Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - excel99 - 21-01-2024

Have you seen his memo that has been made public?
https://deadline.com/2024/01/cnn-strategy-mark-thompson-1235795131/ 

The TV 'bit' - it has a place, but cost cuts seem to be coming:
Quote:THE FUTURE OF TV AT CNN

In many ways, media companies are families and, just as in a family the first-born child can sometimes look round and wonder why it’s their younger siblings who are now getting all the attention, it’s only natural for someone who currently works on the TV side at CNN to ask themselves whether I’m ever going to turn to them.

Don’t worry. At their frequent best our domestic and global TV schedules are one of the jewels in our crown and I believe that linear TV will play a central and vital role in CNN’s success as far out as the eye can see. It’s also been great seeing new audiences find classic linear TV and new programming in meaningful numbers on CNN Max during big moments like our coverage out of Israel, our Iowa debate and our New Year’s Eve programme.

But we have work to do here too, especially in domestic cable. After a difficult, transitional period last year, we now have a promising new primetime line-up. But that still needs time to bed in, even as we look for other opportunities to improve audience flow and boost performance elsewhere in the schedule.

We also need to address the long-range economics of TV at CNN. Even after cable consumption began to fall, there was a period of strong revenue growth from cable subscriptions in the mid-2010s and some of that unexpected bounty ended up as raised production costs that now look difficult to support given the changing economics across our industry. I firmly believe that financial success and sustainability fund our journalism and afford us more independence to focus on what we do best. So, in addition to quality and performance improvement, expect to see us also looking hard at how best to put our TV production machine on a sustainable footing without weakening either the calibre of our journalism or the distinctiveness of our output. I’ll continue to work with EVP, TV Programming, Eric Sherling, his colleagues and our excellent line-up of Executive Producers on all these challenges.

And this bit may also be off particular interest - basically CNN haven't worked out everything yet:
Quote:We will continue to present the CNN International brand to audiences around the world, but internally we will operate as one, increasingly coordinated and united organization. The television production side of CNN International will remain under Mike as we work through future structure and operations.

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 21-01-2024

Yes, I’ve seen that. It all seems pretty vague still as to what any of the actual changes will be…. Beyond him apparently wanting to try a subscriber model for the website.

What does “internally we will operate as one” even mean? Domestic and international are quite siloed off at the moment… and for good reason!

And this also makes me think that sooner or later Domestic and International could merge…. Or maybe International and Max.

RE: CNN - ginnyfan - 21-01-2024

Doesn't sound good. Dodgy It's best when they focus on domestic and forget about CNNi.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 21-01-2024

I don't think it sounds bad. As mentioned in the memo, domestic's primetime lineup is still green and needs to show growth. IMO, the breakfast show could use a complete overhaul (or at least a prescription for Mattingly to sit still).

Meanwhile, International is relaunching an Asian breakfast hour bringing the total daytime output to 14.5 hours, the channel's pre-pandemic output. Domestic produces 19 hours on weekdays and CNN Max produces 4. CNN Max appears to rely on domestic and international resources rather than being a discrete "silo". Techwood also doesn't appear to have a dedicated international newsroom and studio. Merging the behind the scenes operations for two channels that most viewers wouldn't be able to tell apart makes sense.

Also worth considering, the Max app is slated to launch in Europe this year. I'd be surprised if a live news stream isn't included at launch, replacing the standalone stream available for UK viewers.

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 21-01-2024

Oh I think it would be very noticeable for viewers if behind the scenes teams were merged.

And not a good thing for the staff if everyone is made to reapply for their jobs… something that would not be usual during restructuring of departments.

Guess we’ll see over the coming months!

RE: CNN - Deri - 22-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 11:56 AM)AJB39 Wrote:  The old schedule page is not working for me.

Not sure why the full address didn't carry through. When I entered it the whole thing was there! Let's see if this works.

https://edition.cnn.com/tv/schedule/americas/index.html 

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 22-01-2024

Btw. At CNN Center, domestic and international news gathering teams sat in that same big, main newsroom. They were and still are operated quite separately though. Digital had also been in that same newsroom in later years but was also operated separately (it USEd to have its own, separate newsroom).

Mark Thompson’s idea is for them all to work as one. Nice concept, but I’m not sure how that would actually work, practically speaking.

BUT he also seems to want the production SHOW TEAMS to work as one.

At CNN Center, international and domestic show teams each had their own newsroom. And not only were they on separate floors, they were also in separate office towers. Yes, CNN Center had two office towers, if you didn’t realize that.

At Techwood, all show production teams are on the same floor… Max, international, domestic. And there aren’t any partitions dividing them.

But they’re all quite separately operated. Again, I can’t even begin to imagine what combining operations would look like.

It’s going to be an interesting year.

RE: CNN - TMD_24 - 22-01-2024

CNN This Morning is being presented from outside the studio for the first time in a while today. They are presenting from another dining place in New Hampshire instead!

RE: CNN - Deri - 23-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 11:56 AM)AJB39 Wrote:  The old schedule page is not working for me.

If you click the square box with the arrow (immediately after edition.cnn.com) that opens the international schedule page. I put the full url in when I sent my message but for some reason it shortens it in this way. Not sure if this is a Pres thing or something else but I wish it would leave the full url showing. Less confusing!

RE: CNN - TMD_24 - 23-01-2024

Does seem to be an inconsistentcy with the election graphics at the moment. Outside of the actual coverage, CNN are currently using the old election graphics whilst when they do the main coverage, the use the new ones.