Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Stu - 02-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 07:42 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  I remember the original filling the majority of the available space in the arena they used at Birmingham, so I wonder if they aren't going to have the Eliminator in this revival?

I was recently prepping another show's lighting rig in a warehouse next to the Gladiators lot doing their rig - they said all the classic games were back, including the Eliminator being identical to the original.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 08:33 PM)Stu Wrote:  I was recently prepping another show's lighting rig in a warehouse next to the Gladiators lot doing their rig - they said all the classic games were back, including the Eliminator being identical to the original.

Ticket issues aside it sounds like a respectful and well thought out update. I don't love the new Gladiator uniforms - too shiny for my taste - but it's easy to imagine that the original series costumes might have eventually evolved into something similar with the individual styles and small personal logos against a more generic colour palate.

Looking forward to seeing what is considered the 'classic' games are - obviously The Wall, Powerball and Gauntlet and Duel are back - but I haven't heard any others mentioned as yet. I also read that there was a new game yesterday, but no spoilers as to what that was.

And great to hear the Eliminator hasn't been messed around with!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Larry the Loafer - 02-06-2023

Everything about the show itself is giving me unexpected optimism. My only remaining concern is the personalities of the Gladiators themselves. If it transpires that the new cast are still a variety of cheeky ones, nice ones, menacing ones etc, I think they might well knock it out the park.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 02-06-2023

The way things are at the moment they'll be hoping the Gladiators they've cast have got the blandest least controversial histories imaginable.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Stu - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 08:54 PM)PJamo Wrote:  Ticket issues aside it sounds like a respectful and well thought out update. I don't love the new Gladiator uniforms - too shiny for my taste - but it's easy to imagine that the original series costumes might have eventually evolved into something similar with the individual styles and small personal logos against a more generic colour palate.

Looking forward to seeing what is considered the 'classic' games are - obviously The Wall, Powerball and Gauntlet and Duel are back - but I haven't heard any others mentioned as yet. I also read that there was a new game yesterday, but no spoilers as to what that was.

And great to hear the Eliminator hasn't been messed around with!
Hopefully what the crew told me will turn out to be the case - they said this version is more authentic to the 90s itv one. Some had worked on the Sky 00s version and said the reason it didn't work is they chopped and changed too much. 

But when were chatting about it, they said everything you'd want to be in there would be there so here's hoping! 😀

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 09:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The way things are at the moment they'll be hoping the Gladiators they've cast have got the blandest least controversial histories imaginable.
It's not like the original show was without any controversy. Remember what happened to Shadow?

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 02-06-2023

The Sky version attempted to script personalities for the Gladiators (there's a GladPod episode with Enigma and Doom, and another with Wolf, which mentions this) - a stark contrast to the original series where a lot of the 'persona' of  gladiator came down to the gladiator's reaction to being o  camera. For example, Jet's famous 'leg guitar' and hair flips was a reaction to not knowing what to do when the camera came on to her. Wolf's persona was him playing up for the camera, as was Siren's cheekiness.

I'm hoping the production take notes and let the Gladiators be themselves rather than characters- that was a big factor to why the Sky version felt mean spirited at times

RE: Gladiators re-revival - fanoftv - 03-06-2023

I was lucky to go to Friday’s recording.
It was a fantastic experience, the Gladiators seem like a great mix of people/characters, and the games are a mix of classics and new.
Screens and lighting are utilised well in the arena to create a modern interpretation of the 1990s set.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 11:14 AM)fanoftv Wrote:  I was lucky to go to Friday’s recording.
It was a fantastic experience, the Gladiators seem like a great mix of people/characters, and the games are a mix of classics and new.
Screens and lighting are utilised well in the arena to create a modern interpretation of the 1990s set.

How were Bradley and Barney? They seem like the biggest wildcards in this revival!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - fanoftv - 03-06-2023

You didn’t see much of them out of the whole day (started filming around 2pm, finished around 8pm), they just popped out to do their links and interviews, however what when we did see them they were good; Brad was good at interacting with the crowd in between takes, Barney seems like a solid choice when discussing the events with the contestants and gladiators afterwards.