Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - Charles - 19-06-2023

(18-06-2023, 06:28 AM)EastCoast Wrote:  It makes no sense to me that a 24 hour news channel with bureaus around the world only broadcasts from Atlanta in the dead of night. It would make much more sense to have a four hour block (10p-2a) from HK followed by a four hour block from London (2a-6a). Atlanta should have its own block during daylight hours on the east coast.

I doubt CNN would want to invest too many additional resources into HK given the current political climate. I doubt the bureau will ever close so long as foreign press is still allowed to operate there, but I think the days of CNN having multiple anchors presenting several hours of live news from there are never coming back.

I never really understood the overnight Atlanta news block either, but they must have their reasons. As I recall, while the London morning news block had its high points, it started to get a bit inconsistent at the end during the Don Riddell and Zain Verjee era. I remember thinking the quality of the program improved when they moved it to Atlanta (and, for a while, LA).

RE: CNN - kookaburra - 19-06-2023

The Hong Kong output always punched above its weight. Loved the glory days of CNN Today with Hugh and Shakuntala.

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 10:04 AM)Charles Wrote:  I doubt CNN would want to invest too many additional resources into HK given the current political climate. I doubt the bureau will ever close so long as foreign press is still allowed to operate there, but I think the days of CNN having multiple anchors presenting several hours of live news from there are never coming back.

They would have to self-censor as anyone not a PR or a national as anyone could have their work visa revoked, not renewed or simply not issued on a whim -- a bit like on the mainland.

Same reason why the intl press in HK are telling their staff not to get involved in leadership positions at the local Foreign Correspondants' Club. One 'wrong' move and they (usually individuals, but as in the mainland, could easily be from an entire outlet or country) could be kicked out.

RE: CNN - mouseboy33 - 19-06-2023

Even if there were resources to re-open an Asian broadcast site, i doubt HK would be it. CNN regularly showed LIVE how the Chinese government would turn off their China feed in a little box on the screen if there was anything they didnt like about a CNN report. They definitely were being monitored. A non broadcasting bureau...fine. But if they were to reopen something....im thinking Singapore, Japan....and they recently opened a Taipei bureau. Who knows? Seemingly the region will have to suffice for now with just bureaus instead of Broadcasting sites.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 20-06-2023

Weird overnight shifts on CNNI today: it appears Rosemary did a 3-hour stint 12-3am ET, and now Bianca went on air an hour earlier.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 20-06-2023

(20-06-2023, 08:02 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Weird overnight shifts on CNNI today: it appears Rosemary did a 3-hour stint 12-3am ET, and now Bianca went on air an hour earlier.
Continuing with our coverage watch, Victor Blackwell was back in New York covering CNN This Morning…this morning .

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 20-06-2023

(20-06-2023, 07:53 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  Continuing with our coverage watch, Victor Blackwell was back in New York covering CNN This Morning…this morning .

And also yesterday with Erica Hill.

I meant to ask earlier. 

Poppy Harlow mentioned this morning that Victor and her hosted CNN SATURDAY MORNING once upon a time and she was thrilled to be back with him. 

Couldn't locate any video though.

I think Blackwell would be so well suited back in NYC hosting the morning show permanently.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 20-06-2023

(20-06-2023, 08:07 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Poppy Harlow mentioned this morning that Victor and her hosted CNN SATURDAY MORNING once upon a time and she was thrilled to be back with him. 

Couldn't locate any video though.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 21-06-2023

Meanwhile, AC360 has its headlines back for some time now.

[Image: image.png]

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 21-06-2023

Thank you! 

Wasn't that the show presented by Michael Holmes and Suzanne Malveaux or a segment of another show?

Would love to see a Harlow/Blackwell show. Wish I could work out how to navigate the archive.org site effectively. I find it very hit and miss.

EDIT - Got it working and they presented New Day Saturday together back in 2013.