Pres Café
BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service (/showthread.php?tid=567)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service - Lester - 17-12-2023

Surely, Freely has come about because people aren't watching linear TV as much as the public tend to stream everything either through their TVs or sticks/boxes/mobile devices and in a lot of cases they have "cut the cord" (in this case the aerial). Why wouldn't Freely do an App to stream linear TV (Freeview) as that would be the biggest amount of people covered straight away? Bizarre if they didn't!

These days, the broadcast channels are just big promotional devices to their streaming apps anyway so it'd just be another method (advert) to bring people into their "main event" (iPlayer, ITVX etc) as it were.

RE: BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service - all new phil - 17-12-2023

(17-12-2023, 11:41 AM)Lester Wrote:  Surely, Freely has come about because people aren't watching linear TV as much as the public tend to stream everything either through their TVs or sticks/boxes/mobile devices and in a lot of cases they have "cut the cord" (in this case the aerial). Why wouldn't Freely do an App to stream linear TV (Freeview) as that would be the biggest amount of people covered straight away? Bizarre if they didn't!

These days, the broadcast channels are just big promotional devices to their streaming apps anyway so it'd just be another method (advert) to bring people into their "main event" (iPlayer, ITVX etc) as it were.

Because it’s not an app? It’s the entire operating system. I’d say more likely is they develop a box like Sky Stream - I’m not sure a Fire stick or equivalent would have the processing power needed.

RE: BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service - Lester - 17-12-2023

(17-12-2023, 12:16 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Because it’s not an app? It’s the entire operating system. I’d say more likely is they develop a box like Sky Stream - I’m not sure a Fire stick or equivalent would have the processing power needed.

Hmm OK!! You say that as fact but if you look at what those sticks etc actually do now you'll see that it's much the same, the ability to channel hop through channels. Look at what Fire TV Live channels do right now?

RE: BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service - cable - 17-12-2023

(17-12-2023, 12:16 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Because it’s not an app? It’s the entire operating system. I’d say more likely is they develop a box like Sky Stream - I’m not sure a Fire stick or equivalent would have the processing power needed.

is it? TVs are released around the world so i doubt it will be the only thing baked in. At best it will be middleware with a hardware abstraction layer to support various manufacturers and environments. I would also expect to see some high end 2023 TVs upgradable to it with some sort of firmware update, after all they must have been "testing". I would expect to see some sort of plug-in adaptor supporting it, but perhaps as we have seen with Sky Glass - not necessarily straight away perhaps as a concern of not overloading peoples WIFI connections (when used on 2nd or 3rd TVs) who still use older standards, and the continued rollout of fibre over the coming years.

RE: BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service - orange - 18-12-2023

Fire sticks and TV boxes in general run IPTV apps and services extremely well - that’s why they’re so popular with a different kind of consumer… and also the reason things like Pluto and Freevee exist. They’re pushing FAST TV as much as they can - there’s literally a TV guide button on the fire TV remote now.

Hence part of my confusion. You can already consume FAST TV easily and you can consume all the channels from Freeview on there anyway with other means. Same goes for mobile devices *easily*. Surely providing something that’s legal and accessible to the general population is going to give linear TV a bit of a leg up in the current technology era? These channels already have apps but like I keep saying they are usually really not great to consume live with. Having live channels in one place for the online consumers would do wonders.

RE: BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service - Brekkie - 18-12-2023

Remember it's in the very early stages with Freely so it may eventually come to Firesticks. There may also be rights issues to address so you don't have a lesser version available in such a manner and it's probably less about the technology of the smart stick and more about the costs and technicalities of getting it on the app store. Presumably Freeview have some kind of relationship with manufacturers too which they'll want to protect.

RE: BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service - cable - 18-12-2023

what would be good if if they designed it to work with CI modules that you could slide into the TV unlocking extra functionality.

RE: BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service - Former Member 2410 - 19-12-2023

(18-12-2023, 05:50 PM)cable Wrote:  what would be good if if they designed it to work with CI modules that you could slide into the TV unlocking extra functionality.

Interesting thought, but I think the days of CI modules (along with smart-cards for TV) are, for the most part, over. TV manufacturers don't want to support them, consumers don't understand them and no-one really wants them. Freely will be built into to most / all TV's in due course. Firmware upgrades can take care of the rest, so long as manufacturers actually upgrade their sets. I do think there should be a minimum set lifetime for upgrades (say 7 years), though this would either need voluntary co-operation by manufacturers (unlikely when the same sets are sold around the world, just with different firmware), or it would need government legislation - also unlikely for various reasons.

RE: BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service - i.h - 19-12-2023

I think the more salient point is that CI modules aren't really designed for that sort of use - they are literally just decryption modules.

I don't think it's fair to say TV manufacturers don't want to support them, nor are they hard to understand if there was a need to use them here. They are widely used in Europe in place of set top boxes, eg. I stayed in a hotel in Switzerland earlier in the year and each TV had a UPC CAM and card and was presumably connected to the local cable network. (ironically I couldn't use it because a previous guest had fiddled with the module and bent the pins in the TV lol). The UK is an outlier in that both Sky and Virgin require their set top box, though ON/ITV digital and Top Up TV did issue CAMs.

But in terms of new UK services, it would make more sense to see a commitment to software upgrades and updates, though I suspect people would balk at not being able to buy a TV for pennies in a supermarket.

RE: BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service - cable - 19-12-2023

(19-12-2023, 08:45 PM)i.h Wrote:  I think the more salient point is that CI modules aren't really designed for that sort of use - they are literally just decryption modules.

are they not? this would seem to suggest otherwise https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/09/18/iptv-without-the-box-in-ci-plus-upgrade/