Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 03-03-2024

Legend undoubtedly the breakout character, although almost fits the cheats or loses criteria himself. Did like how Bradley broke him with imperial measurements this week though.

I think a bit like Strictly treating the "pro" cast with respect is more important than chopping and changing all the time ala Dancing on Ice, so even if there are a couple of weak links or people who've not made an impact I would say for the second series at least if they can they should stick to the same line up. New Gladiators would then have more impact in later series, whilst the existing ones have a series under their belt and can begin to develop their characters more.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Keith - 03-03-2024

(03-03-2024, 01:09 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Legend undoubtedly the breakout character, although almost fits the cheats or loses criteria himself. Did like how Bradley broke him with imperial measurements this week though.
Having just caught up on last night's episode that bit did amuse me, as he broke character.

I think for the next series Viper's character needs tweaking, assuming he's retained. At the moment it's not really working.

I wonder if they'll use clips from a "Gladiators boot camp" as a filler in the next series, as per the 90s series. That way they don't need to rely on the Gladiators 'rule breaking' antics to fill as much time.

Hopefully it'll also get a slightly longer commission. Maybe allowing for two heats to be filmed in a same day, using the same games, even if some of the rounds are shown in a different order.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - MajesticBass - 03-03-2024

Some tidbits from filming that may be interesting, as this was the episode I went to see be recorded:

- Collision was set up before we went in the arena and was played first, then they set it down and set up The Ring and then they filmed the intros before playing the ring

- To reset the rings for hang tough after each event they had people with hooks on long poles to try and get them to stop swinging

- In the male eliminator:

Both men failed to get up the travellator, so they reset back to the start of the beam (at the same time) and re-did the last bit from there. I was expecting to keep it in as it was a good bit of drama, but they edited it out presumably at the point where there is a close up of a foot on the beam

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 04-03-2024

(03-03-2024, 10:07 PM)Keith Wrote:  Having just caught up on last night's episode that bit did amuse me, as he broke character.

I think for the next series Viper's character needs tweaking, assuming he's retained. At the moment it's not really working.

I wonder if they'll use clips from a "Gladiators boot camp" as a filler in the next series, as per the 90s series. That way they don't need to rely on the Gladiators 'rule breaking' antics to fill as much time.

Hopefully it'll also get a slightly longer commission. Maybe allowing for two heats to be filmed in a same day, using the same games, even if some of the rounds are shown in a different order.
The second 90s season did lose three Gladiators for the second series (Flame, Phoenix and Hawk), who were replaced by five new ones (Nightshade, Zodiac, Falcon, Trojan and Hunter). The only one I suspect won't be back for series 2 of this version though, is Comet, due to her getting injured.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - mccanmat - 04-03-2024

(04-03-2024, 12:06 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  The second 90s season did lose three Gladiators for the second series (Flame, Phoenix and Hawk), who were replaced by five new ones (Nightshade, Zodiac, Falcon, Trojan and Hunter). The only one I suspect won't be back for series 2 of this version though, is Comet, due to her getting injured.

I’m hoping that a couple of other games are brought back - perhaps Danger Zone or Swingshot.
And ideally the Gauntlet needs to be longer with 5 gladiators as per original.
Agree, a slightly longer series with none of this “fastest runner up” business.

I can foresee potentially a couple of Glads not returning, we don’t see enough of Steel & Bionic, and Athena seem underused, though all 3 are solid performers.

Much as Bradley is well known, his jokes are just blocking up the episode, heck they could probably squeeze an extra event in before the eliminator (as in series 1 and 2 of the original) with a bit less jokes and the locker room reduced unless it was really needed (like Sabre’s speech last Saturday)

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 05-03-2024

Well it turns out Bradley Walsh was on a 1997 episode of Gladiators:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQFzRlQ_uZc 

The episode has been on YouTube for a while, but didn't have this segment in it, which may be the only "Gladiator vs Gladiator" event that I'm aware of. John Anderson's opinion on the game is quite brutal really.

This was from the last episode of Series 6, which I don't think Challenge air for whatever reason.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - agemame - 05-03-2024

MGM have always said that there are a few UK episodes they claim are 'missing' or unable to be shown - one International Gladiators semi final and this one, not sure why.

Bradley was apparently a last minute replacement, but they clearly had worked out enough bits of business for him to do as you can see. Given the timings, the various stories Barney tells about taking his early steps around the NIA would be likely to be around them making this show - with his mother leading G-Force and his father as supersub, you'd like to think they brought him along too.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 05-03-2024

They shouldn't be missing - shouldn't they be in the ITV Archive at the Yorkshire Television studios in Leeds, since the show was an LWT production?

I wonder what Bradley and Barney thought when they found out their version of the show wouldn't have a G-Force?

RE: Gladiators re-revival - James2001 - 05-03-2024

Guess there could still be rights issues surrounding certain episodes being repeated, it happens from time to time.

(05-03-2024, 11:56 AM)agemame Wrote:  Given the timings, the various stories Barney tells about taking his early steps around the NIA would be likely to be around them making this show - with his mother leading G-Force and his father as supersub, you'd like to think they brought him along too.

Barney was born on the 2nd December 1997, the "Celebrities vs Jockeys" episode was first shown on the 27th December 1997, when he was less than 4 weeks old, and would have been filmed months earlier, so it's fair to say he wouldn't have even been born when that episode was made, so there's no way what Barney's recalling is anything to do with this episode. I guess he technically was bought along... as a foetus.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 05-03-2024

(05-03-2024, 05:28 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  They shouldn't be missing - shouldn't they be in the ITV Archive at the Yorkshire Television studios in Leeds, since the show was an LWT production?

I wonder what Bradley and Barney thought when they found out their version of the show wouldn't have a G-Force?

Wasn't purely an LWT production, it was in association with The Samuel Goldwyn Company (which was merged into United Artists which was later IIRC sold to and merged into MGM) - Samuel Goldwyn Compaany owned the original American format I believe.

Anyway it probably does exist but can't be licenced for whatever reason. The episide I posted about was a celebrity special but that hasn't stopped Challenge before, though of course they can only buy what the distributor can sell (or find). Can't see any controversial names on the list of participants for that show (one of them made a racist remark in a pub somewhere about 10 years ago, but that was in the context of their profession and they're still in said profession) so... who knows?

As for G-Force - clearly production decision not to include them or similar groups, though it probably seen as sexist these days - even though there is ability for males to partake in the sport if they wish, though I wouldn't be surprised if its primarily female dominated.