Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 23-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 10:30 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  That substitution meant that neither of the two men had played three rounds. Wesley didn't play a heat, and the other guy was the one Chung beat in his heat, so he didn't play in the quarters (and his family weren't there, they probably went home after his original elimination). The other finalist will feel hard done by if he doesn't win next week's show, and with it the series, considering he'll have had to do more work.

The other male finalist is also a runner up so neither will have won every round to be in the final.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - SuperSajuuk - 24-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 09:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not sure that all needs to be behind a spoiler but I don't think extending it to 10-12 heats would be wise. At most they should go to a 15 episode knock-out format but I think now we're at week 10 it finishing next week feels about right before it outstays it's welcome.

I do think splitting the filming of the heats and then the remaining stages into two blocks is logical - though no need for the to wait to air the heats before filming the second stage. That also adds a new risk of them becoming injury in the intervening period, somewhat negating the problem they're trying to solve. Ultimately injuries in sporting events happen routinely and are rarely preventable - they're just a fact of sporting competition.

All excellent and fair points. I checked the original series and they did 8 heats before moving onto 6 final stage episodes [4 qf’s, 2 semis and a final]. Only reason i suggested waiting off to film the final stages was to avoid any leaks of finalists before the heats aired, but it doesn’t seem to have happened for this short run last summer, so you’re right its probably not needed to wait a long time: but long enough to allow for injuries to heal and avoid substitutions.

Re spoiler: parts of the message were a spoiler and others were not. Rather than littering the msg in spoiler tags, it was easier to just spoiler the whole segment and avoid issues. Big Grin

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Keith - 24-03-2024

As others have mentioned I think some of the contestant replacement problems have stemmed from there only being 11 episodes, with just 5 heats and 3 quarter finals. Presumably its the BBC who decide how many episodes to commission, and they may have been erring slightly on the side of caution.

Given that ratings have been a success if recommissioned it'll hopefully get a longer run of 14 or 15 episodes, which would allow for 7/8 heats and 4 quarter finals. With more heats they may potentially be able to film two on the same day, using the same rounds, but not broadcast as subsequent episodes. I suspect this may be why the original 90s series almost always featured The Wall, as the set was permanently in place. They'd probably require a couple additional Gladiators to cope, however I'd assume an extended run would provide a budget increase.

The quarter finals pairings could then be the winners of the heats from the same day, which would mean the contestants would have had at least 3 days rest. Having four quarter finals also means the semi-final can be paired in the order the quarter finals were filmed, to ensure contestants get some rest.

More episodes also gives more contingency in the event of needing to replace or substitute a contestant. For the heats reserve contestants can be used. The for the remaining stages the reserves are the fastest runner-up (or two) from the previous round.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 24-03-2024

One benefit of filming two episodes in one day and then pairing up those winners in the next round would also mean the contestants would have played the same games so it's a level playing field, rather than getting to the semi final and one contestant having played a game on both their previous appearances and the other having not done so.

Practically though I'm not sure whether they could film two episodes at once given they are already filming two competitions side by side with the mens and womens side of the draw. I suspect too for every 10 minutes of action we see that's probably at least half an hour, if not an hour, of filming by the time the game is set up and contestants and Gladiators are put into position and interviews are set up etc. - so doubling up could make it a very long day for the audience unless you split up filming (which they may have already done) so not all rounds are played on the same day. I think though to get the most investment out of your audience in the arena they need to be able to see an episode filmed from start to finish.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 24-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 11:01 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The other male finalist is also a runner up so neither will have won every round to be in the final.
He has at least taken part in every round though.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - RhysJR - 24-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 09:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I did get the impression tonights substitute deliberately held back at the travellator to allow the contender who had played the entire episode the first chance to meet the final.

You weren't too far off there, with the contestant saying that was one of the things he was overthinking about towards the end of his run.

Also from the below, the semi-final shown last night was filmed the say before the final was filmed. Not a massive surprise from what we know about the filming, but that just underlines how tight a turnaround it was for contestants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cx0zw2d0gygo 

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JamieMurph25 - 24-03-2024

One thing I notice on the rerun on BBC Three on Sunday evening, even though BBC One and BBC Two don't use DOGs, BBC Three's DOG obscure the clock on the left hand side, would've thought the BBC put the DOG on the right hand side, based on how the graphics are used in the programme.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 24-03-2024

(24-03-2024, 08:00 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  You weren't too far off there, with the contestant saying that was one of the things he was overthinking about towards the end of his run.

Also from the below, the semi-final shown last night was filmed the say before the final was filmed. Not a massive surprise from what we know about the filming, but that just underlines how tight a turnaround it was for contestants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cx0zw2d0gygo 

Yes, tight turnaround but ultimately outside of football, rugby and the like competing on consecutive days in sporting events is quite normal, and ultimately they're generally competing in 5 one minute events and the Eliminator.

That said fairness is also important and although the first semi finalists will always get a days advantage it does feel harsh for the second semi finalists to get no break at all. I guess that could be avoided if they filmed both men's semi finals on one day and womens the next, but then may just push the issue back one round.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - MajesticBass - 24-03-2024

(24-03-2024, 09:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I guess that could be avoided if they filmed both men's semi finals on one day and womens the next, but then may just push the issue back one round.

I believe the semi-finals was the only day where two episodes were filmed, so these well all filmed on the Saturday with the final on the Sunday.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 26-03-2024

(24-03-2024, 10:49 PM)MajesticBass Wrote:  I believe the semi-finals was the only day where two episodes were filmed, so these well all filmed on the Saturday with the final on the Sunday.
That would explain Sabre being on the Edge in the second semi after getting injured in the same event on the first one. Probably filmed all of the runs of that event for both episodes back to back, and aired them out of order.