Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 15-09-2023

(15-09-2023, 03:03 PM)newsfan22 Wrote:  Today was the last edition of First Move on CNNi. Julia Chatterley said that the team will be back later this year with a new show.

Wow, surprising to see. The online schedule shows "CNN Newsroom" in it's place from Monday. For those interested, First Move launched 9/10/2018, so the show just passed it's 5 year anniversary. 

Did Julia say she would be back, or just "the team"?

RE: CNN - AJB39 - 15-09-2023

(15-09-2023, 03:13 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  Wow, surprising to see. The online schedule shows "CNN Newsroom" in it's place from Monday. For those interested, First Move launched 9/10/2018, so the show just passed it's 5 year anniversary. 

Did Julia say she would be back, or just "the team"?

No she didn’t say she would be back, she just said the team would be back later in the year with a new show. She was quite emotional but didn’t explicitly say she was leaving CNN. There was a best-of montage as well.

RE: CNN - interestednovice - 15-09-2023

It sounds like the programme has been cancelled and will be retooled into a more generic news-based show like Max & Bianca’s slot (also more droppable for US election coverage).

Meanwhile, it seems as though Julia will stay at CNN but be left in a position similar to the one Amara Walker was left in when CNN Today was first cancelled - an on-staff, no fixed slot, cover presenter.

Maybe they had already looked at the logistics of moving back to the NY Stock Exchange and decided it wasn’t worth it, so when reviewing it took the decision to cancel the show instead.

https://twitter.com/jchatterleyCNN/status/1702699355973542268?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet 

RE: CNN - alex.w - 15-09-2023

Very sad to see First Move come to a close, though not necessarily surprising given they never moved back into the NYSE. I missed the old format when it was actually focused entirely on business news. Lately it's been more of a standard bulletin with business sprinkled in (QMB has been guilty of this as well).

Have also missed that ending tag line "this was First Move, time to go make yours" from Julia – she stopped using it after COVID began. Was nice to have it back for one last time on the final show.

RE: CNN - interestednovice - 15-09-2023

Yes, there was a genuine focus on business which has since “drifted”. I do wonder if that was partly down to behind the scenes cutbacks at CNN Business, so the programme ended up being more and more like general Newsroom bulletins. Also, during Covid, everything was unprecedented so the format of the programme really fell apart. Partly justifiably the audience wanted Covid news too, along with news about business and the economy.

Unfortunately, after that being the case for a matter of years, I suspect it wasn’t easy for the show to just “come back” in it’s original form.

Also, now I’ve thought about it for more than about 5 seconds, which I hadn’t when I’d first posted, CNN may be trying to realign Julia’s role into something akin to what Christine Romans used to do. It’s possible they want Julia to fill Christine’s former job title of something like Chief Business Correspondent, along with occasional presenting as cover for Richard Quest. There may not be time left in the day to also solo-anchor your own show if that is what Julia is going to be doing. I know Christine used to do Early Start as well, but then Julia would take over business two-ways later on, so Christine didn’t have to be on call from 5am until 5pm+!

Meanwhile, Early Start is moving towards a more politics-skewed and typical CNN US hour, and less a business and general international news hour. This is quite a change in tone from, say, when CNN first moved to Hudson Yards.

Basically, all of this sets them up for more political coverage ahead of the election.

RE: CNN - gman - 15-09-2023

So Amanpour celebrating the big 40 at CNN. Saw some pics that Sara Sidner posted from the party to mark the milestone.
They seem to be glossing over the fact that she left the network in 2010! So should it be 38 years total, or 11 since she came back?!

RE: CNN - sky303 - 15-09-2023

I'd either hope that the First Move slot stays CNN International produced, or CNN I doesn't lose another hour to a simulcast. I wasn't a big First Move watcher, compared to Connect the World, but it is interesting to see how CNNI seems to be now down one Business based show , I remember they had at least one for Asia daytime, Europe Daytime, US Daytime, etc... Then they had too many clumped together interesting move.

(15-09-2023, 09:41 PM)gman Wrote:  So Amanpour celebrating the big 40 at CNN. Saw some pics that Sara Sidner posted from the party to mark the milestone.
They seem to be glossing over the fact that she left the network in 2010! So should it be 38 years total, or 11 since she came back?!

I had to look it up, I thought she did both ABC and CNN at the time she did This Week, but no, there was an ABC and CNN deal later when she she stepped down from This Week. I guess CNN rounded up a couple years... heh or want to pretend she never went to ABC.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 16-09-2023

Another consideration is that CNN Max is scheduled to launch 9/27. It’s possible that the 9am hour will be simulcast and the powers that be didn’t want a business bulletin in that slot.

RE: CNN - kookaburra - 16-09-2023

(16-09-2023, 02:09 AM)EastCoast Wrote:  Another consideration is that CNN Max is scheduled to launch 9/27. It’s possible that the 9am hour will be simulcast and the powers that be didn’t want a business bulletin in that slot.
27/9?

RE: CNN - doxyoo - 16-09-2023

(15-09-2023, 03:50 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  No she didn’t say she would be back, she just said the team would be back later in the year with a new show. She was quite emotional but didn’t explicitly say she was leaving CNN. There was a best-of montage as well.

When isn't she emotional? I remember 3 distinct times she cried on-air.