Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 05-03-2024

(05-03-2024, 10:44 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Well it turns out Bradley Walsh was on a 1997 episode of Gladiators:

The episode has been on YouTube for a while, but didn't have this segment in it, which may be the only "Gladiator vs Gladiator" event that I'm aware of. John Anderson's opinion on the game is quite brutal really.

This was from the last episode of Series 6, which I don't think Challenge air for whatever reason.
An entire episode of series 8 is also Gladiator vs Gladiator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4y336ZI5pg 

RE: Gladiators re-revival - thegeek - 07-03-2024

as with SNT, there's no episode on the 16th due to the FA Cup - so the final's presumably now on Easter Saturday.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 09-03-2024

Gauntlet has had it's time limit reduced to 20 seconds and The Edge is now 5 runs for 2 points each instead of 6 runs for 3 points each, reducing the maximum score from 18 to 10. They must've decided those two games were too easy!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Paul O’Brien - 09-03-2024

I think so. Though the problem with the Edge wasn’t so much that it was too easy. It was that if the contender got too many free points if the Gladiator fell off.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 09-03-2024

(09-03-2024, 09:35 PM)Paul O’Brien Wrote:  I think so. Though the problem with the Edge wasn’t so much that it was too easy. It was that if the contender got too many free points if the Gladiator fell off.

You effectively get free points in most of the games if the Gladiator makes a hash of things.
If they fall off the wall you get 10 points if you can get yourself over the top. If you knock somebody off the duel podium you get 10 points. If the gladiator falls off Hang Tough rings and you're far enough along you can get 5 or 10 points. If you fart loud and long enough you get 10 points.

If you get a Glad that effectively cheats, what tends to happen is they get shouted at, disqualified and you get the points.

I don't think this is an "easyness" thing in The Edge, its probably designed to encourage maximum points, rather than the silly situation we had before where the Gladiator fell off and the contestant just stood there dancing when they should have been running. If it was a "free points" thing they'd have put no limit on it at all and in theory at time taken of three seconds per crossing you could have got 60 points, but that's ridiculous when you come to the Eliminator because a 30 second head start off that alone? Not even Usain Bolt can make that deficit up.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Paul O’Brien - 09-03-2024

Yes, but in most games you get 10 free points if the Gladiator messes up. In the Edge you effectively got 18, so the change brings it into line with the other games.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - RhysJR - 10-03-2024

Noteworthy that the procedure for who replaces a non-starting contender has 'changed' from the quarter-final. This time the next best runner-up replaced the injured male contender, rather than a as-yet-unseen reserve. My headcannon for the quarter-final was that the reserve was shadowing the injured contender since he got injured half way through his heat, and then would have replaced him in that episode if needed.

Not sure how rigid the draw is, but two male runner-ups competing against each other today was unfortunate.

(09-03-2024, 08:40 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Gauntlet has had it's time limit reduced to 20 seconds and The Edge is now 5 runs for 2 points each instead of 6 runs for 3 points each, reducing the maximum score from 18 to 10. They must've decided those two games were too easy!

That, or it's like when a quiz has more difficult questions in each round. But I wouldn't be surprised if these changes become permanent, or they are tweaked further if they return.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 10-03-2024

At least it wasn't a total secret that there were stand-ins for contestants in a format where injuries are a high possibility. I suppose its one of the worse case scenarios.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's been set up in such a way that if you lost by a country mile on your first show and everybody else fell by the wayside en-route, it comes back to you. So in theory anybody who gets through to the show can win, though of course you're more likely to win the lottery than win Gladiators by relying on a long string of injuries...

RE: Gladiators re-revival - thegeek - 10-03-2024

a bit of a King Ralph situation, you mean?

I'm not too fussed about how easy it is for the contenders to get points - as long as they've both got an equal chance of getting lots, it makes little difference by the time it comes to the Eliminator.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 10-03-2024

Wonder if the injured contenders will get another chance best year. Might feel a bit of a waste if they got a full spot, especially as I imagine they'll be many more applicants this year, but would be some logic in them being invited back as reserves.