Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - TMD_24 - 28-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 06:49 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Yes, now Richard Quest is the anchor who is on scene in Turkey, two weeks ago it was Becky herself and no studio was used.,

On a separate note, Friday saw for the first time an anchorless intro for CNN This Morning.

[Image: image.png]
Also a rarely seen substitution was in AC360 the same day, with John King taking Anderson's seat.

No, just CNN International, like two weeks ago. Domestic goes with the replay of Fareed right now.

John King also did CNN Tonight afterwards as well. As you said though, very rare for John King to do any cover outside of Inside Politics.

RE: CNN - interestednovice - 28-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 06:49 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Yes, now Richard Quest is the anchor who is on scene in Turkey, two weeks ago it was Becky herself and no studio was used.,

On a separate note, Friday saw for the first time an anchorless intro for CNN This Morning.

[Image: image.png]
Also a rarely seen substitution was in AC360 the same day, with John King taking Anderson's seat.

No, just CNN International, like two weeks ago. Domestic goes with the replay of Fareed right now.
This would probably get similarly short-shrift from management as criticisms of the BBC covering up the international feed on the UK merged news channel in favour of radio simulcasts and simulcast of other domestic output, but given there was breaking international news already being covered by the CNNI team that was significant you would have thought that they could have dropped the scheduled repeat on CNN US - it is supposed to be a news channel after all.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 28-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 06:59 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  John King also did CNN Tonight afterwards as well. As you said though, very rare for John King to do any cover outside of Inside Politics.
I know it’s on account of the Memorial Day holiday, but it’s still interesting considering John King is about to leave the weekday Inside Politics anchor seat.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 28-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 07:40 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  This would probably get similarly short-shrift from management as criticisms of the BBC covering up the international feed on the UK merged news channel in favour of radio simulcasts and simulcast of other domestic output, but given there was breaking international news already being covered by the CNNI team that was significant you would have thought that they could have dropped the scheduled repeat on CNN US - it is supposed to be a news channel after all.

I think time zones are a factor in this, they want to repeat (or air a second edition of) their main Sunday political shows for domestic audience living on the West Coast at a reasonable time. Of course, if there is a major breaking news or a live event, they switch to covering it, but usually it is the case for domestic stuff, not for presidential election overseas.

Mind you, unlike UK viewers in regard to former BBC World News, US cable viewers usually do have access to CNNI as well as CNN Domestic, so they have the choice - watch repeat of top Sunday morning programs or switch to a live coverage of Turkey elections on CNNI.

UPD. BTW, Lynda Kinkade in Atlanta took over Turkey Election Coverage from Becky Anderson at 4:30 ET

RE: CNN - newsfan22 - 28-05-2023

Odd to see that CNNi has as a guest an editor from TRT World, and not from CNN Turk.

RE: CNN - ginnyfan - 28-05-2023

I prefer the background used tonight on CTW instead of the usual one.

[Image: CTW-28-05-2023.jpg]

[Image: CTW-04-05-2023-1.jpg]

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 29-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 09:07 PM)oscillon Wrote:  I think time zones are a factor in this, they want to repeat (or air a second edition of) their main Sunday political shows for domestic audience living on the West Coast at a reasonable time. Of course, if there is a major breaking news or a live event, they switch to covering it, but usually it is the case for domestic stuff, not for presidential election overseas.

Mind you, unlike UK viewers in regard to former BBC World News, US cable viewers usually do have access to CNNI as well as CNN Domestic, so they have the choice - watch repeat of top Sunday morning programs or switch to a live coverage of Turkey elections on CNNI.

UPD. BTW, Lynda Kinkade in Atlanta took over Turkey Election Coverage from Becky Anderson at 4:30 ET

In the U.S., some cable or satellite packages offer CNNI…. But it’s not the norm.  And if it’s included at all, it might be in a more premium package.   Not to mention…. It’s gonna have a really high channel number.  So unless you’re seeking it out, you’re not likely gonna stumble on it.

— BUT — 

Anyone with access to CNN in the U.S. should also be able to watch CNNI on the app or on CNN.com. But how many even know that’s an option?  Not too many, I wager.

I’ve encountered so many Americans who don’t even know CNNI exists.  I have to explain: it’s the CNN the rest of the world sees!  

And it’s pretty obvious why domestic would rather play a replay of Inside Politics (or whatever) rather than in depth coverage of the Turkey election.

Edited to add: I was watching earlier — domestic WAS doing live hits about Turkey during its newscasts.

Quick hits sure. But there’s just no way an American audience would watch an entire hour or more on it.

And quite a bit is happening politically right now in the US. with the debt ceiling and all…

RE: CNN - interestednovice - 29-05-2023

I supppse that’s logical, and as you say an American audience just wouldn’t care about another country’s election, regardless of how historic it may be. They especially wouldn’t care if it wasn’t a key ally of the US.

So rolling international-focused coverage probably wouldn’t be appropriate, but I was thinking it was implied that they hadn’t covered it at all (when I would expect them to). If it was covered throughout other bulletins then that is probably the correct level of coverage for the audience. I also wasn’t really thinking about the time zone angle. I was thinking simplistically there as an either/or all or nothing situation - which, in reality, it clearly wasn’t.

Perhaps I am used to that thinking in terms of coverage now as that’s the logic the BBC do use on their new channel!

Anyway, I retract my earlier comments because CNN probably did make the right calls here, on reflection.

PS: The debt ceiling, yes stuff is happening although the text isn’t out yet so there’s really nothing to say other than “we think there’s a deal, there’s going to be a vote in a few days, the text will be released soon”. Anything more than basic reaction from Democrats and Republicans is just talking heads in the name of analysis. I know cable news loves to have their panels, but the stage to start poring over it (in my view) is once the text of the deal is released.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 30-05-2023

Erica Hill has been covering CNN This Morning since Kaitlan’s departure last week. Yesterday Rahel Solomon covered for Poppy, which I think is the first time the show has aired without any of the core three (or one at this point).

RE: CNN - gman - 30-05-2023

(29-05-2023, 05:01 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  I supppse that’s logical, and as you say an American audience just wouldn’t care about another country’s election, regardless of how historic it may be. They especially wouldn’t care if it wasn’t a key ally of the US.

And in the not to distant future, CNNI will more than likely be airing wall to wall coverage of the US election! As it is, the primaries are months away and there are already too many Trump/Desantis discussions. 
For me, give me the highlights and then give me world news but that will never happen!