Pres Café
BBC One Christmas 2023 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: BBC One Christmas 2023 (/showthread.php?tid=586)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: Globaltraffic24 - Globaltraffic24 - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 02:46 PM)orange Wrote:  If you’re being melodramatic about me saying I doubt the average viewer will notice or mind then you’ve got the wrong end of the stick. I dislike it when people use that as a shutdown on here because it’s a presentation forum - but in this case it’s quite apt? No one in their right mind is going to see they’ve used the same tree ident in 2020 (in conjunction with a decent amount of new idents, mind you) and go “OH… they’ve cut corners I see… no more BBC One for me.” 

This is an extremely dramatic post I have to say. If we’re going this route about it we may as well start sobbing about the fact BBC One used Wallace and Gromit idents in 2008. That must’ve been when they lost the war to streaming, right?
Calm down. I’m not trying to shut anyone down or bring over dramatic. I think you’ve won that prize today! 

My point is that we’re seeing a gradual diminishing of creativity in TV - driven largely by cost and the fact remains that the often overused excuse by executives is ‘we’ll probably get away with it as most folk won’t notice’. We’re seeing it across all areas of the BBC from idents to news presentation to regionalising of ‘local radio’. 

Now go and have a cup of tea and calm yourself down.

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - orange - 03-12-2023

Again… you’ve just completely misread the entire point of my post with another very reactionary and emotional post.

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - Frappé - 03-12-2023

Keep it friendly people, it's Christmas! Well, it's a thread about Christmas Pres, close enough!

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - orange - 03-12-2023

Right. Anyway - my point was literally just that if they’ve done it for variety then it’s more acceptable and it’s not going to be too noticeable, is it? The thing I dislike was when people say “the average person won’t care” about presentation on here (since… it’s a pres forum) but with these the reaction is absolutely going to be something like “Aw - I love Gruffalos! What a cute cat.” etc. 

They’re not exactly soulless idents - they’re a bit meh, but they’re more than adequate and not surprising given BBC’s track record with their pres lately. I think nostalgia blinds a lot of opinion on here sometimes.

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - SteveRW - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 02:49 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  I’m not going to be melodramatic but a year of reused BBC One Christmas idents is always very underwhelming, as it usually means it’s not a very exciting year programme wise, but let’s hope that they will do something special for Wallace & Gromit next year.

You are right about poor programmimg. A near normal Sunday night schedule on Christmas Eve and a 95 minute documentary on The King on Boxing Day is evidence that they are low on goodies in their cupboard.

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - Argyess - 03-12-2023

Out of the 2020 idents, I notice that 2 of them have yet to be aired this year -the Gruffalo's Child night time ident and the other Zog one, respectively admiring the Christmas tree.

There's been plenty of junctions in which they could have been aired since yesterday evening. Makes me wonder if they're not going to bother using these ones??

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - SteveRW - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 03:36 PM)Argyess Wrote:  Out of the 2020 idents, I notice that 2 of them have yet to be aired this year -the Gruffalo's Child night time ident and the other Zog one, respectively admiring the Christmas tree.

There's been plenty of junctions in which they could have been aired since yesterday evening.  Makes me wonder if they're not going to bother using these ones??

Three new and three old aare being usedd. I think the two News Safe and the Zog flying dragon ident (the worst out of the bunch) are the three old ones I reckon.

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - Argyess - 03-12-2023

Ah right, that'd make sense then.

And I agree- using the other Zog ident would indeed have been preferable, in my opinion.

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - Brekkie - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 03:15 PM)SteveRW Wrote:  You are right about poor programmimg. A near normal Sunday night schedule on Christmas Eve and a 95 minute documentary on The King on Boxing Day is evidence that they are low on goodies in their cupboard.

The Friday and Saturday beforehand not that great either.   We say it every year but just pulling one or two shows from Christmas Day rather than cramming everything in on the day itself really could boost another night significantly.

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - all new phil - 03-12-2023

Well at the risk of being called melodramatic..! It’s all just a bit underwhelming really.