Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - fanoftv - 27-05-2023

The original music package was epic, joyful, serious, energising and camp all at the same time! I hope they bring it back!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Larry the Loafer - 27-05-2023

I fear that the original had so much right that it'll be far too easy to mess this revival up. Granted, I'm talking from a position of deep nostalgia, but there was a solid balance of genuine competition and fun, pantomime elements. The Sky revival had this awful mix of serious characters with no personality, a totally forgettable theme tune that could've easily been lifted from an HBO drama, all topped off with Britney Spears playing whenever the contenders fell into the giant swimming pool.

Am I right in saying the Sky version was heavily based on the American revival that was going at the same time? I know LWT wanted to turn everything up to 11 when they adapted the original American Gladiators, so I'm just hoping the decision makers take more cues from "our" version than any of the others.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Gary Baldy - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 02:49 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I fear that the original had so much right that it'll be far too easy to mess this revival up. Granted, I'm talking from a position of deep nostalgia, but there was a solid balance of genuine competition and fun, pantomime elements. The Sky revival had this awful mix of serious characters with no personality, a totally forgettable theme tune that could've easily been lifted from an HBO drama, all topped off with Britney Spears playing whenever the contenders fell into the giant swimming pool.

Am I right in saying the Sky version was heavily based on the American revival that was going at the same time? I know LWT wanted to turn everything up to 11 when they adapted the original American Gladiators, so I'm just hoping the decision makers take more cues from "our" version than any of the others.

The problem I have is that Gladiators has always felt very ITV- the BBC is the wrong home for it, and C4 and C5 would be awful fits. It really would’ve benefitted ITV to replace Ninja Warrior with Gladiators… have it as a lead-in to BGT.

I hope Challenge get more original Gladiators soon. I

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Jon - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 02:57 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 02:49 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I fear that the original had so much right that it'll be far too easy to mess this revival up. Granted, I'm talking from a position of deep nostalgia, but there was a solid balance of genuine competition and fun, pantomime elements. The Sky revival had this awful mix of serious characters with no personality, a totally forgettable theme tune that could've easily been lifted from an HBO drama, all topped off with Britney Spears playing whenever the contenders fell into the giant swimming pool.

The problem I have is that Gladiators has always felt very ITV- the BBC is the wrong home for it, and C4 and C5 would be awful fits. It really would’ve benefitted ITV to replace Ninja Warrior with Gladiators… have it as a lead-in to BGT.

I hope Challenge get more original Gladiators soon. 
You only think it felt ITV because it was always on ITV. Had it been the other way round, you would be saying it’ll be odd with ads in it. Total Wipeout and the original It’s A Knockout are the same sort of thing and were BBC shows.

Ultimately people will watch if they want to see the programme and they’ll just be less annoyed by interruptions.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 02:57 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  

I hope Challenge get more original Gladiators soon. I
ITV's response to this should be to just make more Ninja Warrior UK. They're still happy to repeat it and now also have the Australian version on ITV2.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 27-05-2023

Think officially it is rested rather than axe but the last version of NWUK was much poorer than earlier series and felt like it was done on the cheap, whilst their Gladiator style "Elite Ninja" twist was just pointless especially as many of the contestants had more pedigree in the format.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - smeg_head - 29-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 02:37 PM)fanoftv Wrote:  The original music package was epic, joyful, serious, energising and camp all at the same time! I hope they bring it back!

I believe the orignal music - with a slight refresh - is being used.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 29-05-2023

The more I hear about this revival the more I like the sound of it. Hopefully we get some images of the arena/games/gladiators in costume this week seeing as they start filming on Wednesday.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 30-05-2023

Two more announced, Athena and Comet. That takes us to 7 women and five men, so I assume at least two more are yet to be announced.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/new-gladiators-athena-and-comet 

RE: Gladiators re-revival - RhysJR - 31-05-2023

The final three Gladiators have been announced, taking us to eight men and eight women. Also revealed is the Gladiator's costumes, and the three referees involved (including ex-Premier League ref Mark Clattenburg).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/gladiators-first-look-and-referees-confirmed 

[Image: p0frg88j.jpg]