Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 16-08-2023

(16-08-2023, 07:27 AM)ginnyfan Wrote:  ^^^^^

Or people who are sick of seeing him dominate news cycle and eat up coverage of everything else that's happening in the world. But yeah, I also don't feel psycho hatred for him just because he won the election once and don't think he's Hitler or whatever has been served up by CNN & co for the last 7 years.

Meanwhile, more than 100 US citizens were killed by historic fires last few days but it's that Trump mugshot we all need to see..... Shy

Ok... so ignore the FOURTH indictment of the former U.S. president and CURRENT Republican frontrunner? It's news. And not only is it news, but it's one of the biggest political stories of our generation.

And CNN is a U.S.- based network. Of course it's going to be the driving story in the immediate aftermath.

And BTW it's not just the same old same old, this new indictment has new details, new allegations, and new people charged who were NOT in previous indictments. And we already mentioned how there's almost no chance of getting a pardon for this one, unlike with the other cases.

Quote:But yeah, I also don't feel psycho hatred for him just because he won the election once and don't think he's Hitler or whatever has been served up by CNN & co for the last 7 years.

I don't agree with this characterization at all. Maybe some of that "dislike" is because of the 91 criminal charges against him? Yes, that is the actual number.

Quote:Meanwhile, more than 100 US citizens were killed by historic fires last few days but it's that Trump mugshot we all need to see..... Shy

And CNN has been covering the Hawaii fires quite extensively, in addition to many other stories. Did you watch the 5-hour block of CNNI shows overnight? Or even Early Start on now? Quite a variety of stories and NOT just Trump.

But also, yeah the first-ever mugshot of a former U.S. president would indeed be news. You don't think so?

RE: CNN - sky303 - 16-08-2023

I think that yes, they should cover the indictment and give the viewers fact and context. And, they also can cover other stories in the same hour because they should. Trying to fill an hour with one story and one that isn't an event in the same way as a fire, storm, etc. where anything besides what's in the indictment that was released to public, what it means, and the impacts, and what the defense are saying, are speculation and unimportant. The trial(s) have to start. Take time per HR to cover it on day 1 and still include other stories.

They did do that during the CNN I team gets to take over the block.

As for CNN I, the shows that got preempted have capable anchors who also could have covered that story too and give context and facts to worldwide viewers and do other stories too.

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 16-08-2023

(16-08-2023, 10:57 AM)sky303 Wrote:  I think that yes, they should cover the indictment and give the viewers fact and context. And, they also can cover other stories in the same hour because they should. Trying to fill an hour with one story and one that isn't an event in the same way as a fire, storm, etc. where anything besides what's in the indictment that was released to public, what it means, and the impacts, and what the defense are saying, are speculation and unimportant. The trial(s) have to start. Take time per HR to cover it on day 1 and still include other stories.

They did do that during the CNN I team gets to take over the block.

As for CNN I, the shows that got preempted have capable anchors who also could have covered that story too and give context and facts to worldwide viewers and do other stories too.

I actually agree with much of this sentiment. But I don't think it's just something to cover on day one and then wait for trials to start. That could be months away. And new developments are coming out nearly every day in the meantime-- either through public statements, court releases, or reporting.

Simply stopping talking about it for the next few months would make no sense. But I also agree that CNN should not go overboard.

The next nine days or so will be FULL of news about all of this.... since all 19 defendants have to surrender to Georgia authorities by next Friday (and plenty happening in the meantime).

It is a shame when domestic bigfoots CNNI. But it is often a resource issue. Reporters can't be on two networks at once, etc.

RE: CNN - ginnyfan - 16-08-2023

The thing is, there was a time when CNNI knew how to measure this, and balance it out. So yes, they would simulcast domestic when a big US story breaks, but after a while they would go back to their own programming , cover other stories, cover the US breaking story with their own anchors, then simulcast again etc. It was a mix of things. But ever since Zucker & Trump took over, it's been one big, non stop simulcast, panel after panel, talking head after talking head. The schedule itself became more of a simulcasts so even if they wanted to, there's no one to switch to over at CNNI from 22.00 CET till 06.00 CET.

Licht was about to change this but now that he's out , it's all reverting back to the usual mode, which is such a shame.

