Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 06-02-2024

None. The only current Gladiators shows are the UK and Australian ones that both started this year. Apparently there was plans three years ago in the US for a reboot there using WWE wrestlers as the Gladiators, but nothing came of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiators_(franchise) 
https://deadline.com/2021/09/american-gladiators-return-mgm-wwe-reboot-1234843903/ 

RE: Gladiators re-revival - tellyblues - 06-02-2024

(06-02-2024, 09:57 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  No end of games in the 80s and early 90s that had tie-ins to film and TV shows. And most of them were crap, sometimes because of the limitations of the hardware (particularly on 8-bit machines), sometimes because of crap programming (usually because a lot of 8-bit games started on the Spectrum, got ported to the other 8-bits and no attempt was made to do it properly so they looked like Speccy clones) and other times because the concept was crap.

Spitting Image got a game back in the day (and on the 8-bits as well), it was fighting game/beat-em-up. About as detached from the TV show you could possibly get. Then there was Count Duckula 2 based on the cartoon... oh dear. Even Mr Blobby appeared in a video game, but had no references to the House Party at all (Blobby of course being the break out star from House Party) and it turned out to be another crappy game that had been repackaged - with the crapness still intact.

So game tie-ins don't always work. They may work better for film tie-ins (and there are some good examples) but for TV shows, well even with decent hardware they're still mostly crap.

I think the main reason films can make better games is they are character and story based, so there's a lot more for developers to work with and players to get into. There are good games of TV shows, quiz shows providing the most faithful adaptations, but they aren't as exciting as playing along with the real thing and you could finish an "episode" in a game in two minutes, which is terrible value for money. A Gladiators game could maybe have a training mode so it could last longer and injuries to make it realistic and harder to complete but all that would need time to get right.

I'm not surprised the Mr Blobby game was crap but what else could you do with a one joke character? Oh, a theme park...

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Johnr - 11-02-2024

Bit of an editing glitch last night during Collision, an 'illegal move' by one of the Gladiators so the contestant was allowed to restart with 48 seconds left but the on screen clock started at 60 seconds again!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 11-02-2024

Collision certainly the weak link of the new games.

Wondered if this was the first one filmed - they seemed to get a 5 second head start on The Wall rather than the 8 I'm sure other episodes have had.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 11-02-2024

(11-02-2024, 06:18 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Wondered if this was the first one filmed - they seemed to get a 5 second head start on The Wall rather than the 8 I'm sure other episodes have had.

The timings for The Wall are all over the place so far as the graphics were concerned.
The timings for The Wall were all over the place in the original run as far as the graphics were concerned.

Some things never change.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 11-02-2024

There seems to be a disconnect between the timings in the arena and how they play out on TV. I'm assuming everything is okay/ correct within the game but as a view it does seem like the starting whistle often doesn't sync with the game clock starting on screen.

I wonder if that's to do with the massive 3 / 2 / 1 on the walls of the arena and the lighting changing when the game starts- maybe the referee is having to sync his countdown to the arena lighting and graphics rather than the other way around and is slightly out at times, and whereas the Gladiators and contenders are going when the lights change the fraphics are timed to the whistle (if that makes sense? The game starting when the lights change whereas the on screen clock starting on the whistle and the two (lights and whistle being out of sync.)

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 12-02-2024

Nitro's going to be on Celebrity Masterchef.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/25868609/traitors-star-tv-job-masterchef-diane-carson/ 
Quote:Irish Diane, from Lytham St Annes, Lancs, is set to be joined on Celebrity Masterchef by Geordie Shore star Charlotte Crosby, Steps singer Ian “H” Watkins, presenter Edith Bowman, Radio 1Xtra’s Snoochie Shy and Gladiator Nitro, AKA Harry Aikines-Aryeetey.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 12-02-2024

(11-02-2024, 11:52 PM)PJamo Wrote:  I wonder if that's to do with the massive 3 / 2 / 1 on the walls of the arena and the lighting changing when the game starts- maybe the referee is having to sync his countdown to the arena lighting and graphics rather than the other way around and is slightly out at times, and whereas the Gladiators and contenders are going when the lights change the fraphics are timed to the whistle (if that makes sense? The game starting when the lights change whereas the on screen clock starting on the whistle and the two (lights and whistle being out of sync.)

The whole "3 / 2 / 1" thing quite often goes to pot and the lights, the sound the visuals and whatever are so far out from what Mark Clattenburg is saying its sort of hard to follow sometimes. You'd have thought they could synced that up in an edit suite - you expect it to an extent in a live environment to be a bit rougher.

We never had this problem back in the day because there was only one source of a game starting - and that was John Anderson. No flashing lights, no projected imagery, just a whistle.

These days you've got three or four different things going on, none of them are in sync and its perhaps hardly surprising it all becomes a visual disaster.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - thegeek - 13-02-2024

Maybe he needs someone counting in his earpiece to sync it all up?

Bit late to the thread here - I think they've hit a sweet spot with this revival: it's going to be popular with adults for the nostalgia factor, but also many of them will be watching with their own kids. There's probably not a lot of linear telly these days that'll be getting talked about in the playground.

I think my only nitpick is Mark Clattenburg's "contenders, you will go on my first whistle". Surely the emphasis should be on the 'first' or 'second', not 'whistle'!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - RhysJR - 13-02-2024

I wasn't aware that presenter Radzi Chinyanganya was a contender on the Sky revival.

Curiosity got the better of me to watch a bit of it, and I must say it wasn't anywhere near as good as the current revival. The use of John Anderson feels a bit out of place with everything else feeling very removed and seperate to the original.

https://youtu.be/_7b2AbZAwHU?si=zw9ZO8cIg23_0qkp