Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - strollfan - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 01:12 PM)oscillon Wrote:  CNN International appears to have tweaked lower thirds, making fonts even bolder and using ALL CAPS on the flipper

[Image: image.png]

Name checks have also changed - instead of occupying all lower thirds, they now appear below the headline, much like it was below the update month ago

CNN/US keeps previous settings

CNNi looks considerably better with the bolder typeface, it continues to baffle me why they went with such a light weight for the new package to begin with.

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 01:30 PM)oscillon Wrote:  It was Max Foster 4-6am ET, Bianca was off today and will be for this week, as Max announced.

The 4am hour used "with Max Foster and Bianca Nobilo" intro card, while 5am hour reverted to "with Max Foster" used by CNNI at 8am.

Both screencaps taken from archived US feed, so indeed 5am hour was domestically produced, as the news flipper appeared on the Domestic feed.

Meanwhile, CNNI-only 8am Newsroom takes over the whole hour, culling World Sport. got extended by 15 minutes, making a shorter edition of World Sport.

I really do wonder why, since the new graphics launched, that the flipper doesn't work on simulcasts. It used to be the opposite case when simulcasts were the only time you'd have a flipper (plus CNN Today/YWT) until they changed to a permanent ticker barring pre-recorded programs sometime during COVID.

(26-06-2023, 01:38 PM)strollfan Wrote:  CNNi looks considerably better with the bolder typeface, it continues to baffle me why they went with such a light weight for the new package to begin with.

It looks a little too bold in single line format. The two line format with the bold headline and normal subtitle looks ideal in my opinion.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 26-06-2023

CNN News Central came, and lower thirds were updated on CNN/US as well, featuring a new layout for a name check when headline lower third is absent.

[Image: CNNlower3rds-jun26-1.png]
[Image: CNNlower3rds-jun26-2.png]
[Image: CNNlower3rds-jun26-3.png]

UPD. And now CNN News Central is simulcast on CNN International instead of Connect the World for whatever reason (First Move went on as planned). They decided to simulcast CNN/US while it sticks with Wagner mutiny? They did not do it at 8-9am ET, with each channel providing its own coverage.
UPD2. Indeed it appears to be the case - after the first break it's Connect the World, but with Christina Macfarlane from London. Not sure if we have seen CTW in revamped design from big London studio, so I'll post it here.

[Image: CNN-CTW-LDN-jun26.png]

It also resulted in an unusual "sidewalk" position for Amada Davies to present World Sport (they do not have World Sport graphics of appropriate size to fill the long wall? or they did not want to bother with quickly changing anchors at the desk?)

[Image: CNN-Sport-LDN-Jun26.png]

RE: CNN - ginnyfan - 26-06-2023

So they are not reverting to the old style, just making new graphics look even more similar to the old ones. Flipper still looks bad and letters too narrow, wish they would switch back to thicker where they can use normal font and give us more info.

Also the location/time black cards have changed and are all rectangle now.

RE: CNN - LondonViewer - 26-06-2023

Graphics on Amanpour on CNNI right now look great. Best I've seen in a while.

RE: CNN - wetsom - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 05:37 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  So they are not reverting to the old style, just making new graphics look even more similar to the old ones. Flipper still looks bad and letters too narrow, wish they would switch back to thicker where they can use normal font and give us more info.

Also the location/time black cards have changed and are all rectangle now.

Dylan Byers writt this: "Changes will start Monday, completed in 2-3 weeks." Sound like more and more update coming next weeks...

RE: CNN - mouseboy33 - 26-06-2023

It looks so stupid now. Yeah the font changed to a thicker weight but it also looks like they dont know how to truncate the headline. So seemingly they claim the producers wanted to cram more information into the lower thirds was the arguement. That was always one of the downfalls of the font size they used and the spacing is that it always looked cramped. Oh well. The direction-less CNN ship continues drift about in the middle of the ocean. Idiots.

RE: CNN - W. Knight - 26-06-2023

Interesting to see the return of the compressed headline... or not. Rolleyes

Funny to think they designed a Condensed font that's supposably useful in places like these, but they ultimately just squash the regular-weighted one on the fly in reality.

From https://www.cnncreativemarketing.com/project/cnn-sans/ 

P.s. Can't see your captures now @oscillon - did you delete them?

RE: CNN - oscillon - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 07:42 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  P.s. Can't see your captures now @oscillon - did you delete them?

No, apparently it was the hosting service that did! Too much uploads in one day, maybe?

I've removed the broken links now.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 07:46 PM)oscillon Wrote:  No, apparently it was the hosting service that did! Too much uploads in one day, maybe?

I've removed the broken links now.

Metropol provides a great upload service if you're looking for a new home. I believe it's tied to the owner of the previous purple place. 

https://www.metropol247.co.uk/uploadservice/