Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - tellyblues - 30-01-2024

(30-01-2024, 11:07 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not sure there is much value in 50-70 year old ex-Gladiators competing.

Not for people who don't want it, no, but plenty would, and the old cast don't necessarily have to compete.

The BBC will be lucky to get three series out of Gladiators but that's the case for most shows these days. I can't see it lasting eight series like the original but hopefully this series can end well and a second series can offer up more, which it has to if there is to be a third series.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 30-01-2024

Tweaks are easy enough - add a couple more events (Atlaspheres?). Stage it in a bigger arena so they don't have to turn away as many fans. Alter the Gauntlet event - in the original it had five zones not four.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 30-01-2024

A bigger arena would likely mean a bigger cost though, as would a bigger crowd.

Agree Gauntlet doesn't work in its current form. I think moving forward they do need to keep it fresh though as well as having a number of archive games to revive I think at least one brand new game a year should be bought in.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Flux - 30-01-2024

(30-01-2024, 01:10 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A bigger arena would likely mean a bigger cost though, as would a bigger crowd.

Agree Gauntlet doesn't work in its current form. I think moving forward they do need to keep it fresh though as well as having a number of archive games to revive I think at least one brand new game a year should be bought in.

Yeah, I don’t understand the calls for a bigger arena or for bigger crowds. It looked huge on screen and the crowd felt full. Changing either thing would have zero effect on the programme or profit so there’s no incentive.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - mcrdev - 30-01-2024

(30-01-2024, 01:16 PM)Flux Wrote:  Yeah, I don’t understand the calls for a bigger arena or for bigger crowds. It looked huge on screen and the crowd felt full. Changing either thing would have zero effect on the programme or profit so there’s no incentive.

And as I wrote earlier in the thread, they could fit significantly more audience into the existing space if they desired. Maybe they underestimated the demand for tickets with it being a new series? Maybe they wanted to keep a feeling of exclusivity? Maybe they wanted to reduce the risk of people revealing the winners of the series? Could be any of several reasons, but there was plenty of space available for audience that went unused (e.g. most of the top half of the seating was cordoned off for extra lighting - you can see where it's hazard taped off a few rows up the second tier in the attached image - this could all have been released to the audience and fitted in several thousand more).

RE: Gladiators re-revival - XIII - 30-01-2024

Filming a TV show is different from a live concert so there lots of things to consider when deciding where to film.

Keep in mind, the tickets are free so it's a logical thing to keep the audience numbers at a manageable level.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 03-02-2024

I notice the Daily Fail website has put up some half-arsed article about Gladiators being "renowned for injuries" apparently, after somebody smashed their leg off The Wall in the reboot.

Yes people got injured but the original show never shyed away from that, and its not like somebody broke their back every time they lost an event... We all saw when Warrior had to be extracted from an Atlasphere when he hurt his kneecap and yes it was uncomfortable to watch, but it was the best reminder that accidents can happen to anybody no matter what physical shape you're in - and why you shouldn't try this at home.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - tellyblues - 03-02-2024

Saying that Gladiators is renowned for injuries is fair enough because viewers remember seeing people getting injured, attended to by medical staff and it being shown on TV. OK, in all of the events that have taken place, the number of serious injuries that have happened in comparison is low but they're still talked about nearly 30 years on.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 03-02-2024

It's really sad to see but no surprise that as soon as something is a hit the press like to find angles which paint it in a negative light. Reach is the worst - seen several things on supposedly local sites just picking up the odd individual comment and making it out like the show is full of issues because they found two comments on Twitter.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 03-02-2024

(03-02-2024, 01:43 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I notice the Daily Fail website has put up some half-arsed article about Gladiators being "renowned for injuries" apparently, after somebody smashed their leg off The Wall in the reboot.

Yes people got injured but the original show never shyed away from that, and its not like somebody broke their back every time they lost an event... We all saw when Warrior had to be extracted from an Atlasphere when he hurt his kneecap and yes it was uncomfortable to watch, but it was the best reminder that accidents can happen to anybody no matter what physical shape you're in - and why you shouldn't try this at home.
It's been known for seven months now that two of the Gladiators - Comet and Sabre - got injured during production. So they're not even reporting new information.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/bbc-gladiators-star-rushed-hospital-27156833