Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 01-06-2023

In series 1 that was a fairy regular occurrence- you'd see half of the Swingshot set in the background while Hang Tough was going on for example - but that was only series 1 when there were only 6 games and so it was fairly routine.

Once the pool of games increased it would have been rare to see other games set up in the background while a game was going on (unless it was something quite simple to set up like Whiplash where the only equipment to set up was a mat).

And, as mentioned , The Wall was a fixed set-piece.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 07:42 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  Maybe its just the image playing tricks on me, but doesn't that seem like an awfully small arena to have something like the Eliminator [the end of show game to see who goes through to the next round] running? I remember the original filling the majority of the available space in the arena they used at Birmingham, so I wonder if they aren't going to have the Eliminator in this revival?

I do think that if there is a second series, they need a proper 10,000 audience arena, to avoid the situation with the ticketing recurring again. I'm not even sure why they didn't just go back to the OG venue from before, now the Utilita Arena, unless they simply didn't have the venue available when they attempted to book it. It would have made more sense to go back to their roots really.

From memory Powerball seemed to take up a bit more of the floor in the NIA than it seems to here - hard to be sure though as I can't find any shots taken from the same angle in the original series.
The ticketing sounds like a total farce and from what I read online the production company are saying they only learned this morning that they had 3000 capacity, not 10000 and are blaming the arena changing the capacity on them last minute. Apparently there's cancellation emails going out to people who originally had tickets for tomorrow as I type.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - MajesticBass - 01-06-2023

How on earth does the capacity change by that much? It seats about 9k for Ice hockey, so I can't see what's happened to the other 6k!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - DJ Dave - 01-06-2023

I went to see if in 1996 so I would have been about 10 or 11, and I remember it took hours to film then.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - agemame - 02-06-2023

Not sure I buy the last minute change of capacity - as MajesticBass says, that's not dissimilar to the regular seating configuration of the arena which is 9 - 10k.

One big issue the arena has is that the ceiling isn't as high as some equivalent venues, so you can't store anywhere near as much in the flies as you could at the NIA. The area where the screens are is the backstage area, so it may be that that has been pushed forward to put more storage in, but that still wouldn't take out 6000 seats. This could explain the longer filming times, too.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - iloveTV1 - 02-06-2023

https://twitter.com/ApplauseStoreUK/status/1664565189792919555 

RE: Gladiators re-revival - WillPS - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 11:17 AM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  https://twitter.com/ApplauseStoreUK/status/1664565189792919555 

Right click --> Ignore spelling error

Also note the lack of any real remorse. It'd serve them right if nobody shows up next time.

Shambles.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - iloveTV1 - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 11:30 AM)WillPS Wrote:  Right click --> Ignore spelling error

Also note the lack of any real remorse. It'd serve them right if nobody shows up next time.

Shambles.

Also fails to mention the fact that people have apparently had their tickets cancelled the night before the show.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - RDJ - 02-06-2023

Nice to see Applause Store hasn’t changed.

Exactly the same thing happened to me 14 years ago when travelling to the X Factor auditions in Cardiff. We got an email one hour before saying our tickets had been cancelled which we obviously didn’t see.

A lot of disappointed people including ourselves couldn’t get in, even though hotels had been booked. Sounds like the practise has continued but to a much bigger degree in Sheffield.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Jon - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 02:49 PM)RDJ Wrote:  Nice to see Applause Store hasn’t changed.

Exactly the same thing happened to me 14 years ago when travelling to the X Factor auditions in Cardiff. We got an email one hour before saying our tickets had been cancelled which we obviously didn’t see.
Surely that’s in the small print with the free tickets. They tell you not everyone will get in. 

Obviously what makes this different is the sheer number of people missing out and the fact it’ll be disappointed families as well.