Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - TMD_24 - 26-06-2023

I see Erin Burnett is currently presenting The Lead from Kyiv which means Outfront is going to as well for the next few days. Bianna Golodryga is also presenting it from a broom cupboard somewhere in New York though interesting to see it being two hours of The Lead today when it's not Jake presenting as every time there is a cover presenter, the show is only one hour whilst The Situation Room is two hours.

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 05:37 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  So they are not reverting to the old style, just making new graphics look even more similar to the old ones. Flipper still looks bad and letters too narrow, wish they would switch back to thicker where they can use normal font and give us more info.

Also the location/time black cards have changed and are all rectangle now.

We don’t know that yet.  They might still revert to the old style, who knows.  

Dylan Byers does have a pretty good track record.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 10:06 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  I see Erin Burnett is currently presenting The Lead from Kyiv which means Outfront is going to as well for the next few days. Bianna Golodryga is also presenting it from a broom cupboard somewhere in New York though interesting to see it being two hours of The Lead today when it's not Jake presenting as every time there is a cover presenter, the show is only one hour whilst The Situation Room is two hours.

May be TSR will be done not by Wolf or partly by Wolf, he was in London yesterday, so the time priority might still be given to The Lead due to Erin Burnett co-anchoring.

UPD. Yes, indeed it was done solely by Alex Marquardt, without Wolf.

(26-06-2023, 08:45 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  Metropol provides a great upload service if you're looking for a new home. I believe it's tied to the owner of the previous purple place. 

Thanks for this recommendation! For some reason, though, I could not upload anything there, as the service throws out some phpBB warning resulting in wrong recognition of the file path. I have just reloaded screen caps to the old service, hoping that registration and time interval did the job, so the images should be again visible in this thread.

RE: CNN - Medianext.MX - 27-06-2023

A shocking opinion piece by Oliver Darcy (on his Reliable Sources newsletter) on how the network is going with the interim executive team...

Quote:...the emerging iteration of CNN is reporting the news in a bolder, unbridled way. It appears more muscular, confident, and unafraid to speak up. [...] To be clear, CNN has not reverted entirely back to the style of journalism that it practiced under former network chief Jeff Zucker.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/26/media/cnn-after-chris-licht-reliable-sources/index.html 

It addresses yesterday's graphics changes and the rationale for it:

Quote:It is the first step, I’m told, in correcting issues with the on-screen graphics. Like many of the changes Licht pushed through during his brief time at CNN, the banners — which were proclaimed as a clean and fresh look for the channel, but were at times difficult to read — were not well received by network staffers and executives.

The graphics package, of course, is small in the grand scheme of things. But the swiftness in which it is being addressed illustrates how quickly executives are moving to fix the assortment of self-inflicted problems ushered in under Licht that have mired the network.

From the article, it looks like CNN is trying to transfer the fast-paced, hard news-oriented News Central format and story selection into its entire normal schedule, whilst fully covering "Breaking News" big stories when it is strongly needed.

Quote:One such change is the more selective nature of stories it covers on air. Licht relentlessly preached to staffers to “widen the aperture” on stories the network covered on an hourly basis. The approach resulted in programs that were reminiscent of the old Headline News, with shows throwing everything but the kitchen sink at viewers. Viral trending stories and weather forecasts were weaved into show rundowns, put on par with the actual, consequential stories of the day.

Without Licht at the helm, CNN has gone back to its roots, choosing instead to focus on the biggest stories of the day. In the last few weeks, CNN has provided viewers with critical wall-to-wall coverage of Donald Trump’s arraignment on federal charges in Florida, the Titan submersible tragedy, and the abandoned insurrection in Russia.

And, according to Darcy (who, ironically, didn't cite a reliable source), CNN has taken a big increase in the demo figures in the US:

Quote:The strategy of swarming the biggest stories with the unmatched resources of CNN appears to be resonating with viewers. In prime time last week, CNN topped the cable news ratings race for the advertiser-coveted 25-54 demographic on Wednesday through Friday, a major turnaround from just a month ago when the network had occasionally fallen behind Newsmax.

That is quite not right, however: on Thursday, CNN trailed Fox News in the demo, whilst still third in normal ratings, but otherwise, a big improvement, which sees there is still an audience for straightforward breaking news.

