Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 16-08-2023

CNN London is the worst physical set to me. It’s a mix match of design with no balance. The previous set in London was one of my favorites, particularly in Amanpour orange. Nothing has been as well thought out since Studio 7 12-odd years ago IMO.

The current sets are okay. It’s really the on screen graphics that make them feel cheap and boring. Hopefully we’ll see some nice new looks with the 6 new shows announced Monday. Although going off the look of The Source I’m not holding my breath.

Agree with ginnyfan that CNN can’t design a desk to save their life. They’re obsessed with modular desks that don’t look good on air. The old Piers Morgan desk was one of my favorites, followed by the first generation New Day/Quest/On the Story desk.

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 16-08-2023

I think this was the biggest eyesore of CNN that springs to mind. It was a shocking set, cobbled together with bar stools and chipboard desk.

[Image: shambles.png]

RE: CNN - mouseboy33 - 16-08-2023

You are right design is subjective. My argument is at least there is a wide variety of ideas on display. And certainly not all of them are A-star winners. . And most sets, wherever they may be, now a days around the world basically consist of video walls. And the surfaces on most news sets are all made of the same materials. They all have thick acrylic desk, frosted panels, internally lit panels and strips. Today all news sets now just consists of whatever creative bits they can do to the floor and the small bits that make up the difference between the video walls. The BBC sets love red and louvered panels with lights on them. LOL. CNN loves desks that can be moved expanded and stowed away. BBC rarely does (thank your lucky stars) talking-head panels regularly, so maybe you arent used to seeing that style desk on UK television often, with the exception of maybe Elections or something. . But also the studios have a variety of programmes and CNN tries to give each programme a unique look and feel, whereas the BBC likes to make everything look uniform and exactly the same. Which personally i fiind grindingly and mind numbingly boring and samey. But we all have different preferences. Which is cool!

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 17-08-2023

Victor Blackwell made a surprise appearance presenting CNN Tonight overnight. Only caught some of it so not sure whether where it originated from.

Update: It originated from a flash studio in Atlanta as seen on Blackwell's instagram.

RE: CNN - cityprod - 18-08-2023

(16-08-2023, 02:32 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  ^^^ Licht never presented his plans for CNNI but he did stop CNN US's nasty habit of labeling everything as BREAKING NEWS and giving non stop coverage to certain topics, especially Trump, which also meant less of this on CNNI sumulcasts.

He also wanted a more traditionally structured hour long bulletins on domestic, with a variety of news items and topics covered. Imagine that, a proper news service instead of the same 10 talking heads playing musical chairs, rotating in ugly looking sets.

The thing is, his ‘vision’ for CNN , as admirable as it might have been, had no basis in the reality of US Cable News, and was losing CNN viewers by the bucket load.  His editorial ideas were out of step with the reality of what the US viewer wants from cable news, which is quite different from what the international viewer wants .  It had even been tried before, around 20 years ago, and it was a loser then too.  Whether we like it or not, this is the reality that CNN has to work within.

RE: CNN - Marcell - 18-08-2023

(18-08-2023, 07:56 PM)cityprod Wrote:  The thing is, his ‘vision’ for CNN , as admirable as it might have been, had no basis in the reality of US Cable News, and was losing CNN viewers by the bucket load.  His editorial ideas were out of step with the reality of what the US viewer wants from cable news, which is quite different from what the international viewer wants .  It had even been tried before, around 20 years ago, and it was a loser then too.  Whether we like it or not, this is the reality that CNN has to work within.
These things didn't help him either

1. He wasn't liked by the staff
2. The Atlantic piece
3. Trump Town Hall
4. Don Lemon

RE: CNN - wetsom - 19-08-2023

Big box is back...

[Image: OTY5Mzg5.png]

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 19-08-2023

Bigger than before as well it seems!

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 19-08-2023

Ugh. Was hoping they’d keep the promo placement in the lower third. It’s so distracting watching it pop up and down.

Honestly I don’t know why they needed to make the LIVE bug so prominent as well. CNN(US) is live 20-22 hours on weekdays and 15-17 hours on weekends. At this point they should make it a rotation in the time/stock bug or make the logo grey if it’s a previously aired live programme.

RE: CNN - W. Knight - 19-08-2023

Hot take: The initial Licht graphics has grown on me.

Sure, the rounded corners and the straight edges combined makes it feel unfinished, but I do like how the headlines looked more spacious, as well as the programme name moving to the top 'browser tab' tag. Not only did it feel less cramped, it sorta removed the 'forcefulness' of things bundled up together, just to make the news looks more important than they should be - a thing most demonstrated by the Zucker-era Trump coverage. The programme promo is neatly tucked next to the headlines, the Live bug being more subtle (whose appearance is, let's face it, less prominent in the age of everyone easily starting a Youtube/Instagram livestream)... The whole look in general didn't look exactly sleek, but these are some nice touches.

It had some problems, of course: The location bug in split in rows and the flipper is too light to read legibly; but I do feel like the V2 of the graphics (the one right after Licht was gone) mended some of the problems, making it almost an all-rounded look (albeit bringing the stretched headlines back). 

The current V3, in contrast, looks a lot worse. LIVE is proclaimed loudly on screen again, long programme names jammed in a box too small (branding things horizontally makes things look more unified and have more breathing space IMO - see BBC Anything in 1997 vs the 1988 system), scrolling ticker and BREAKING NEWS is back... Heck, the hodgepodge of the current package is best exemplified three posts above - What even is that mess? At least one-third of the VT is covered by the graphics.