Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 18-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 10:33 PM)Johnr Wrote:  I didn’t know it was in the rules that you could forfeit competing in an event

A sensible rule if it keeps them in the showpiece Eliminator.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 19-02-2024

Has it ever happened before? Someone skipping an event?

RE: Gladiators re-revival - RhysJR - 19-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 01:02 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  Has it ever happened before? Someone skipping an event?

I guess it would have messed up the timings of the episode if they did have to skip an entire attempt of an event. Luckily, with the other contender withdrawing, they got to play a VT for the stand-by which would have taken up that time.

In a seperate point, I've just come across this website, which I think is probably official and predates the 2024 revival. Apparently, there was 27 different games in the original run - some are probably close to impossible to return, but there's plenty to take inspiration from if/when there is a second series.

https://www.gladiatorstv.com/events/ 

(18-02-2024, 10:51 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A sensible rule if it keeps them in the showpiece Eliminator.

Yeah, that worked quite well. Especially as Gauntlet is a very contact-heavy event (though most events bar the Eliminator are when you think about it).

The bringing in of another brand new contender I'm bit as keen on. Not helped by them not realky explaining how or why it was decided someone brand new was brought in. My headcannon is that when Finley was originally injured in the heat, Wesley was assigned to shadow him for when he pulled out. It was notable that he had family and friends in the crowd despite him not originally being planned to compete through the series.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Keith - 19-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 01:02 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  Has it ever happened before? Someone skipping an event?
I think it might have happened in the original series after a contestant sustained an injury in the previous round, but hadn't been medically ruled out of continuing. I'd assume they'd only allow for a maximum of one round to be forfeited.

There was certainly instances in the original series where during an episode a contestant couldn't continue, so the standby contestant took over mid-episode. I can't remember if there were any instances of a contestant being unable to take part in the quarter/semi-finals, though back then there was usually 15+ episodes per series (after the first series) so more potential to use runners up.

The producers probably would rather they forfeited the 5th round than be unable to take part in the eliminator. At that point it wouldn't seem right to use the standby contestant, nor have no eliminator or have just one contestant starting the eliminator. I think there were a few instances in the original series of a contestant being unable to complete the eliminator though.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 19-02-2024

In the original series they occasionally shuffled the order in which an event was played to allow an injured contender maximum rest time (it pretty much always usually went pink female / yellow female / red male / blue male but on a rare occasion they would reshuffle that for injury time).

There was at least one instance in the original series where somebody had to withdraw after 5 events but prior to the Eliminator; they didn't replace anyone at that stage (unlike where, as previously mentioned, they would replace somebody mid-episode) so the opposing contender automatically qualified for progression in the competition.

However there was also a prize for fastest eliminator time across the whole series so, despite having already qualified by default, the contender had to run the eliminator anyway!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 19-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 02:03 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  I guess it would have messed up the timings of the episode if they did have to skip an entire attempt of an event. Luckily, with the other contender withdrawing, they got to play a VT for the stand-by which would have taken up that time.

Well they had all the female Gladiators getting deliberately disqualified in the womens event before hand which ate up alot of time. It's a show that's easy to pad as required - and you've got events where it can be over in seconds or take a full minute, so it has to be flexibile.

The Gauntlet in it's current format is clearly one that needs axing or upgrading next series.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 19-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 02:03 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  I guess it would have messed up the timings of the episode if they did have to skip an entire attempt of an event. Luckily, with the other contender withdrawing, they got to play a VT for the stand-by which would have taken up that time.

In a seperate point, I've just come across this website, which I think is probably official and predates the 2024 revival. Apparently, there was 27 different games in the original run - some are probably close to impossible to return, but there's plenty to take inspiration from if/when there is a second series.

https://www.gladiatorstv.com/events/ 

Yeah, just checked Wayback Machine, that site has existed since at least January 2001, it's changed it's url twice, from gladiatorszone.fsnet.co.uk, to gladiatorszone.co.uk then to the current gladiatorstv.com - I think it was probably originally a fansite, but was later made official.

I like how pages there have the appropriate logo at the top depending on whether the page is about the 90s, Sky, or current versions, and even the various international versions. It does need updating, since while it does list the new UK and Aussie Gladiators, it doesn't mention the new games yet. Hopefully they're just waiting until the current series finishes to do that.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 19-02-2024

The brains behind that site is none other than Paul Noddings, graphic designer on the current UK and Australian series and Social Media Producer on the UK show.

He also produces the GladPod podcast.

I loved the forum on that site back in the day - great format for Gladiators discussion back around the time of the Sky series. Similar quality of discussion as the show seems to enjoy here and on reddit.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - DJ Dave - 21-02-2024

I went years ago when I was about 9 to a filming of the show, Rio was a new gladiator on the day, someone did get hurt halfway through and they filmed so much of it out of sync so had to redo parts due them not being able to carry on.

It took hours to film, not sure where my foam finger went ha ha

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 25-02-2024

OK, that running gag of a Gladiator only managing to remove a shoe on The Wall is getting ridiculous now. I'm sure that never happened that often, if at all, in the 90s version. It's happened at least four times now.