pyramid for use in the Eliminator! (minus any Gladiators after them so that is a tough challenge...)

I like how the 'prize' for the winner also seems to be they get to erm...be a Gladiator - doubt they'll be able to make much use of that when the show is probably already in the bin for a potential future series

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 17-01-2024

I don't mind the Aussie version although it's padded beyond belief. It gives me more Total Wipeout vibes (with human obstacles) than the good natured competition vibe from UK Gladiators. I'd watch it if it were on but don't know if I'd seek it out like I will the UK version.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 17-01-2024

If the show gets cancelled, then I guess those winners would have to be given a cash equivalent - presumably the same amount of money they're paying the Gladiators for this series?