Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - TMD_24 - 04-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 08:15 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  
(01-04-2023, 09:42 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Noticed from the US schedules that domestic will have live coverage of Trump surrendering on Tuesday between 12pm-4pm and 8pm-11pm with CNN Tonight following after that from 11pm-1am though the International schedules have not updated to reflect so unclear whether International will opt-out to Domestic from 12pm-4pm or do their usual International schedule that day.

International schedule for tomorrow has now updated to show them simulcasting domestic from 5pm UK time with the only domestic opt-out being World Sport at 10:30pm-11pm.

Another update as International will now simulcast domestic from 9am ET meaning International viewers will get to see News Central for the first time.

CNN This Morning has gone on air from 5am ET and will do so tomorrow as well. Poppy Harlow and Don Lemon are presenting from the studio with Kaitlan Collins presenting outside from Manhattan Criminal Court.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 04-04-2023

CNNi just broke away from News Central to Becky Anderson for the NATO/Finland flag raising ceremony.

RE: CNN - Medianext.MX - 04-04-2023

Back to the News Central presentation, something more of a reflection than reality: if they brought back the Score Productions theme, they should had brought back James Earl Jones to re-record the "This is CNN" for the show pre-opener, and even record another voice-over for the main opener ("Live from New York/the nation's capital, you're on the CNN News Central" or something like that). This would had served as a last rite for Jones, partly due to his importance as CNN's most recognized voice-over (alongside the likes of Don Harrison and Jeff McNeal) and partly because he's already semi-retired (he's already 92 and he no longer voices Darth Vader). That would had been a delight for pres and CNN fans and would also signal the show's focus on hard news (like the heyday CNN did).

Jones didn't only do the This is CNN ident (he even re-recorded it in 2013, during the initial Zucker years, and was used also in the mobile app launcher for some time); he also did the open for the former New Day show, re-recording it when anchor musical chairs happen, up to the Berman/Keilar relaunch, when the VO was dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZkjJbXMDZI 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaQ5rWUhJ6Q 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMB4AFdWS0I 

Managed to watch a whole show of News Central today and it's probably one of the high points so far of the Licht era. A well produced news show with mostly a mix of the top stories from the USA but a few other important international stories as well.

It's very well paced with a fair amount of time dedicated to each story, I know Trump would be the main story but it actually feels like others have got just as much time as well and the use of correspondents are really good. The Trump news is the sort of thing that would just get all day coverage with Zucker in charge with everything else just ignored.

As noted on the page before with News Central, there has been very little interviews and taking heads and that's a plus for me. I'm less bothered about that during special event and primetime shows like CNN Tonight but there's no need for it during daytime. Most of that has been replaced by reporting from correspondents and analysis from non-partisan analysts and experts. It's also really good to see simple explainer graphics on the studio screens. They may be simple but are very effective in explaining the story.

The only thing I would change at the moment is the presenter interaction, there's very little of it at the moment and whilst a fast paced news show makes there little opportunity for that, it would be at least a good idea to see some more segments done with two presenters and some with just one. I do also wonder how they would deal with a big breaking news story as well, I don't think it would be suitable for them to be standing all the time for that, they surely would at least get them a desk for serious news.

But overall it's a massive thumbs up for me so far, the exact sort of show CNN needs in the morning and I look forward to seeing it all when they also do this in Washington into the afternoon as well.

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 04-04-2023

Interesting to see CNN using both sides of studio 19L (A360) and the now retired Neesroom set.

Cooper is utilising both desks to occupy more studio guests.

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 04-04-2023

It's beyond me why the news ticker needs to be removed for 'THE ARREST (in bigger font) AND ARRAIGNMENT (in bigger font) OF DONALD TRUMP (in bigger font)'. The show name widget in the bottom right is also swapping between 'The Lead' and 'The Trump Arraignment'.

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 04-04-2023

(04-04-2023, 09:22 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  It's beyond me why the news ticker needs to be removed for 'THE ARREST (in bigger font) AND ARRAIGNMENT  (in bigger font) OF DONALD TRUMP (in bigger font)'. The show name widget in the bottom right is also swapping between 'The Lead' and 'The Trump Arraignment'.
Maybe Jeff Zucker is back for a guest shift and calling the shots today. ;-)

(04-04-2023, 09:22 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  It's beyond me why the news ticker needs to be removed for 'THE ARREST (in bigger font) AND ARRAIGNMENT  (in bigger font) OF DONALD TRUMP (in bigger font)'. The show name widget in the bottom right is also swapping between 'The Lead' and 'The Trump Arraignment'.

They replace the ticker during almost every single-themed CNN Primetime. Given the habit it would be weird if they did not remove it today, during such a big event.

I find it a bit baffling as well when they brand show "The Lead" or "The Situation Room" when none of the graphics or formats are done in their usual way. Just a bit of marketing PR that could do with dropping especially when your presenters are different.

(04-04-2023, 05:42 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Interesting to see CNN using both sides of studio 19L (A360) and the now retired Neesroom set.

Cooper is utilising both desks to occupy more studio guests.

IIRC, that's what they usually do during big events in 21L, seemlessly adding another desk to the omnipresent one to create a big arced shape.
[Image: image.png]

They did the same thing, for example, during Jan. 6 hearings.
[Image: image.png]

(04-04-2023, 11:05 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  I find it a bit baffling as well when they brand show "The Lead" or "The Situation Room" when none of the graphics or formats are done in their usual way. Just a bit of marketing PR that could do with dropping especially when your presenters are different.
Weird, yes, especially when Wolf and Erin took over at 5pm for Jake and Anderson to have a little rest till 8pm, the ticker still carried "The Lead".

UPD. It appears that only Erin, sitting in Anderson's studio, has the panel. Wolf is panel-less and most likely in the cupboard.