Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - Kojak - 10-04-2023

(10-04-2023, 06:40 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(10-04-2023, 06:32 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  I have to agree. They hit on a great format. Its light, pacey and friendly but authoritative and its feels "Big".  Not a presenter stuck in front of a screen and a skyline background using a locked down camera. I for one would LOVE much more international news. But the format just feels right for today. No its certainly not perfect, but they did a great job putting this together.  It doesnt feel to over produced. Some new shows have too many cutesy titled segments, instead of just presenting the news.  They have a few, but its not a boat-load of overly produced packaged and title segments. 

Instead of a boring, anchor strapped behind a desk or awkwardly standing on a catwalk, then conducting one boring talking head discussion after another or just sitting there reading one headline after another in a bored monotone voice, introducing every single report with the phrase....."Joe Bloggs reports".  Not sure why presenters on other channels dont seem, to me, to have a tv personality, like they are enjoying their job. Its a fine line.  The 3 News Central presenters seem to like each other. And yeah a flubbed line isnt the end of the world and its not like they will be executed following the broadcast. And I know some expressed concerned 3 presenters is too many. These 3 work well together and the 3 presenters work if its dones correctly and its not too jarring to the viewer either.

I know Im going to get flamed for saying this, but CNN presenters seem to handle breaking news VERY well. You rarely, if ever get the deer in headlights look or the constant staring at the desktop screen and the AWFUL. HALTING. SPEECH. THAT. COMES. WITH. BREAKING.NEWS. on some channels.  And the ubiquitous THANK. YOU. VERY. MUCH. INDEED. after seemingly every interview.

It seems that they have a plan when breaking news occurs, where each presenter is going to go in the studio and who is going to do what. And they have the desk on the left side of set to use if coverage lasts for a extended period of time.

Having said that it feels weird when NewsCentral is over and CNN returns to its previous formats. You see how badly they are done. So far, in general I like it and lives up to the hype for the most part. Cant wait for other parts to debut. Hopefully this format could be extended to CNNi......one could wish. Not likely though.
What would anyone 'flame' you for that review? It's spot on perfect. 

I felt a little uncertain about using the word 'enjoying' after the breaking news happened but it worked for what was to follow. 

They really do seem to have at the very least cracked the ice. It's a fabulous segment. 

Let's hope the Washington trio strike the same chord! If they don't it'll be a very visible problem.
I know what Mouseboy is getting at - there is a view among some that TV news should consist of a sole presenter sat behind a desk, introducing the same reports hour after hour. I respect that view, but it’s not one I share. 

Does anyone remember Sky’s attempt at three-presenter news? Like CNN, they had two trios (morning and afternoon). From what I recall, the morning trio (Martin Stanford, Annas Botting and Jones) wasn’t too bad, but the afternoon trio… Mark Longhurst and Steve Dixon, whilst both excellent presenters who clearly got on very well, could be really quite silly and OTT at times, and Ginny Buckley just wasn’t suited to rolling news, bless her (though she is now a very successful motoring journalist, so all’s well that ends well!). I suspect (and hope!) CNN has looked at that and learned from it.

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 10-04-2023

It's interesting why Fredricka Whitfield needs to be at Hudson Yards if it's being produced from Atlanta??

Are we absolutely sure these hours are Atlanta produced? Or, could this be a temporary situation while CNN move from CNN Center to Techwood?

Fredricka Whitfield has subbed for various anchors in the past from NYC at Columbus Circle. I can't work it out.

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 10-04-2023

(10-04-2023, 08:12 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  It's interesting why Fredricka Whitfield needs to be at Hudson Yards if it's being produced from Atlanta??

Are we absolutely sure these hours are Atlanta produced? Or, could this be a temporary situation while CNN move from CNN Center to Techwood?

Fredricka Whitfield has subbed for various anchors in the past from NYC at Columbus Circle. I can't work it out.

Yes, those hours are primarily produced from Atlanta. Control room and most producers and writers are in Atlanta. SOME staff are in NY as well.

Still... I'm not sure why Fred has to be in NY.  But it could be due to studio staffing.  They're staffed up for these hours to be anchored out of NY, not Atlanta.  So it might actually be easier and cost less to just have her do it from there?  It's possible.  And it probably looks better than just having her out of an Atlanta flash.  

And maybe she also wants some face time with bosses like Chris Licht? 

