Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - RhysJR - 11-03-2024

(10-03-2024, 11:35 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Wonder if the injured contenders will get another chance best year. Might feel a bit of a waste if they got a full spot, especially as I imagine they'll be many more applicants this year, but would be some logic in them being invited back as reserves.

Is there any precedent from the ITV (or Sky) series for what to do? I agree that it would be nice if they get a chance to return in some form to complete their journey.

Forgot to mention it in my post last night, but it was nice to hear assistant referee Sonia Mkoloma speak last night. She specifically announced a contender's time in Gauntlet. The assistant refs are very much seen but not heard in the series, not that there's much you can expect from those roels really.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Johnr - 11-03-2024

Mark Clatternburg also briefly lost his voice at one point!

They could have just done a retake but instead they allowed Guy Mowbray to reference it in the commentary instead Big Grin

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 11-03-2024

Maybe that's why we heard Sonia talk for a change?

She's not the only one who finally got heard. Viper actually responded to a question (telling Bradley to cut the chat) instead of just silently snarling.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - RhysJR - 11-03-2024

(11-03-2024, 01:21 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  Maybe that's why we heard Sonia talk for a change?

She's not the only one who finally got heard. Viper actually responded to a question (telling Bradley to cut the chat) instead of just silently snarling.

Either that or she is the timekeeper of the three? Clattenburg has a stopwatch but doesn't use it, maybe she actually uses her's.

Do we know how Guy Mowbray's commentary is done? Would it be done in the studio after the event on a rough edit (would make the most sense for me), or would it be done in the arena? And would have John Sachs and Alan Parry done it in the same way?

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Flux - 11-03-2024

(11-03-2024, 01:41 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Either that or she is the timekeeper of the three? Clattenburg has a stopwatch but doesn't use it, maybe she actually uses her's.

Do we know how Guy Mowbray's commentary is done? Would it be done in the studio after the event on a rough edit (would make the most sense for me), or would it be done in the arena? And would have John Sachs and Alan Parry done it in the same way?

I don’t know for sure, but I don’t see the benefit to recording comms live at the arena. If I was producing I’d certainly do it over a few days in the dub once the show has been cut and any editorial issues around disqualifications/wording etc have been agreed. There’s more control over the creative that way, plus it’s more cost effective to call commentators in for a few days’ work in a studio rather than every filming day.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 11-03-2024

Especially since Mobray was probably working around other commitments i.e. his usual commentary on football matches.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 23-03-2024

So what's the latest point in the competition that somebody has had to be substituted?

I can't recall in the original show it being this late!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - SuperSajuuk - 23-03-2024

The injuries seen in this series, on both sides of the game, are honestly a symptom of the fact the episodes were filmed back-to-back with limited opportunity to recouperate from any injuries sustained. Chung probably sustained a slight weakness in his kneecap in the quarters, but it didn't become a problem until the semi's.

If there are future series, I feel that some care should be taken to try and extend the production of the series so that injuries sustained in the heats don't cause withdrawals or substitutions during the crucial business end of the series when a champion is determined. Perhaps that could be achieved by splitting a series in two segments: the first segment being a number of heats early on in the year (maybe 10-12 heats?), then while those episodes are being aired, film the Quarters, Semis' and Final, so that nobody knows who has done the necessary until the episodes actually air.

This would mean that there are 10-12 winners in the heats, but only the top 8 fastest winners in the Eliminator actually qualify: however, the next 2-4 winners are the substitutes if required. I don't remember how the ITV original series handled the selection process of the quarter-finals though, was it just the Top 8 fastest winners or some other method of selection?

We saw Sabre in the Edge despite her hamstring injury in the previous one, but that was a very brief appearance and she wasn't used for any other games this time around. Overall though, I have enjoyed this series, and really hope that the BBC commission two more series, but I do feel the games need a bit more expansion to them, as Powerball and Gauntlet are too small in comparison to their OG versions.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 23-03-2024

Not sure that all needs to be behind a spoiler but I don't think extending it to 10-12 heats would be wise. At most they should go to a 15 episode knock-out format but I think now we're at week 10 it finishing next week feels about right before it outstays it's welcome.

I do think splitting the filming of the heats and then the remaining stages into two blocks is logical - though no need for the to wait to air the heats before filming the second stage. That also adds a new risk of them becoming injury in the intervening period, somewhat negating the problem they're trying to solve. Ultimately injuries in sporting events happen routinely and are rarely preventable - they're just a fact of sporting competition.

I did get the impression tonights substitute deliberately held back at the travellator to allow the contender who had played the entire episode the first chance to meet the final.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 23-03-2024

That substitution meant that neither of the two men had played three rounds. Wesley didn't play a heat, and the other guy was the one Chung beat in his heat, so he didn't play in the quarters (and his family weren't there, they probably went home after his original elimination). The other finalist will feel hard done by if he doesn't win next week's show, and with it the series, considering he'll have had to do more work.

About Sabre, I assumed she sustained her injury last time she played the Edge when she fell on top of the contender (but still hanging on to the platform) and the event was halted, but she still played tonight... only to be knocked off. I'm guessing she WAS already injured, but didn't realise? I wouldn't expect to see her in the final now anyway.