Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - RhysJR - 04-04-2024

A celebrity special will be part of Series 2.

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/gladiators-celebspecial-report1 

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 04-04-2024

Hopefully the nature of the show means it is kept to one celebrity special a year, which I suspect would air in advance of the series over Christmas.

I'm guessing the filming might be in late summer/early autumn this year as the closing date isn't until the 13th June for applications. I guess ideally for a show like Gladiators you want to film as much as you can during the school holidays.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - RhysJR - 04-04-2024

(04-04-2024, 04:17 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Hopefully the nature of the show means it is kept to one celebrity special a year, which I suspect would air in advance of the series over Christmas.

I'm guessing the filming might be in late summer/early autumn this year as the closing date isn't until the 13th June for applications. I guess ideally for a show like Gladiators you want to film as much as you can during the school holidays.

I think an article 'confirming the renewal I posted a few pages back said filming is set for August, which ties in well with all of your abive points.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - mixchris - 04-04-2024

(04-04-2024, 04:03 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  A celebrity special will be part of Series 2.

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/gladiators-celebspecial-report1 

Why do shows like Gladiators, Pointless and The Chase get “celebrity specials”? It was the same when The Crystal Maze got rebooted by Channel 4

RE: Gladiators re-revival - gottago - 04-04-2024

(04-04-2024, 04:56 PM)mixchris Wrote:  Why do shows like Gladiators, Pointless and The Chase get “celebrity specials”? It was the same when The Crystal Maze got rebooted by Channel 4

Because people like watching them, they rate well and they give the channel better value for money by making more use out of the expense of a production team and set build.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 04-04-2024

The thing is more often than not people say they don't like them, they don't rate particularly better than civilian editions and actually have a higher per episode cost because of the celeb fees (the BBC not so bad, but ITV used to often pay the celebs more than the prize on offer for charity).

Personally I think the trick to celebrity specials is ensuring they're infrequent enough to actually be special - and not just getting any old celeb on. Ideally if they could make the 2024 edition an Olympians special that would be better than just random celebs, but might be filming a bit too soon off the back of the Olympics to make that happen.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - tellyblues - 04-04-2024

If Pointless and The Chase civilian episodes were shown Saturday nights I reckon there would be more complaints (rightly so) about the BBC and ITV being lazy but seemingly it's OK because it's celebs.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - SuperSajuuk - 04-04-2024

(04-04-2024, 04:56 PM)mixchris Wrote:  Why do shows like Gladiators, Pointless and The Chase get “celebrity specials”? It was the same when The Crystal Maze got rebooted by Channel 4
Celebrity specials can be packaged and sold on as standalone episodes, because they have no returning contestants so there's no narrative. If you wanted to sell something abroad but your audience in another country (or the broadcaster in another country) may not want a full-length civilian series, celebrity episodes are a good thing to have for the broadcaster as a "taster".

I don't have issues with celebrity specials personally, they're a bit of a laugh at the people who get picked that often struggle with relatively basic things that most others can do easily. Big Grin Tongue

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 04-04-2024

Does it make any difference to sales if the celebrities are relatively known in their home countries only? I'd dare say "big" international names are probably out of the budget of most TV show celebrity specials.

Looking at some of the performances of the celebrities on Crystal Maze it sort of makes things look far harder than they actually are as its sometimes obvious they're just faffing around aimlessly for fun. I think it was insinuated in the 1990s the production would rather have a poke in the eye than make a celebrity special for that incarnation of the show.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - tellyblues - 04-04-2024

UK celebs may or may not be known in other countries but them faffing about and making a show look "interesting" is what other countries want in shows. Over here our standards are different.