Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - mouseboy33 - 15-06-2023

CNNI runs on a shoestring budget. One World and creations of new programming or newsblocks on CNNI doesnt seem to be a priority.

From what I understand. They are slowly transitioning the gallery control from CNN Center to Turner Techwood Campus. The article says the other programmes will be next so you can image First Move, One World, and Isa Soares Tonight will be the next programmes to transition.

From the way it sounds, the studios for now, will continue to be a CNN Centre and then they will shut them down at the end of the year. So it seems they have to move the production teams/ gallery operators for those programmes, from CNN Center get them settled at Turner Techwood, but the anchors seemingly will be at CNN Center for a bit.

Keep in mind CNN is pretty good at moving its operations. Remember they moved from Columbus Circle to Hudson Yards a few back. And they only way we knew was when the studios went to air. But seemingly their major control room will still be in Atlanta at Turner Techwood for most CNN/CNNi programming with some regional control at DC,NY,LDN,AD. No mention of HK some as a broadcast site they had really reduced their footprint there to a DTL. But with HK now under full control of China maybe it seems it was a good idea to close it as a broadcast site and reduce it to just a bureau status.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 15-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 07:43 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  No mention of HK some as a broadcast site they had really reduced their footprint there to a DTL. But with HK now under full control of China maybe it seems it was a good idea to close it as a broadcast site and reduce it to just a bureau status.
They actually had 2 hours of Newsroom from HK with Anna Coren this early morning (2am-4am ET), so they still use it from time to time for ahcoring.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 15-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 07:43 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  The article says the other programmes will be next so you can image First Move, One World, and Isa Soares Tonight will be the next programmes to transition.
I think my confusion is why those three shows in particular aren’t produced using the same control room as one of the others one the list. Surely if CNNi are on a shoestring budget they’d consolidate control room shifts?

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 15-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 09:16 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  I think my confusion is why those three shows in particular aren’t produced using the same control room as one of the others one the list. Surely if CNNi are on a shoestring budget they’d consolidate control room shifts?

At the moment, NYC takes over from Atlanta when  This Morning goes on air, or even Early Start. I'm not sure how long NYC take control for though.

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 15-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 07:43 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  CNNI runs on a shoestring budget. One World and creations of new programming or newsblocks on CNNI doesnt seem to be a priority. 

From what I understand. They are slowly transitioning the gallery control from CNN Center to Turner Techwood Campus.  The article says the other programmes will be next so you can image First Move, One World, and Isa Soares Tonight will be the next programmes to transition.

From the way it sounds, the studios for now, will continue to be a CNN Centre and then they will shut them down at the end of the year.  So it seems they have to move the production teams/ gallery operators for those programmes, from CNN Center get them settled at Turner Techwood, but the anchors seemingly will be at CNN Center for a bit.

Keep in mind CNN is pretty good at moving its operations. Remember they moved from Columbus Circle to Hudson Yards a few back. And they only way we knew was when the studios went to air. But seemingly their major control room will still be in Atlanta at Turner Techwood for most CNN/CNNi programming with some regional control at DC,NY,LDN,AD. No mention of HK some as a broadcast site they had really reduced their footprint there to a DTL. But with HK now under full control of China maybe it seems it was a good idea to close it as a broadcast site and reduce it to just a bureau status.

I'm inclined to think that the article did not mention HK because there is no regular programming which would've required immediate work to enable control room control from Techwood unlike DC, NY, LDN and AD which have regular programming and not because it won't get the same treatment. Maybe it's even already been done yet simply not mentioned?

RE: CNN - mouseboy33 - 15-06-2023

I know it previously was known generically as Techwood. But it has been re-christened Turner Techwood Campus in honour of the founder of CNN, Ted Turner.

Ak25_ - Ak25_ - 16-06-2023

Probably a silly question. But when we say “controlled” from techwood. Does this mean the stuff we see on air, like cameras, pictures and directors are all basically in another city. Ie the control room in Atlanta controls everything being presented from London?

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 16-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 09:19 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  At the moment, NYC takes over from Atlanta when  This Morning goes on air, or even Early Start. I'm not sure how long NYC take control for though.

Well let’s not confuse domestic with CNNI.  But yeah, after the CNNI overnight shows (with at least the 4am ET show being simulcast) — on domestic, NY then takes control at 5am with Early Start.  

Then it’s back to Atlanta for the dayside shows starting at 9am (CNN News Central).  

Inside Politics may be controlled out of DC, not sure.   But then it’s back to Atlanta for the afternoon News Central at 1pm.  

DC takes over with the Lead at 4pm, continuing with Sit Room at 6pm.  

NY takes over for the night at 7pm starting with Erin Burnett Outfront.  

Back to Atlanta for CNNI overnights at 12a (varies how much of this is actually shown on domestic…. Usually at least one hour, sometimes all 5…. And it’s 6 hours into weekends).

RE: Ak25_ - EastCoast - 16-06-2023

(16-06-2023, 12:10 AM)Ak25_ Wrote:  Probably a silly question. But when we say “controlled” from techwood. Does this mean the stuff we see on air, like cameras, pictures and directors are all basically in another city. Ie the control room in Atlanta controls everything being presented from London?
As an outsider that’s what I assume it means. 

For simplicity sake you can lump everyone into three “groups”. The studio group includes the anchor, manual camera operators and sometimes a floor director, hair and makeup, etc. that need to be local to the anchor. The control group include the technical director, producer, teleprompter, automatic camera operators, graphics and audio teams can be down the hall or across the world. Finally the newsgathering team, which is usually where the control room is, but not always.

Do any CNNI shows use the gallery in London? Or are they all Atlanta?

RE: CNN - interestednovice - 16-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 07:43 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Keep in mind CNN is pretty good at moving its operations. Remember they moved from Columbus Circle to Hudson Yards a few back. And they only way we knew was when the studios went to air.
I remember it first being noticed that the move was imminent when they started to dismantle the newsroom behind the set of Early Start!

A sort of “desk watch” then started back over on the blue place as less and less office furniture was left behind the set.

Eventually, the former newsroom was empty for about a week’s worth of Early Start editions before, finally, the anchors themselves moved to the new Hudson Yards set.

(15-06-2023, 08:18 PM)oscillon Wrote:  They actually had 2 hours of Newsroom from HK with Anna Coren this early morning (2am-4am ET), so they still use it from time to time for ahcoring.

That HK Newsroom with Anna Coren is a regular/semi-regular thing still, I think. Mind you, it’s not really highlighted as a HK broadcast in the same way London, for example, is. The proper studio in HK is also not used for it, even though it’s still there and used sometimes for prerecords. CNN Newsroom always comes from a flash set.

Kristie Lu Stout (the former NewsStream presenter) has even done the HK edition of Newsroom on occasion.

It’s nice to see that CNN haven’t given up on HK as a bureau completely, and I’d say it still exists as a broadcast site (technically) but is just not as prominently featured in the schedules as it once was. That could easily change, though.