Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - Transmission - 02-01-2024

Has CNN International cut costs to the point they don't take external agency pictures any more? The plane fire at Haneda Airport wasn't the first time a breaking story was rolling on the other news channels and I've flipped over to see how CNN was covering it only to find them going on about Trump or some US policy issue.

Goes without saying, but it really isn't the channel it once was.

RE: CNN - Global TV - 02-01-2024

(02-01-2024, 11:22 AM)Transmission Wrote:  Has CNN International cut costs to the point they don't take external agency pictures any more? The plane fire at Haneda Airport wasn't the first time a breaking story was rolling on the other news channels and I've flipped over to see how CNN was covering it only to find them going on about Trump or some US policy issue.

Goes without saying, but it really isn't the channel it once was.

That’s not accurate. They covered it in the last part of CNN Newsroom and at the start of Early Start, with Will Ripley live from Tokyo.
EDIT: And they are back now, at half past ten.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 02-01-2024

(02-01-2024, 11:10 AM)Talkover Wrote:  Does CNNI "The Situation Room" and Wolf Blitzer remove from the program? In the program preview, "First Move" with Julia Chatterly will be listed from next week.…

CNNI have this habit of not announcing new shows until 24 hours before launch, or in some cases as they launch. We know that a new show with Julia Chatterly is in the works, and that it would air later in the day. You’ve probably just stumbled upon it.

Replacing The Situation Room would be surprising. Even though it’s only been on the schedule “officially” for a few years, International viewers have grown accustomed to seeing Wolf, some weeks seeing him more often than the regularly scheduled anchors.

RE: CNN - AJB39 - 02-01-2024

(02-01-2024, 11:10 AM)Talkover Wrote:  Does CNNI "The Situation Room" and Wolf Blitzer remove from the program? In the program preview, "First Move" with Julia Chatterly will be listed from next week.…

I’m assuming that’s a mistake in the schedule as “First Move” was axed last year.

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 02-01-2024

(02-01-2024, 03:04 AM)EastCoast Wrote:  Final tallies for some of the marathon shifts anchored today

5.5 hours from John Berman
5 hours from Brianna Keilar
4 hours from Max Foster (only 8 hours after concluding New Years coverage!)
4 hours from Rahel Solomon

Thankfully Max Foster is getting the day off today! Bianca is back for the usual London Newsroom edition (in the big studio).

RE: CNN - Transmission - 02-01-2024

(02-01-2024, 11:31 AM)Global TV Wrote:  That’s not accurate. They covered it in the last part of CNN Newsroom and at the start of Early Start, with Will Ripley live from Tokyo.
EDIT: And they are back now, at half past ten.

Fair enough, though there was no indication of that the four or five times I briefly flipped over during the first half hour of the news breaking. While sometimes there's no point in rolling with breaking news just for the sake of it, in this case there were interesting live pictures and constantly updating news so I did find it a bit odd that they were on rather pedestrian stories about heathcare and the like.

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 02-01-2024

(02-01-2024, 12:32 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  I’m assuming that’s a mistake in the schedule as “First Move” was axed last year.

Would also be a bit odd to have a 'First Move' in the business world at that time of day Big Grin

RE: CNN - Talkover - 02-01-2024

Thank you for your explanations. I was also quite surprised by the announcement on the website. Of all people, to take Wolf Blitzer, who is most associated with CNN among the international audience, out of the program, would not be strategically smart.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 02-01-2024

(02-01-2024, 03:04 AM)EastCoast Wrote:  4 hours from Max Foster (only 8 hours after concluding New Years coverage!)
Actually, it was 4.5 hours for Max - at 1pm GMT he did the full hour, not the usual first half!

(02-01-2024, 11:31 AM)Global TV Wrote:  That’s not accurate. They covered it in the last part of CNN Newsroom and at the start of Early Start, with Will Ripley live from Tokyo.
That's true, but other news channels started covering it 20-30 minutes earlier (around 9:20 GMT), at least as one-liners with some images from the site.

What is true, though, is that CNN Domestic now relies much less on its local affiliates than it did several years ago, when, in case of some breaking stories (e.g. shootings), they could just dip in and out of local stations' coverage until their own journalists were to arrive at the scene.

(02-01-2024, 12:32 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  I’m assuming that’s a mistake in the schedule as “First Move” was axed last year.
May be they've just haven't changed the name yet - there was an announcement that Julia Chatterley was to move to a later time slot, so may be that's it.

Although, IIRC, it was a contractual obligation at one point that Wolf's show was to be simulcast on CNNi for at least certain amount of time - so when TSR wasn't on CNNi, there was eponymous "Wolf" that aired both on CNN/US and CNNi. Wonder if this obligation has expired at the end of last year.

RE: CNN - ginnyfan - 02-01-2024

Wasn't there a time before the pandemic when Wolf actually was not on the CNNI schedule anymore? Back when we got The Lead at 22.00 cet, then The Brief at 23.00 and the short-lived YWT London at 00.00 cet? Then the pandemic ruined it all....