Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - oscillon - 20-08-2023

CNNI has dropped the flipper this overnight in favour of a hurricane in California tracker. This should have lowered the logo as well, and it did so on CNNI - but not on CNN/US where the logo partially overlaps with the lower-third.

[Image: CNN-logooverlap-20aug.png]

UPD. After the first break break they seem to have alter that and go with the CNNI version of the logo, with live bug underneath it, although it is still not perfectly aligned with the rest of the lower 3rds.

[Image: CNN-logofix-20aug.png]

CNNI runs a LIVE-less logo for some reason.

[Image: CNNI-logo-20aug.png]

UPD2. And that's how the tracker looks like when generated within CNN/US and the newly reversed graphics

[Image: CNN-US-hurrtracker-20aug.png]

RE: CNN - wetsom - 20-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 08:21 AM)oscillon Wrote:  CNNI has dropped the flipper this overnight in favour of a hurricane in California tracker. This should have lowered the logo as well, and it did so on CNNI - but not on CNN/US where the logo partially overlaps with the lower-third.

UPD. After the first break break they seem to have alter that and go with the CNNI version of the logo, with live bug underneath it, although it is still not perfectly aligned with the rest of the lower 3rds.

The new hurricane graphics are much more informative than the old ones.

RE: CNN - Marcell - 20-08-2023

(19-08-2023, 04:28 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  Hot take: The initial Licht graphics has grown on me.

Sure, the rounded corners and the straight edges combined makes it feel unfinished, but I do like how the headlines looked more spacious, as well as the programme name moving to the top 'browser tab' tag. Not only did it feel less cramped, it sorta removed the 'forcefulness' of things bundled up together, just to make the news looks more important than they should be - a thing most demonstrated by the Zucker-era Trump coverage. The programme promo is neatly tucked next to the headlines, the Live bug being more subtle (whose appearance is, let's face it, less prominent in the age of everyone easily starting a Youtube/Instagram livestream)... The whole look in general didn't look exactly sleek, but these are some nice touches.

It had some problems, of course: The location bug in split in rows and the flipper is too light to read legibly; but I do feel like the V2 of the graphics (the one right after Licht was gone) mended some of the problems, making it almost an all-rounded look (albeit bringing the stretched headlines back). 

The current V3, in contrast, looks a lot worse. LIVE is proclaimed loudly on screen again, long programme names jammed in a box too small (branding things horizontally makes things look more unified and have more breathing space IMO - see BBC Anything in 1997 vs the 1988 system), scrolling ticker and BREAKING NEWS is back... Heck, the hodgepodge of the current package is best exemplified three posts above - What even is that mess? At least one-third of the VT is covered by the graphics.

I thought it would grow on me but I still don't like it. I think it's a mismatch with the new international Newsroom graphics which have a square CNN logo instead of a rounded one.

Plus, I think flat graphics age a lot better. The previous package still looked very good.

RE: CNN - Charles - 20-08-2023

They've ultimately ended up with a marginally worse version of their old graphics. They're now pretty much the same, but bigger and more awkward. I think the way the banner has to disappear to show a guest or correspondent's name in a much smaller banner is rather inelegant. I don't think there's anything about these graphics that's an improvement over the 2014-era flat graphics.

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 20-08-2023

(19-08-2023, 04:28 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  Hot take: The initial Licht graphics has grown on me.

Sure, the rounded corners and the straight edges combined makes it feel unfinished, but I do like how the headlines looked more spacious, as well as the programme name moving to the top 'browser tab' tag. Not only did it feel less cramped, it sorta removed the 'forcefulness' of things bundled up together, just to make the news looks more important than they should be - a thing most demonstrated by the Zucker-era Trump coverage. The programme promo is neatly tucked next to the headlines, the Live bug being more subtle (whose appearance is, let's face it, less prominent in the age of everyone easily starting a Youtube/Instagram livestream)... The whole look in general didn't look exactly sleek, but these are some nice touches.

It had some problems, of course: The location bug in split in rows and the flipper is too light to read legibly; but I do feel like the V2 of the graphics (the one right after Licht was gone) mended some of the problems, making it almost an all-rounded look (albeit bringing the stretched headlines back). 

The current V3, in contrast, looks a lot worse. LIVE is proclaimed loudly on screen again, long programme names jammed in a box too small (branding things horizontally makes things look more unified and have more breathing space IMO - see BBC Anything in 1997 vs the 1988 system), scrolling ticker and BREAKING NEWS is back... Heck, the hodgepodge of the current package is best exemplified three posts above - What even is that mess? At least one-third of the VT is covered by the graphics.

V2 was definitely the best of both worlds and unfortunately V3, despite taking many cues from the old 2014 graphics, looks much worse than it. It looks simply massive and cluttered in the way that the old set never really did, despite the often intense screen-packing on CNN US back in the Zucker days.

RE: CNN - wetsom - 20-08-2023

Domestic version:

[Image: OTY5ODQ5.png]

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 20-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 08:21 AM)oscillon Wrote:  CNNI has dropped the flipper this overnight in favour of a hurricane in California tracker. This should have lowered the logo as well, and it did so on CNNI - but not on CNN/US where the logo partially overlaps with the lower-third.

UPD2. And that's how the tracker looks like when generated within CNN/US and the newly reversed graphics

[Image: CNN-US-hurrtracker-20aug.png]

Hell! That is damn ugly!

RE: CNN - wilmington - 20-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 11:03 AM)wetsom Wrote:  Domestic version:

looking good now

RE: CNN - oscillon - 20-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 11:03 AM)wetsom Wrote:  Domestic version:

And that's how domestically generated version of the weather tracker lower 3rds looks on CNNI which bothered to move its logo appropriately

[Image: CNN-tracker-USon-Int-20aug.png]

RE: CNN - wilmington - 20-08-2023

CNNI looks unfinished, elements missing.