Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 05-04-2023

(04-04-2023, 11:05 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  
(04-04-2023, 09:22 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  It's beyond me why the news ticker needs to be removed for 'THE ARREST (in bigger font) AND ARRAIGNMENT  (in bigger font) OF DONALD TRUMP (in bigger font)'. The show name widget in the bottom right is also swapping between 'The Lead' and 'The Trump Arraignment'.

I find it a bit baffling as well when they brand show "The Lead" or "The Situation Room" when none of the graphics or formats are done in their usual way. Just a bit of marketing PR that could do with dropping especially when your presenters are different.
I'm talking about the second set in that studio., directly opposite to the A360 set which I know is extendable. We saw a lot of it during the Midterm Elections. It was used for the NYC output of "Newsroom' when they moved out of 17L.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 05-04-2023

(05-04-2023, 09:26 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  I'm talking about the second set in that studio., directly opposite to the A360 set which I know is extendable. We saw a lot of it during the Midterm Elections. It was used for the NYC output of "Newsroom' when they moved out of 17L.

Ah, I finally caught up what you are talking about. Those two guests were not incorporated in the main panel, though, Anderson did a separate sit-down with them, so no extremely wide shots of the studio.

[Image: image.png]
Didn't realize it was that part of 21L that was used for Newsroom recreation. Early Start should still be going out from there tomorrow, though.

(05-04-2023, 10:36 AM)oscillon Wrote:  
(05-04-2023, 09:26 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  I'm talking about the second set in that studio., directly opposite to the A360 set which I know is extendable. We saw a lot of it during the Midterm Elections. It was used for the NYC output of "Newsroom' when they moved out of 17L.

Ah, I finally caught up what you are talking about.

[Image: image.png]
Didn't realize it was that part of 21L that was used for Newsroom recreation. Early Start should still be going out from there tomorrow, though.
That's it! Now looking at your cap - isn't that the desk that debuted when Brian Steltar launched his short lived show on CNN+ ??

Looks very similar, perhaps remodelled?

[Image: cnn-plus-reliable-sources-daily-wide-1536x868.jpg]

RE: CNN - oscillon - 05-04-2023

If it had not been for the central part of the desk (which narrower in Brian's version) I would've said that the desks are identical.

Newscaststudio said this back in the day about RS Daily:
Quote:The curved anchor desk with vertical color changing lightboxes are part of a new collection of modular options available to be used on current and future CNN+ programming (and could also show up on CNN too).
from here: https://www.newscaststudio.com/2022/04/04/cnn-plus-reliable-sources-daily-production-design/ 

So may be indeed they just reconfigured it by replacing the narrow segment with a wider one, and possibly, the upper part (as the change in length to one of the blocks might reduce the curvature of the whole thing.)

RE: CNN - ginnyfan - 05-04-2023

Don Lemon is a power grabbing, opportunistic and dangerous psycho, as I always suspected.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/cnn-don-lemon-misogyny-history-nikki-haley-1235574286/ 

(05-04-2023, 04:27 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Don Lemon is a power grabbing, opportunistic and dangerous psycho, as I always suspected.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/cnn-don-lemon-misogyny-history-nikki-haley-1235574286/ 

Wow, that is SCATHING! I wonder if it'll add to the furore and we'll see him finally removed from the network. I'll join you at the bar for a celebratory drink if that did happen.

RE: CNN - ginnyfan - 05-04-2023

Things he did to Kyra Phillips are vile. I'm shocked it was tolerated and all he got was demotion to weekends.

RE: CNN - mark - 05-04-2023

(04-04-2023, 05:11 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Managed to watch a whole show of News Central today and it's probably one of the high points so far of the Licht era. A well produced news show with mostly a mix of the top stories from the USA but a few other important international stories as well.

[...]

As noted on the page before with News Central, there has been very little interviews and taking heads and that's a plus for me. I'm less bothered about that during special event and primetime shows like CNN Tonight but there's no need for it during daytime. Most of that has been replaced by reporting from correspondents and analysis from non-partisan analysts and experts. It's also really good to see simple explainer graphics on the studio screens. They may be simple but are very effective in explaining the story.

The only thing I would change at the moment is the presenter interaction, there's very little of it at the moment and whilst a fast paced news show makes there little opportunity for that, it would be at least a good idea to see some more segments done with two presenters and some with just one. I do also wonder how they would deal with a big breaking news story as well, I don't think it would be suitable for them to be standing all the time for that, they surely would at least get them a desk for serious news.

But overall it's a massive thumbs up for me so far, the exact sort of show CNN needs in the morning and I look forward to seeing it all when they also do this in Washington into the afternoon as well.

I completely agree with all of this.

It's great to see a news channel doing the news. When I was watching earlier, every item apart from one was with a correspondent - and the only exception was a one-on-one interview with a relevant expert. 

It's actually a very similar format editorially to NBC News Now - which I much prefer to the opinion-focused traditional cable newsers.

I do think there could be more interaction between the presenters. At times, they may as well be in different studios. And, in some (but definitely not all) shots, the studio feels a bit cold and pale. 

But, overall, News Central feels like a big upgrade in both editorial and presentation terms.

RE: CNN - Kojak - 05-04-2023

(05-04-2023, 04:44 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(05-04-2023, 04:27 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Don Lemon is a power grabbing, opportunistic and dangerous psycho, as I always suspected.

Wow, that is SCATHING! I wonder if it'll add to the furore and we'll see him finally removed from the network. I'll join you at the bar for a celebratory drink if that did happen.
First round is on me! God, what a ghastly individual. Surely he'll be gone in a matter of days? To me, this gives off the air of a coordinated campaign to get rid of him - and not before time. Horrible.

RE: CNN - Charles - 05-04-2023

(05-04-2023, 04:46 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Things he did to Kyra Phillips are vile. I'm shocked it was tolerated and all he got was demotion to weekends.
The story checks out too because Newsroom went to a single anchor format around that time – I can't help but think that this could have been a factor in the decision.

Also, that on-the-record quote from Soledad O'Brien, in which she reacts to the story of him doubting whether she's black:

“Don has long had a habit of saying idiotic and inaccurate things, so it sounds pretty on brand for him.” 

Ouch!