Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 26-08-2023

(25-08-2023, 06:30 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Just caught up with Amanpour and indeed, not only it has ad breaks, it is more newsy than usual, with "just in" pieces of news and live (as explicitly said on air!) reporting from the scene. 

Apparently, with Christiane Amanpour on leave this week, CNNI and PBS might have gone their separate ways with substituting the usual show.

Who subs for Amanpour when she's on leave nowadays?

RE: CNN - Global TV - 26-08-2023

(26-08-2023, 03:41 AM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  Who subs for Amanpour when she's on leave nowadays?

Usually Bianna Golodryga, but I have also seen Paula Newton this week.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 26-08-2023

Digging into the CNN Max news, this quote from Axios is interesting:

Quote:Three of the four hours of Max programming will be produced out of the company's headquarters in Atlanta. One hour will be produced in Washington DC
SOURCE: https://www.axios.com/2023/08/24/cnn-warner-bros-discovery-24-hour-livestream-max 

CNN/US produces all of its daytime programming in Atlanta from 9am-4pm ET. Are all of the shows from 8am-4pm ET on CNNI also produced from Atlanta? 

If so that likely means that the 3 new hours from Atlanta will be outside of the daytime window, otherwise Techwood would need to run three concurrent control rooms.

My takeaway is that the hour from DC is most likely CNN Newsroom with Jim Sciutto, either before The Lead (2pm or 3pm) or after The Situation Room (7pm or 9pm). The evening makes more sense when streamers would have the Max app open to watch other shows. The remaining 3 hours are likely during the breakfast window (6am-9am) when Atlanta isn't producing any live content. This makes sense if CNN Max is trying to lure in a morning crowd that doesn't subscribe to cable. Counterpoint would be if CNN are planning on using other Turner tech teams that are assigned to any of the their live sports programming originating from Techwood and typically work evening/night shifts.

Just my thoughts on this Saturday morning. Curious to hear your thoughts as well.

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 27-08-2023

(26-08-2023, 04:06 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  CNN/US produces all of its daytime programming in Atlanta from 9am-4pm ET.

Yes -- Monday-Friday anyway (although possibly Inside Politics at 12pm is DC produced at this point). On weekends, everything except for the Sunday politics shows is produced out of Atlanta.

(26-08-2023, 04:06 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  Are all of the shows from 8am-4pm ET on CNNI also produced from Atlanta? 

Pretty much. Obviously CTW also has people in Abu Dhabi and Isa's show also has people in London, etc, but the vast majority of writers and producers for CNNI are in Atlanta. They also all use Atlanta control rooms. The teams for the business shows (like First Move and Quest) are in NY.... but I THINK they also have to use Atlanta control rooms.

RE: CNN - wetsom - 27-08-2023

(27-08-2023, 05:00 AM)inletwindow Wrote:  Yes -- Monday-Friday anyway (although possibly Inside Politics at 12pm is DC produced at this point).  On weekends, everything except for the Sunday politics shows is produced out of Atlanta.

Pretty much.  Obviously CTW also has people in Abu Dhabi and Isa's show also has people in London, etc, but the vast majority of writers and producers for CNNI are in Atlanta.  They also all use Atlanta control rooms.  The teams for the business shows (like First Move and Quest) are in NY.... but I THINK they also have to use Atlanta control rooms.

Before the epidemic, Quest Means Business produced from NY, but now in Atlanta.

Well, what do you mean by “produced from?”
As far as I’m aware, the entire Quest team is in New York. Before the pandemic and now.

RE: CNN - wetsom - 27-08-2023

(27-08-2023, 11:29 AM)inletwindow Wrote:  Well, what do you mean by “produced from?”
As far as I’m aware, the entire Quest team is in New York.  Before the pandemic and now.

The "broadcast" was from a control room in New York, not Atlanta as it is now.

(27-08-2023, 11:55 AM)wetsom Wrote:  The "broadcast" was from a control room in New York, not Atlanta as it is now.

That’s possible.  I’m not as familiar with the biz shows.  But I had thought that all the CNNI shows required an Atlanta control room to some extant, even if they also have people in control rooms elsewhere.   

Obviously NY is capable of running shows entirely out of there… but CNNI is setup differently from domestic.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 27-08-2023

(27-08-2023, 12:40 PM)inletwindow Wrote:  But I had thought that all the CNNI shows required an Atlanta control room
I believe all of the networks had a master control room in Atlanta at one point. With the move to IP infrastructure, I have absolutely no idea if that’s still required to be a physical place or if “master control” is entirely cloud/network based. 

On another note, CNN is running a two hour State Of the Union today (going toe to toe with the Dutch Grand Prix). This means from 9am to 2pm only one hour isn’t State of the Union.

RE: CNN - TheJarv - 28-08-2023

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1696036974862156121?t=4Op_X1sPDSx9qLG6JieOGA&s=19