Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: Ak25_ - inletwindow - 16-06-2023

(16-06-2023, 02:01 AM)EastCoast Wrote:  As an outsider that’s what I assume it means. 

For simplicity sake you can lump everyone into three “groups”. The studio group includes the anchor, manual camera operators and sometimes a floor director, hair and makeup, etc. that need to be local to the anchor. The control group include the technical director, producer, teleprompter, automatic camera operators, graphics and audio teams can be down the hall or across the world. Finally the newsgathering team, which is usually where the control room is, but not always.

Do any CNNI shows use the gallery in London? Or are they all Atlanta?
The main control room is in Atlanta for all CNNI shows.  There are reasons to sometimes also use control rooms in London and Abu Dhabi though.  

CTW has producers in Abu Dhabi and some London shows have producers in London.

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 16-06-2023

Here's a great look inside the Control Room at Hudson Yards. Captured on the day CNN went live from Hudson Yards. Also check out the Early Start video on the same Youtube page - considering it was the first show, everyone seems totally chilled and calm.

https://youtu.be/j3rhjYCChg0 

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 16-06-2023

(16-06-2023, 02:41 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  I remember it first being noticed that the move was imminent when they started to dismantle the newsroom behind the set of Early Start!

A sort of “desk watch” then started back over on the blue place as less and less office furniture was left behind the set.

Eventually, the former newsroom was empty for about a week’s worth of Early Start editions before, finally, the anchors themselves moved to the new Hudson Yards set.

That HK Newsroom with Anna Coren is a regular/semi-regular thing still, I think. Mind you, it’s not really highlighted as a HK broadcast in the same way London, for example, is. The proper studio in HK is also not used for it, even though it’s still there and used sometimes for prerecords. CNN Newsroom always comes from a flash set.

Kristie Lu Stout (the former NewsStream presenter) has even done the HK edition of Newsroom on occasion.

It’s nice to see that CNN haven’t given up on HK as a bureau completely, and I’d say it still exists as a broadcast site (technically) but is just not as prominently featured in the schedules as it once was. That could easily change, though.

It's regular in the sense that if there are no other anchors in Atlanta for the overnight, Anna Coren (most frequently) and sometimes KLS will pop up from HK.

The studio in HK isn't very practical for anything but stand-up anchoring (there's also no desk) which is likely why it always comes from a flash set.

RE: CNN - interestednovice - 17-06-2023

Yes, that makes sense completely.

That studio was basically designed for NewsStream, and wouldn’t work that well for a conventional news bulletin, as you say.

It’s quite useful for stand-up explainers though.

RE: CNN - ATLerinHK - 18-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 08:18 PM)oscillon Wrote:  They actually had 2 hours of Newsroom from HK with Anna Coren this early morning (2am-4am ET), so they still use it from time to time for ahcoring.

Maybe it's wishful thinking but the way they use Anna Coren and KLS as back-ups for Newsroom gives me a small piece of hope that one day HK will have a daily broadcast again. I don't think it's coming anytime soon, but maybe the new CEO will have an interest in CNNi.

I still think we should be getting an Asia breakfast show like YWT or CNN Today, both produced outside of HK, but it made me feel like they still somewhat cared about this side of the world. It's completely useless for us to have to watch the Situation Room and Outfront.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 18-06-2023

It makes no sense to me that a 24 hour news channel with bureaus around the world only broadcasts from Atlanta in the dead of night. It would make much more sense to have a four hour block (10p-2a) from HK followed by a four hour block from London (2a-6a). Atlanta should have its own block during daylight hours on the east coast.

RE: CNN - mouseboy33 - 18-06-2023

Unfortunately CNNi, amongst the big 3 international news channels (CNN,AJE,BBC) is the only one that is truly commercial. So there are financial limitations that dont exist as much, certainly for AJE, and to a lesser extent for BBC. CNN is truly 100% commercially funded. There isnt a "sugar-daddy" funding from a oil-rich sheik or a license -fee from British citizens (Yes I know the funding model for the BBC is complex and has some commercial considerations, blah blah blah). So its likely CNN HK took the hit in not being able to afford another broadcast site anymore in Asia. The days are over when CNN started the genre and was the only game in town, now every tin-pot banana republic has a 24hr news channel, and there are loads more international news channels than ever before.

RE: CNN - JMT1985 - 18-06-2023

Just to clarify BBC News (International) or BBC World News as it was known before, is commercially funded. Funded by commercials and subscription revenue. So they do have to think about their financial income too.

RE: CNN - interestednovice - 19-06-2023

Yes, but they get a “top-up”/subsidy from the LF which equates to more-or-less “guaranteed” income to run the channel (admittedly that only pays for about half of it, but the pure commercial pressure is not there in the same way).

With a fully-commercial channel, if you don’t get the ratings, you don’t get the advertisers, and if you don’t get the advertisers you don’t get the money you are asking for. So you have to accept advertisers paying less, and make cuts accordingly.

RE: CNN - interestednovice - 19-06-2023

(09-06-2023, 06:34 PM)xlalonce Wrote:  But in the end that sounds sloppy once you start EVERY edition with that phrase. Was even worse in the Orange Ages Big Grin 
*And thanks for the correction, it is in fact "ON THE AIR" Smile
I know it’s been a while since you posted this, but I absolutely agree and I’ve just unearthed this video which I simply had to share because it covers all of this:

1) Several stories are breaking news, despite no obvious recent developments other than what would be considered normal news cycle updates on ongoing stories for most of them. This “dilutes” the seriousness of the one story which was genuinely up-to-the-minute (the wildfires).

2) EVERY STORY is “tonight”!

3) The broadcast even starts with some apparent breaking news developments (not mentioned in the headlines) “as we come on the air tonight”!

4) It ends with a strange “think of the children, TONIGHT” segment!

You couldn’t make this stuff up, and it totally loses all sense of proportion and meaning if all stories are breaking/urgent and all stories are “tonight” as if new developments have just occurred when they clearly haven’t and it’s information from hours ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jnppRTX6jJE