Techwood move has not happened yet. 

Edited for clarity and to make more succinct.

RE: CNN - mouseboy33 - 10-04-2023

Just to clear up any confusion. And to take the gallery/control room move of out the speculation/discussion. The studio side and other operations are/have relocated from CNN Center but CNN Master Control is already operational from Techwood. So I dont think mastercontrol/gallery stuff is necessarily a consideration per say.

Its mentions in this article back in January. So likely they just built a completely new MasterControl at Techwood and switched it on sometime in 2022. So it seems the other technical operations, studios and archives, channel newsrooms for CNNI, Domestic, Espanol etc are in the process or have just relocated from CNN Center.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cnns-permanent-move-from-cnn-center-to-techwood-campus-will-conclude-this-year/521567/ 

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 10-04-2023

(10-04-2023, 10:24 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Just to clear up any confusion. And to take the gallery/control room move of out the speculation/discussion. The studio side and other operations are/have relocated from CNN Center but CNN Master Control is already operational from Techwood. So I dont think mastercontrol/gallery stuff is necessarily a consideration per say.

Its mentions in this article back in January. So likely they just built a completely new MasterControl at Techwood and switched it on sometime in 2022. So it seems the other technical operations, studios and archives, channel newsrooms for CNNI, Domestic, Espanol etc are in the process or have just relocated from CNN Center.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cnns-permanent-move-from-cnn-center-to-techwood-campus-will-conclude-this-year/521567/ 
So.  I think master control moved to Techwood quite some time ago — maybe before it was even announced (or perhaps even decided) that the rest of CNN would.  I kind of forgot about that it was so long ago. 

Master control is NOT what I mean when I say control rooms.

Other little things may have also moved, but by and large, no significant move has occurred yet.  Certainly not any of the newsrooms or show teams.  

Construction is probably not even finished yet.  So sure, things are in “the process” of moving, as you say, but it’s a slow process.

It’s supposed to be finished by the end of the year — so that still leaves many months.  The year isn’t even half over.

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 11-04-2023

Mediate/The Daily Beast are reporting Dana Bash may replace John King as the host of Inside Politics.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/cnn-reportedly-looking-to-replace-john-king-with-dana-bash/ 

Not sure I think that’s a good move, tbh.

RE: CNN - ginnyfan - 11-04-2023

Good riddance. King has been a biased, opinionated talking head for far too long. He's ripe for MSNBC.

RE: CNN - AJB39 - 11-04-2023

(11-04-2023, 01:44 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  Mediate/The Daily Beast are reporting Dana Bash may replace John King as the host of Inside Politics.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/cnn-reportedly-looking-to-replace-john-king-with-dana-bash/ 

Not sure I think that’s a good move, tbh.

That would be a shame, I like John King and he’s great during elections with the magic wall.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 12-04-2023

For tonight's prerecorded segment of AC360, it's chairs and coffee table instead of the usual desk in 21L.
[Image: image.png]

RE: CNN - Charles - 12-04-2023

(10-04-2023, 11:09 PM)inletwindow Wrote:  
(10-04-2023, 10:24 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Just to clear up any confusion. And to take the gallery/control room move of out the speculation/discussion. The studio side and other operations are/have relocated from CNN Center but CNN Master Control is already operational from Techwood. So I dont think mastercontrol/gallery stuff is necessarily a consideration per say.

So.  I think master control moved to Techwood quite some time ago — maybe before it was even announced (or perhaps even decided) that the rest of CNN would.  I kind of forgot about that it was so long ago. 

Master control is NOT what I mean when I say control rooms.

Other little things may have also moved, but by and large, no significant move has occurred yet.  Certainly not any of the newsrooms or show teams.  

Construction is probably not even finished yet.  So sure, things are in “the process” of moving, as you say, but it’s a slow process.

It’s supposed to be finished by the end of the year — so that still leaves many months.  The year isn’t even half over.
I think you're probably right. Master control and the control room (or 'gallery' in UK parlance) are two very different functions. You can move master control to another location and not affect live news production at all, and you can have an anchor remotely or in a different studio somewhere, but you can't really separate the control room from the newsroom staff (i.e. producers, directors, etc.) If most newsroom staff haven't moved out of CNN Center yet, then it's unlikely that any control rooms already set up at Techwood are responsible for any live news output just yet.