Pres Café
BBC One Christmas 2023 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: BBC One Christmas 2023 (/showthread.php?tid=586)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - ViridianFan - 03-12-2023

I can’t see the ident package being one you’ll remember in years to come but there’s something sweet about them. The news safe Christmas tree could have been adapted for the lens look. 

I do think the biggest problem is Christmas now starts at the beginning of December. Instead of having a couple of weeks block of Christmas specials you’ve got the spread across the month weakening the impact. It’s started to feel like they’ve realised this so now make a Christmas special for everything. The whole thing was a Christmas special was special, almost an honour for that program. Im just waiting for them to work out how they can do a Christmas special of new so we end up with bbc news at six Christmas Special! 

It’s also why the idents don’t ever feel as special. For me as a child growing up it was so exciting seeing the Christmas idents launching because it meant it was getting close to Christmas. It seemed to always be close to the school breaking up which added to the excitement. Now they’re unveiled whilst “normal” life is still happening. They need to cut Christmas back to a much shorter time period.

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - Brekkie - 03-12-2023

Exactly. Christmas Eve was always a bit late but we're at the other extreme now. The Strictly Final feels like the pivot point for the end of regular programming and kicking more into Christmas mode, and indeed that was the point they launched for a few years which meant launching a day earlier each year- and then when the calendar meant it switched back to being later they just went even earlier.

This is where the Lens idents could work well - you could use them to offer a sneak peak at the Christmas idents early in December before launching them fully later in the month.

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - Stu - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 05:51 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I do think the biggest problem is Christmas now starts at the beginning of December.

I totally agree, and in fact this year it seems to be dragging even earlier into mid November. Unfortunately, TV has reflected this cultural shift by aligning their schedules earlier in response.

Maybe in a few years it'll go back the other way when surely society as a whole has enough of Christmas being in November!

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - orange - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 05:06 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Well at the risk of being called melodramatic..! It’s all just a bit underwhelming really.

I’ll let you off. Perhaps it was melodramatic of me to use the word melodramatic.

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - JMT1985 - 03-12-2023

I feel the BBC and ITV might even do as the US networks do, air their Christmas specials before 25th, and just fill Christmas week with cheap filler, movies and repeats.

I have seen the Christmas Day schedules for NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox in recent years, and they are appalling - no attempt at all to put in new programming, its Christmas movies, sport on Christmas Day and repeats of Christmas specials usually done by most affiliates, with late night simply being repeats of the previous weeks talks shows.

I hope the UK broadcasters don't go down that path

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - JAS84 - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 12:22 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Nothing will ever better this absolute perfection...

https://tvark.org/bbc-one-christmas-ident-9 

[Mod edit: YT link replaced by genuine TVArk link]  
I wasn't aware TV Ark was fully back online! When did that happen?

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - Milkshake - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 10:54 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  I wasn't aware TV Ark was fully back online! When did that happen?

4 weeks ago for its 25th Birthday.

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - Scrotnig - 04-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 11:33 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  4 weeks ago for its 25th Birthday.
Feels like it’s been offline for most of that time!

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - Keith - 04-12-2023

With regards to re-using previous X-Mas idents its worth noting that the BBC is currently fighting to get an increase on the licence fee. The BBC reportedly wanting a '12 month average' inflation equating to about £15, whilst the government is considering just using September's inflation equating to nearer £10.

With this in mind it makes sense not to be having lots of new X-Mas idents. After all, that would play perfectly into the narrative of "the BBC clearly still has plenty of money to spend, so doesn't need a large increase to the licence fee".

(As a side note, had it not been frozen in 2010 at £145.50 and increased with inflation it would now be £214.04 rather than £159. Similarly if not frozen in April 2021 with inflation it would now be £188.15 according to the Bank of England's inflation calculator.)

RE: BBC One Christmas 2023 - SteveRW - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 11:36 AM)Keith Wrote:  With regards to re-using previous X-Mas idents its worth noting that the BBC is currently fighting to get an increase on the licence fee. The BBC reportedly wanting a '12 month average' inflation equating to about £15, whilst the government is considering just using September's inflation equating to nearer £10.

With this in mind it makes sense not to be having lots of new X-Mas idents.  After all, that would play perfectly into the narrative of "the BBC clearly still has plenty of money to spend, so doesn't need a large increase to the licence fee". 

(As a side note, had it not been frozen in 2010 at £145.50 and increased with inflation it would now be £214.04 rather than £159.  Similarly if not frozen in April 2021 with inflation it would now be £188.15 according to the Bank of England's inflation calculator.)
Which suggests that they should have created a set of Christmas idents with the Lens effect when launching the current regular ident package. That way they would have instant Christmas idents and could just add a new one every other year to keep them fresh and relevant. I'm of the mindset that decent regular Christmas idents are better than half-arsed efforts of doing stuff for the sake of it, particularly as it seems that BBC1 can't even be bothered to create Christmas on BBC1 trails anymore. That is something that is definitely missed when it comes to BBC1 Christmas pres.