Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 21-01-2024

It is too long, but it's actually justified. In the old ITV version, the logo would form up as the main part of the song ends, and the ending of the tune would be when the presenters come out. The song seems to have actually been extended as there's an instrumental part and then the first line of the lyrics plays again before you get the ending bit with the logo. Presumably, the extended theme, along with the WWE style Gladiator intros, serves to fill some of the space created by not having commercial breaks.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 21-01-2024

It's weird to have people complaining about a lack of background music. I think it's fine TBH.

See in the other thread it got 5.4m last night - a 10% drop but to be expected.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - tellyblues - 21-01-2024

It's fine because it doesn't overly change the show but it's not weird for people to complain when iconic background music was a part of the original series.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - mcrdev - 21-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 11:20 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  IIRC there were two events that were fixed in the original show - The Wall and you could sometimes see the rings from Hang Tough floating around in the background of the shot, which suggests some sort of rig you can just raise/lower as required.

If you looked in the background of the shots during The Wall on this week's episode, you could see The Edge half set up in the background, which while it does live in the roof, needs a fair bit of set up to be played.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - gottago - 21-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 07:23 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  This week's contenders.

It strikes me that one of the female contestants is from Dublin, I don't think it's that common to have contestants from the Republic of Ireland on British quiz/gameshows.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2SozRXIvUj/?img_index=1 

She said on the show that was based in London so not too unusual in the end.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Johnr - 21-01-2024

(20-01-2024, 08:36 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  One change from last week that was noted on here at the time is that the clock is on screen throughout each game. That works much better.

Although didn't seem quite in sync on The Wall, for the men it appeared the whistle for the Gladiators to go was at 49 seconds and the women 51 seconds!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Larry the Loafer - 21-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 06:50 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  It is too long, but it's actually justified. In the old ITV version, the logo would form up as the main part of the song ends, and the ending of the tune would be when the presenters come out. The song seems to have actually been extended as there's an instrumental part and then the first line of the lyrics plays again before you get the ending bit with the logo. Presumably, the extended theme, along with the WWE style Gladiator intros, serves to fill some of the space created by not having commercial breaks.

I still wouldn't say it was justified. They could fill the extra time with the sorts of filler the original had, asking questions to the contenders and Gladiators for example, rather than a somewhat bland run through of the roster.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 21-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 09:30 PM)Johnr Wrote:  Although didn't seem quite in sync on The Wall, for the men it appeared the whistle for the Gladiators to go was at 49 seconds and the women 51 seconds!

This was an "issue" on the original show as well.

I think the women used to get something like 20 seconds head start and the men 15, and the graphics never matched the whistle, and when they replaced it with a digital clock showing tenths of a second, it was still way out from the whistle!

Hope to assume that the ref was fair and blew his whistle exactly once the headstart time had passed.

Related note: Somebody got 2.5 seconds head start on Saturday's episode before The Eliminator. I don't think they got that, it was closer to one second to my mind.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - RDJ - 22-01-2024

I did notice the off timing of the whistles on The Wall and Eliminator.
I’m not entirely convinced that the whistles are being blown accurately by referee Mark, as John Anderson would use a stopwatch to time the whistles back in the day, and it appears that Mark is doing it blind or upon a prompt.

Overall episode 2 was just as good as ep 1. I do think the poor backing music is still an issue in making the challenges seem interesting and dynamic.

Also, new event The Edge was an odd one. It seemed just a case of contender walking back and forth with the Gladiator usually too scared to do a lot due to the sheer drop. And if the Gladiator found their bravery and tackles the contestant then game over comes quite quickly.
The one contender who slipped through the Gladiators grip and was left on the grid was just left to walk back and forth for about 40 seconds. Rather pointless and dull.
It wasn’t as interesting as previous rooftop events like Skytrak or Pendulum.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 22-01-2024

(22-01-2024, 08:44 AM)RDJ Wrote:  I did notice the off timing of the whistles on The Wall and Eliminator.
I’m not entirely convinced that the whistles are being blown accurately by referee Mark, as John Anderson would use a stopwatch to time the whistles back in the day, and it appears that Mark is doing it blind or upon a prompt.

Maybe a stop watch will appear when there is a more substantial head start, something like more than five seconds. At the moment its relatively easier to estimate up to a second or so (and of course "injury time" in football is relatively flexible, as Mark no doubt knows!). IIRC the all time record was something like 14 seconds on The Eliminator, such was one contestant's domination at the time.

Im hoping its all a result of editing issues/limitations, as we're just assuming the graphics are right in the first place. Which they may not be. Don't think we need to be sticking a GoPro on a referee's watch though!