RE: CNN - mouseboy33 - 16-08-2023

Well the CNNi/Domestic balance issue, in my opinion comes down to money. There was a time when CNNi basically had its own schedule. But economics means its just easier and cheaper to flip over to CNN domestic and just have one stream. Its sad but true. (Same thing with BBC World/Domestic merger) Think about all the international anchors and reporters that have walked away from CNNi over the last few years. THe channel is no longer a priority for management (especially since they cant get the mothership back in control, its hard to believe they will even look at CNNi). And many of those positions have not been refilled at all.

RE: CNN - James2001 - 16-08-2023

(16-08-2023, 10:41 AM)inletwindow Wrote:  Ok... so ignore the FOURTH indictment of the former U.S. president and CURRENT Republican frontrunner? It's news.  And not only is it news, but it's one of the biggest political stories of our generation. 

And CNN is a U.S.- based network.  Of course it's going to be the driving story in the immediate aftermath. 

And BTW it's not just the same old same old, this new indictment has new details, new allegations, and new people charged who were NOT in previous indictments.  And we already mentioned how there's almost no chance of getting a pardon for this one, unlike with the other cases.

I don't agree with this characterization at all.  Maybe some of that "dislike" is because of the 91 criminal charges against him?  Yes, that is the actual number.

And CNN has been covering the Hawaii fires quite extensively, in addition to many other stories.  Did you watch the 5-hour block of CNNI shows overnight?  Or even Early Start on now?  Quite a variety of stories and NOT just Trump. 

But also, yeah the first-ever mugshot of a former U.S. president would indeed be news.  You don't think so?
Seems funny how the same people who spent years chanting "lock her up" about Hillary, and have tried to keep her emails and Hunter Biden's laptop in the news are all aghast at Trump potentially being locked up and that being headline news 🤔

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 16-08-2023

(16-08-2023, 12:34 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Licht was about to change this but now that he's out , it's all reverting back to the usual mode, which is such a shame.
When did Licht mention his plans for CNNI? Outside of Max and Bianca’s Newsroom I can’t seem to recall any ideas for CNNI.

My two cents on this is that CNN will always lean heavily into a political story. I expect nothing less. The challenge for them now is they want to regain the audience they lost to MSNBC in the past year. IMO the same talking panels are stale and won’t cut it. CNN should retain the talent they use during their regular schedule to break down the story so new viewers get a taste of familiar faces. They should couple this with bringing in reporters to do quick hits on other big stories to entice the new viewers to stick around or tune back in more frequently.

^^^ Licht never presented his plans for CNNI but he did stop CNN US's nasty habit of labeling everything as BREAKING NEWS and giving non stop coverage to certain topics, especially Trump, which also meant less of this on CNNI sumulcasts.

He also wanted a more traditionally structured hour long bulletins on domestic, with a variety of news items and topics covered. Imagine that, a proper news service instead of the same 10 talking heads playing musical chairs, rotating in ugly looking sets.

RE: CNN - mouseboy33 - 16-08-2023

Well none of us knows the real reasons why Licht was so disliked. But I like the direction he was going. How he executed those changes maybe weren't done very diplomatically. And maybe he rubbed people the wrong way. He seems to be trying to ressurect the CNN legacy. Freshening the graphics and pulling back the use of Breaking News for everything. To me the biggest legacy of Lichts tenure was the creation of News Central. To me that should be the format they use for the majority of the dayside programming. The talking head panels are just boring. But he moved a glacial pace. Ratings probably will never recover. CNNs identity was severely damaged leading up and during the Trump years. I dont agree about the "ugly looking sets" comment. (with one exception being the dismantled "brick set")

I know tastes are personal, but can we really call these sets good looking? Desks look like rejected Star Trek props with those cheap plastic gray backgrounds. Wolf had a better set 20 years ago, back when he did not need 5 talking heads beside him.

The only decent thing they have now is Erin/Anderson one which is decent and CNN This Morning, both of which are just ok.

[Image: SPECIAL-COVERAGE-04-04-2023-6.jpg]

[Image: The-Lead-31-01-2022-1.jpg]

[Image: The-Situation-Room-02-06-2023.jpg]

[Image: The-Situation-Room-15-08-2023.jpg]

[Image: vlcsnap-2023-08-16-08h05m12s140.jpg]