Pres Café
CNN - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: CNN (/showthread.php?tid=58)

RE: CNN - mouseboy33 - 18-04-2023

CNN News Central DC certainly seems be a bit more "settled" than NYC. Thats not meant to be a slight, its a bit little more subdued. I personally prefer the NYC trio. But I do like the DC trio. Show feels right. WIthout being too political. Politics may appeal to Beltway but unless is major news. Its quite boring. Still think they hit on a good fomat. I do have to say the CNN probably has among the best of not the best on large screen use with little to zero washout, moire, fuzziness. It always comes across very well. I notice aslo DC, likr NYC the lighting is flawless.

RE: CNN - j.smith - 18-04-2023

(15-04-2023, 10:50 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Don't think Laura Coates has presented CNN Tonight as regularly as before, most of the time it's been Alisyn Camerota doing it for the last couple of weeks. 

One thing I have noticed is when CNN announced the revamped schedule is that Alisyn was going to do the 10pm hour of CNN Tonight whilst Laura Coates was going to do the 11pn hour. So far these changes haven't happend so far with Alisyn doing both hours. They have revamped the 11pm hour recently though with the coffee table and reporters joining the panel to discuss the reporting so I wonder if this 11pm format is either intended to be Laura's new hour in the future with that format or due to recent changes at SirxusFM means that Laura will no longer do it. I don't think she is giving up that slot by the looks of it as the press release mentioned above mentioned that she will continue CNN Tonight presenting duties. Just makes me wonder what's all the delay about then if CNN is going to implement the changes they originally planned. 

https://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2023/01/11/dayside-programming-announcement-berman-bolduan-sidner-keilar-sanchez-sciutto/ 

Insider's Claire Atkinson is now reporting this and that Alisyn Camerota will anchor both hours:

https://twitter.com/claireatki/status/1648446832736100352 

You can read the article outside the paywall here: https://archive.ph/5hIW7 

RE: CNN - matthieu1221 - 19-04-2023

The alternate sting used at the beginning of the premiere edition of News Central DC sounds great. Do they have more variations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGU4nPDps84 

RE: CNN - EastCoast - 19-04-2023

I struggle to see how axing Laura Coates’ planned show saves on costs. The team already manages to handle two hours, including the current iteration where the 10pm and 11pm hours look and feel different. And it’s pretty darn shady to cancel a show you never premiered after releasing a press release on it.

There’s also a bit of irony if Kaitlan Collins gets 9pm over Laura Coates. Don Lemon spent years elevating Laura Coates and only bringing her in as a fill-in presenter, only to drive Kaitlan away from the morning show and into the primetime limelight.

Hopefully her new SiriusXM radio show goes well.

RE: CNN - oscillon - 19-04-2023

(19-04-2023, 02:21 AM)EastCoast Wrote:  I struggle to see how axing Laura Coates’ planned show saves on costs. The team already manages to handle two hours, including the current iteration where the 10pm and 11pm hours look and feel different. And it’s pretty darn shady to cancel a show you never premiered after releasing a press release on it.

CNN appears to favour the approach of "one dedicated team per show", so a different anchor might mean a different team as well and they might want to avoid that while retaining the overall approach.

IIRC when Cuomo was first suspended pretty much in the eleventh hour, it was the whole AC360 team who did the heavy lifting by prepping a second hour of their show in a limited amount of time instead, not the Cuomo Primetime team with Anderson as host.

RE: CNN - Cinephilia - 19-04-2023

While politics is important, having a balance of news and analysis on different topics is also key. As for the alternate sting used in News Central DC's premiere, there might be more variations available.

RE: CNN - Newsroom - 19-04-2023

(19-04-2023, 02:41 AM)oscillon Wrote:  
(19-04-2023, 02:21 AM)EastCoast Wrote:  I struggle to see how axing Laura Coates’ planned show saves on costs. The team already manages to handle two hours, including the current iteration where the 10pm and 11pm hours look and feel different. And it’s pretty darn shady to cancel a show you never premiered after releasing a press release on it.

CNN appears to favour the approach of "one dedicated team per show", so a different anchor might mean a different team as well and they might want to avoid that while retaining the overall approach.

IIRC when Cuomo was first suspended pretty much in the eleventh hour, it was the whole AC360 team who did the heavy lifting by prepping a second hour of their show in a limited amount of time instead, not the Cuomo Primetime team with Anderson as host.

If we think back to previous anchors who have departed the network, I can't think of one single goodbye where an entire team hasn't been thanked, or we've seen a photo on social media etc.. There will be money saved to cutting Laura Coates' show but surely Alisyn Camerota's team will need to be remunerated for programming an extra hour that includes paying guests of which both hours are very heavy reliant on. 

I do not think there is much weight to the race card that Insider article leans on. Don Lemon was clearly demoted, not shoved aside because he's not white! By all accounts Victor Blackwell did want to return to his home town and we can therefore assume he was not demoted. I think CNN does feature a vast amount of talent of all colour whether behind the desk of in front of the camera.

If Laura is being put on a roster of rotating shows then it's clearly no sign she's on her way out of the door. I am no fan of Chris Licht, but as far as I can recall, CNN haven't actually hired any new anchors through his tenure so far. It appears to be utilising existing anchors far better to be honest.

RE: CNN - inletwindow - 19-04-2023

(19-04-2023, 02:41 AM)oscillon Wrote:  

Yup! That's how Domestic likes to do it. Poor AC360 team, having to do *gasp* TWO hours. They have an enormous team. But at International, teams handle multiple shows normally -- like the single OVN team handles FIVE shows into weekdays and often six shows on weekends.

The move to News Central did consolidate dayside teams. There were separate 9a-11a and 11a teams -- now just a single AM News Central team. And there were separate 1p and 2p-4p teams, now just a single PM News Central team.

Quote:If we think back to previous anchors who have departed the network, I can't think of one single goodbye where an entire team hasn't been thanked, or we've seen a photo on social media etc.. There will be money saved to cutting Laura Coates' show but surely Alisyn Camerota's team will need to be remunerated for programming an extra hour that includes paying guests of which both hours are very heavy reliant on.

CNN does NOT pay guests. CNN Contributors or CNN Analysts do get paid, but I don't think it's usually a paid per appearance type of thing. I'm sure contributor agreements will vary though...

But all non-contributor types are not paid.

(19-04-2023, 12:47 PM)inletwindow Wrote:  CNN does NOT pay guests. CNN Contributors or CNN Analysts do get paid, but I don't think it's usually a paid per appearance type of thing. I'm sure contributor agreements will vary though...

But all non-contributor types are not paid.

By guests I certainly meant analysts/contributors. Those hours are very contributor/analyst heavy, that being my point.

Brian Steltar popped up on the 5pm hour of BBC News just earlier.

[Image: Steltar.png]