Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 13-02-2024

The Sky version really was Gladiators in name only compared to what came before and since.

Having said thay, even the Sky version has a link to the new series with Jenny Pacey aka Enigma helping to train the contenders and gladiators this time round.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 13-02-2024

So although she's off screen, Enigma has the same role Wolf had on Sky's second series?
(13-02-2024, 03:55 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  I wasn't aware that presenter Radzi Chinyanganya was a contender on the Sky revival.

Curiosity got the better of me to watch a bit of it, and I must say it wasn't anywhere near as good as the current revival. The use of John Anderson feels a bit out of place with everything else feeling very removed and seperate to the original.

https://youtu.be/_7b2AbZAwHU?si=zw9ZO8cIg23_0qkp 
They did three Legends specials too where the new Gladiators took on the old ones. In the second of them Wolf said he was retiring - that must've been because he'd already been hired as the new Gladiators' new coach by then, which would've made him ineligible for any future editions due to conflict of interest.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 13-02-2024

My understanding is that Wolf's role was very much onscreen only, and was more symbolic (plus created a Wolf v Trojan storyline for the Legends shows).

Jenny was actually working behind the scenes (alongside Stuart Taylor who trained her when she was a gladiator) to train the participants (Gladiator and Contender) training them on the events - you can see snippets of it on her Instagram. She's also trained, amongst others, the actresses playing the Amazons in Wonder Woman 84.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - SuperSajuuk - 13-02-2024

(12-02-2024, 11:19 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The whole "3 / 2 / 1" thing quite often goes to pot and the lights, the sound the visuals and whatever are so far out from what Mark Clattenburg is saying its sort of hard to follow sometimes. You'd have thought they could synced that up in an edit suite - you expect it to an extent in a live environment to be a bit rougher.

We never had this problem back in the day because there was only one source of a game starting - and that was John Anderson. No flashing lights, no projected imagery, just a whistle.

These days you've got three or four different things going on, none of them are in sync and its perhaps hardly surprising it all becomes a visual disaster.

(13-02-2024, 01:13 PM)thegeek Wrote:  Maybe he needs someone counting in his earpiece to sync it all up?

I think my only nitpick is Mark Clattenburg's "contenders, you will go on my first whistle". Surely the emphasis should be on the 'first' or 'second', not 'whistle'!

Also worth pointing out: Mark has a stopwatch around his neck, yet it just seems to be a prop because he doesn't even use it to "start" the game. He seems to be totally reliant on someone giving the countdown in his ear, or off-screen, which feels like it will not be the most slickest of ways to track the start and end times for the games.

Since we're down to the quarter-finals now and its unlikely things will be tweaked at this point in the series, I hope that any of the issues found in this series will be resolved in any future series (that will probably get made considering the viewing figures and that its effectively event-television for the BBC)

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 17-02-2024

Odd to bring in a new stand in for the quarter finals rather than the next best eliminated contestant to replace an eliminated contestant.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 17-02-2024

It's possible nobody was available. There was only five heats, so three of the runners up will be through anyway. If both of the remaining two couldn't make it then yeah, a reserve is required.

They should've done two more heats, honestly. Another thing to fix for series two.

(17-02-2024, 07:20 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  It's possible nobody was available. There was only five heats, so three of the runners up will be through anyway. If both of the remaining two couldn't make it then yeah, a reserve is required.

They should've done two more heats, honestly. Another thing to fix for series two.

There are only 3 QF so it was the 5 winners plus one fastest loser, and then a fastest QF loser will make the semi finals too.

I'd be surprised if all four of the other heat losers were not available. If you've trained for this and get a second chance you'd take it, and they'd have already had to ensure they were available on the recording dates should they have made it through anyway.

P.S. Feels like the show is lacking in variety now with no new rounds for the QF. You'd expect the difficulty of the rounds to increase as the competition progresses.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Nobby - 17-02-2024

I wonder if they have permission to use Hanna Barbera's Bamm-Bamm Rubble character or if they just hope no one will notice.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 17-02-2024

Maybe it's because the 'best non winners is already in which is why they've gone for the 'standby' option instead - devalues the 'fastest runner up gets a spot in the QF' consolation as the merit of that is gone by someone who didn't make the spot that way getting through.

(17-02-2024, 07:39 PM)PJamo Wrote:  Maybe it's because the 'best non winners is already in which is why they've gone for the 'standby' option instead - devalues the 'fastest runner up gets a spot in the QF' consolation as the merit of that is gone by someone who didn't make the spot that way getting through.

But a complete newcomer devalues everybody's position in the quarter finals.