Quote:On Thursday, Fox News averaged 1.43 million viewers throughout the day, compared to 996,000 for MSNBC and 706,000 for CNN. In the 25-54 demo for total day viewers, Fox News averaged 184,000, compared to 179,000 for CNN and 124,000 for MSNBC. The audiences were slightly higher than on Wednesday. [...] In primetime, Fox News averaged 1.88 million, compared to 1.52 million for MSNBC and 859,000 for CNN. In the 25-54 demo, Fox News averaged 193,000, tied with CNN at 193,000. MSNBC averaged 155,000.

https://deadline.com/2023/06/titanic-submersible-coverage-cable-news-ratings-1235423584/ 

Buried in the midst of this ongoing mess, David Bohrman, the man behind The Situation Room and State of the Union, and the driving force behind CNN's unique election coverage methods (including the Magic Wall and the 2008 holograms), died Sunday aged 69, after hip surgery complications.

https://deadline.com/2023/06/david-bohrman-dead-network-producer-was-69-1235424401/ 

RE: CNN - oscillon - 27-06-2023

Another interesting development concerning 10pm slot of "CNN Tonight".

One might remember that it was originally announced to be hosted by Laura Coates from DC, with 11pm going to Alisyn Camerota in NY.

Later on, as Alisyn started doing both former Lemon's hours, it was rumoured that Coates' show was abandoned due to lack of crew in DC; Coates got promoted to Chief Legal Analyst instead. 11pm hour even got a special format of "taking to journalists about the stories they're working on" and on-screen design.

However, for the last couple of weeks or so, 10pm slot is mostly anchored... from DC - but by Abby Phillip. It uses the same goldenish intro as its NY counterpart, and comes from Studio D, with either "yellow lights" (initially) or the Capitol (last week) serving as the background.
[Image: CNN-10pm-DC-1.png]
[Image: CNN-10pm-DC-2.png]
[Image: CNN-10pm-DC-3.png]

11pm hour by Alisyn Camerota is done in the same way her 10pm hour was done previously, and the "talking to journalists" format is no longer seen.

Makes you wonder whether "lack of crew" was more of an excuse. Or was it just Licht getting the boot?

RE: CNN - wetsom - 27-06-2023

Removing rounded corner, and restoring ticker would be a big improvement. I hope this is where they are heading in the coming weeks.

[Image: image-m-solat.png]

RE: CNN - mouseboy33 - 27-06-2023

Interesting ratings bump for CNN.

https://twitter.com/ajkatztv/status/1673732630297165827 

RE: CNN - wilmington - 27-06-2023

(27-06-2023, 04:53 PM)wetsom Wrote:  Removing rounded corner, and restoring ticker would be a big improvement. I hope this is where they are heading in the coming weeks.

[Image: image-m-solat.png]

I don't see it yet on CNN.  Is it only on international?

RE: CNN - wetsom - 27-06-2023

(27-06-2023, 07:24 PM)wilmington Wrote:  I don't see it yet on CNN.  Is it only on international?

I did this with photoshop, I wish it were real. Smile

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 27-06-2023

(27-06-2023, 02:52 PM)oscillon Wrote:  One might remember that it was originally announced to be hosted by Laura Coates from DC, with 11pm going to Alisyn Camerota in NY.

Later on, as Alisyn started doing both former Lemon's hours, it was rumoured that Coates' show was abandoned due to lack of crew in DC; Coates got promoted to Chief Legal Analyst instead.

I believe it was the other way around, with Alisyn rumors to host at 10 and Laura at 11.

(27-06-2023, 02:52 PM)oscillon Wrote:  For the last couple of weeks or so, 10pm slot is mostly anchored from DC by Abby Phillip.

11pm hour by Alisyn Camerota is done in the same way her 10pm hour was done previously, and the "talking to journalists" format is no longer seen.

Very interesting observation. Clearly something else was at play, with CNN not giving space for Laura Coates but making room for Abby Philip (for now). Part of me thinks that this is a way to open the door to bring Kaitlan back to DC. I guess we'll wait to see if Laura is reoffered the spot or if we start to see less and less of her.