Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 02-04-2023

Damn, that's a real shame that they're using that backdrop for CNN This Morning Weekend. I think it looks awful. And there's no Atlanta representation that I can see.

What they had before was gorgeous. For those who didn't realize -- it was the midtown Atlanta skyline, specifically what it looks like from or near Piedmont Park. Google piedmont park skyline and you'll see what I mean.

CNNI's studio 4 also has Atlanta buildings, but different ones. Those are downtown Atlanta buildings.

Will we see any Atlanta skylines at Tecwhood? Who knows. Techwood has a pretty good view though, so it would be nice to incorporate that.

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 02-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 06:09 PM)inletwindow Wrote:  Damn, that's a real shame that they're using that backdrop for CNN This Morning Weekend.  I think it looks awful.  And there's no Atlanta representation that I can see.

What they had before was gorgeous.  For those who didn't realize -- it was the midtown Atlanta skyline, specifically what it looks like from or near Piedmont Park.  Google piedmont park skyline and you'll see what I mean.

CNNI's studio 4 also has Atlanta buildings, but different ones.  Those are downtown Atlanta buildings. 

Will we see any Atlanta skylines at Tecwhood?  Who knows.  Techwood has a pretty good view though, so it would be nice to incorporate that.
Not long to go and we won't have to put up with people in props trying to make the best of what they've got. 

Personally - that studio is a disgrace. The Newsroom set stuck in a corner with maybe one LCD display. It's retirement time.

(02-04-2023, 10:35 AM)ginnyfan Wrote:  
(02-04-2023, 01:49 AM)inletwindow Wrote:  Zero chance of CNNI having a regular schedule that day.

I guess it's time for CNNI viewers to get ready for several more years of simulcasts, with the new Trump drama that CNN has wholeheartedly embraced, plus the election coming, the little what's left of CNNI programming will be mostly gone. It's like 2016 all over again...

By "Trump drama" you mean the first U.S. president (former or current) to ever be charged with a crime?  Oh, and he's also CURRENTLY running for president again.  Whatever your feelings on him, this is a huge deal.

Would you rather CNN ignore it?  And all the other indictments that will surely follow (and for much more serious crimes).

Generally, I am NOT a fan of domestic simulcasts.... but for stuff like this, it makes sense.  

But on another note -- I don't think Chris Licht has really set his sights on CNNI yet.  Who knows what his plans are or will be for the network.  

What have we gotten under him so far?   A revamped 4am show hosted by Max and Bianca that is always simulcast on domestic and that on occasion has also overtaken Early Start's 5am hour.  The return of an 8am show on CNNI. And the killing of the 5pm show.  

What will come next?  We'll have to wait and see.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 02-04-2023

I like the new backdrop as well. I didn’t mind the old one, but when it’s been on air for 9 years and you’re trying to move on from the previous iteration of your morning show it’s time for a change.

I’m a little surprised they haven’t moved the weekend shows to the CNNi studio. With no Weekend Express or dedicated International shows besides World Sport, Studio 4 would look much better than the current setup.

On the plus side CNN seems focusing on studios and graphics. We’re getting the big studios in daytime starting tomorrow, someone finally realized Fareed Zakaria’s program looks terrible when they flip flop around studios, and the Weekend show is finally getting the CNN This Morning treatment.

On the CNNi side Abu Dhabi launched a new studio and it’s actually an improvement. The 2a-4a ET Newsroom has been simulcast daily on CNN/US since February 27. We might not get a bunch of new programming, but I think CNN realizes they have international assets worth investing in.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 02-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 07:47 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  With no Weekend Express or dedicated International shows besides World Sport, Studio 4 would look much better than the current setup.
Well, that is the reason, at least on Saturdays. 12pm hour has both Fredericka Whitfield and World Sport on air at the same time.

(02-04-2023, 07:47 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  I like the new backdrop as well. I didn’t mind the old one, but when it’s been on air for 9 years and you’re trying to move on from the previous iteration of your morning show it’s time for a change.

I’m a little surprised they haven’t moved the weekend shows to the CNNi studio. With no Weekend Express or dedicated International shows besides World Sport, Studio 4 would look much better than the current setup.

On the plus side CNN seems focusing on studios and graphics. We’re getting the big studios in daytime starting tomorrow, someone finally realized Fareed Zakaria’s program looks terrible when they flip flop around studios, and the Weekend show is finally getting the CNN This Morning treatment.

On the CNNi side Abu Dhabi launched a new studio and it’s actually an improvement. The 2a-4a ET Newsroom has been simulcast daily on CNN/US since February 27. We might not get a bunch of new programming, but I think CNN realizes they have international assets worth investing in.

Had that backdrop really been on air for 9 years??  I'm not sure they've even been using that studio for that long.   
Studio 3 was HLN's studio up until after all the dayside anchors left for NY or DC.  And all the CNN domestic shows were in Studio 7.   

The final dayside anchors left mid-2014 (so not quite 9 years ago).  But did that studio swap happen immediately?  And was that backdrop the original backdrop?  I honestly can't remember.  

I think that your idea of moving domestic shows into the CNNi studio makes no sense, doesn't fit their look at all, and could cause control room complications.  Maybe domestic doesn't utilize the space well in the studio they're currently in -- but the CNNi one is MUCH smaller.  

Yeah, Feb. 27 is about when all this CNN Primetime experimentation started.  It's all about what domestic wants to replay overnight or not (for the benefit of the west coast), as well as the news going on.  

I think the only hour that's simulcast by default is the 4am (on weekdays).   It has often also been 2 and 3 as well though you're right!

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 02-04-2023

Sorry, it’s only been 8 years: https://www.newscaststudio.com/2015/01/21/cnn-rehashes-hln-studio/ 

As for the studios: I thought CNN basically had infrastructure that allowed all of their studios and control rooms to be interoperable.

As for the look: the color changing lights could match the peach/orange look during weekdays. All you’d need to do it pull in a glass desk. imo that’s better than the current look, but that’s just personal preference.

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 02-04-2023

The old backdrop integrated the joints between the screens a lot better than the new one. Imo the This Morning backdrop fits better on the weekday curved screen in NYC.

Is the sofa still there at studio 3 btw?

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 03-04-2023

Just a reminder for those of us who are avid viewers of CNN. CNN News Central is launched today at 9am EST.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 03-04-2023

Let's hope it goes better than the BBC News soft launch. A lot of unhappy campers on that thread...