Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - oscillon - 05-04-2023

For some odd reason CNNI is again simulcasting CNN/US instead of QMB. Can it be due to the Speaker of the House visiting Taiwan that started 5 minutes into the hour (and simulcast was at least from the TOTH)?

UPD. Yes, after CNN/US moved away from the story, CNNI went its own way with QMB. Weird that they chose to simulcast this time (and not dip in and out of the joint presser on their own), given little international attention.

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 05-04-2023

(05-04-2023, 08:08 PM)oscillon Wrote:  For some odd reason CNNI is again simulcasting CNN/US instead of QMB. Can it be due to the Speaker of the House visiting Taiwan that started 5 minutes into the hour (and simulcast was at least from the TOTH)?

UPD. Yes, after CNN/US moved away from the story, CNNI went its own way with QMB. Weird that they chose to simulcast this time (and not dip in and out of the joint presser on their own), given little international attention.

What filled the 5 minutes until the presser? Was it a live-cross to a Will Ripley or the like? If so, would make a little more sense given that they only have one correspondent that can be shared across both channels.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 05-04-2023

(05-04-2023, 08:44 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  
(05-04-2023, 08:08 PM)oscillon Wrote:  For some odd reason CNNI is again simulcasting CNN/US instead of QMB. Can it be due to the Speaker of the House visiting Taiwan that started 5 minutes into the hour (and simulcast was at least from the TOTH)?

What filled the 5 minutes until the presser? Was it a live-cross to a Will Ripley or the like? If so, would make a little more sense given that they only have one correspondent that can be shared across both channels.

No, it was Mike Pence not appealing to a special counsel ruling ordering him to testify, labelled as "Breaking news" in lower thirds...

RE: CNN - sky303 - 06-04-2023

(05-04-2023, 04:27 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Don Lemon is a power grabbing, opportunistic and dangerous psycho, as I always suspected.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/cnn-don-lemon-misogyny-history-nikki-haley-1235574286/ 

Yikes.  Though, I don't think this report will get him fired, but he is probably on some thin ice after the Haley comments. Him being pulled of the air after that for a bit was showing him he doesn't have the friends in high places that he once had as the report showed with Zucker and Phil Kent.

RE: CNN - TMD_24 - 06-04-2023

Some reporting from Dylan Byers at the bottom of this article mentioning that Kaitlan Collins will be on the 9pm slot all next week.

https://puck.news/the-art-of-aris-wwe-deal/ 

In another note, CNN will have one reporter less at the White House as MJ Lee is going on maternity leave but will back later in the Summer.

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 06-04-2023

(06-04-2023, 12:55 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Some reporting from Dylan Byers at the bottom of this article mentioning that Kaitlan Collins will be on the 9pm slot all next week.

https://puck.news/the-art-of-aris-wwe-deal/ 

In another note, CNN will have one reporter less at the White House as MJ Lee is going on maternity leave but will back later in the Summer.

The Trump coverage this week did remind me of the Zucker era and I even jokingly said Zucker might have been back in the control room for the day. 

Fantastic to see the ratings shot through the roof and Kaitlin's fast track is deserved whatever the reason. 

Thanks for sharing that.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 06-04-2023

Been collecting my thoughts for a couple of days, so bear with me if this is all over the place.

CNN News Central appears to be going well into Day 3. The anchors are starting to interact with each other more, as seen in this clip below:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1643727970404642819?s=20 

The only issue I have with the show is video wall graphics. The changing colors and the metal/glass sci-fi really just looks like The Lead to me. It also comes across as really cold and uninviting, which is the opposite effect when you're trying to invite people to leave the show on in the background during the day.

The article about Don Lemon is shocking and disappointing. It's clearly time for him to go. The CNN News Central trio have much better chemistry than the CNN This Morning team will ever have, and they don't talk to each other! 

Kaitlin Collin's appearances throughout the day, while great for a breakout star, also feel like she's shopping around for a new home at CNN. Her trial on CNN Primetime next week seems to add weight to that theory. It's no secret she hasn't been a fan of working with Don Lemon and if he won't go I imagine she will. Heck, even if he does get the boot I'm sure she'd rather move into Primetime where she can be a heavy hitter without co-anchors having a superiority complex in the name of ageism over her. 

Tuesday's Coverage was heavily disappointing. CNN have constantly claimed they aren't chasing the ratings, yet made decisions to win over audiences with their incessant coverage. It's one thing to cover the story, it's another to go into a full out gala over it. I had really hoped CNN would tone down their obsession with the former president since the attention they gave him was a factor in his rise in popularity the first time.

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 06-04-2023

(06-04-2023, 02:02 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  Been collecting my thoughts for a couple of days, so bear with me if this is all over the place.

CNN News Central appears to be going well into Day 3. The anchors are starting to interact with each other more, as seen in this clip below:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1643727970404642819?s=20 

The only issue I have with the show is video wall graphics. The changing colors and the metal/glass sci-fi really just looks like The Lead to me. It also comes across as really cold and uninviting, which is the opposite effect when you're trying to invite people to leave the show on in the background during the day.

The article about Don Lemon is shocking and disappointing. It's clearly time for him to go. The CNN News Central trio have much better chemistry than the CNN This Morning team will ever have, and they don't talk to each other! 

Kaitlin Collin's appearances throughout the day, while great for a breakout star, also feel like she's shopping around for a new home at CNN. Her trial on CNN Primetime next week seems to add weight to that theory. It's no secret she hasn't been a fan of working with Don Lemon and if he won't go I imagine she will. Heck, even if he does get the boot I'm sure she'd rather move into Primetime where she can be a heavy hitter without co-anchors having a superiority complex in the name of ageism over her. 

Tuesday's Coverage was heavily disappointing. CNN have constantly claimed they aren't chasing the ratings, yet made decisions to win over audiences with their incessant coverage. It's one thing to cover the story, it's another to go into a full out gala over it. I had really hoped CNN would tone down their obsession with the former president since the attention they gave him was a factor in his rise in popularity the first time.
I think everything you've written is valid and a great sum-up - however, the coverage of the Trump indictment was a truly historic occasion and a first for the USA. Every network went all out and the main channels delivered special coverage right across the day.

It just goes to show - when big stories happen, people do turn to CNN and in my opinion they did it well.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 06-04-2023

Fair point. I think you summed it up best: It felt like Zucker era coverage. Personally, I wish it didn't.

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 08-04-2023

I think on the day of the arrest and arraignment, the coverage was more than warranted. It’s a huge deal. No current or former president had ever been arrested or charged with felonies before.

It was the biggest story of the day. Hands down (certainly in the U.S. and arguably around the world as well). And people flock to CNN to watch coverage of major events.

BUT on OTHER days, CNN should not become the all Trump all the time network like MSNBC is. And I don’t think it is. Cover him when it’s newsworthy (which still is pretty darn often).

Buckle up, because there are at least three other investigations going on for which Trump could be charged with crimes…. And likely much more serious than this first case.