Pres Café
ITV Programming - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: ITV Programming (/showthread.php?tid=61)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: ITV Autumn 2022 Programming - Score - 14-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 05:30 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  That press pack seems really uninspiring.  The best dramas obviously being syphoned off for X and as a result it kind of feels like it cheapens the main channel.  Obviously X is the future and its an autumn going to be dominated by the Rugby World Cup but its still somewhat muted. 

Entertainment clearly lacking, but I guess they will be hoping that Rugby does the business on Saturday nights where entertainment against Strictly usually fails.

It is uninspiring. I think the Rugby explains entertainment to an extent as it will take up a lot of weekend slots, but The Voice is clearly in for a battering come November, particularly as it won’t be able to avoid Strictly with I’m a Celebrity on after it some weeks. They really do need to come up with something stronger for 2024.

The drama lineup is lacklustre though. I’m not sure how much of it is down to ITVX either as looking at the ITVX stuff, some of it seems to be imports, the only ITVX dramas that actually seem to be ITV commissions are the second series of Crime, Archie, Platform 7 and The Winter King. And whilst I think they are more interesting looking than the ITV1 dramas, none strike me as ratings winners. 

I do think there’s a real lack of returning drama on ITV now. The Sunday 2 hour dramas do well but they need the equivalent on weeknights in 1 hour drama, yet don’t seem in any rush to find them. Doc Martin ended last year and there’s been no attempt to replace it, they canned Good Karma Hospital, Grantchester (which gets mediocre numbers but is at least a staple) appears to have been delayed. They’ve only really got The Bay which returns year after year on weeknights, Unforgotten seems to be on a 2 year cycle now. They need their equivalents to Silent Witness and Death in Paradise but there doesn’t seem to be any urgency to find them. And to be fair BBC1 aren’t doing much better, although did at least launch Beyond Paradise this year which did very well. Perhaps ITV should have stuck with The Long Call and actually marketed it as a Vera spin-off.

RE: ITV Autumn 2022 Programming - Newshound47 - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 10:03 AM)Score Wrote:  It is uninspiring. I think the Rugby explains entertainment to an extent as it will take up a lot of weekend slots, but The Voice is clearly in for a battering come November, particularly as it won’t be able to avoid Strictly with I’m a Celebrity on after it some weeks. They really do need to come up with something stronger for 2024.

The drama lineup is lacklustre though. I’m not sure how much of it is down to ITVX either as looking at the ITVX stuff, some of it seems to be imports, the only ITVX dramas that actually seem to be ITV commissions are the second series of Crime, Archie, Platform 7 and The Winter King. And whilst I think they are more interesting looking than the ITV1 dramas, none strike me as ratings winners. 

I do think there’s a real lack of returning drama on ITV now. The Sunday 2 hour dramas do well but they need the equivalent on weeknights in 1 hour drama, yet don’t seem in any rush to find them. Doc Martin ended last year and there’s been no attempt to replace it, they canned Good Karma Hospital, Grantchester (which gets mediocre numbers but is at least a staple) appears to have been delayed. They’ve only really got The Bay which returns year after year on weeknights, Unforgotten seems to be on a 2 year cycle now. They need their equivalents to Silent Witness and Death in Paradise but there doesn’t seem to be any urgency to find them. And to be fair BBC1 aren’t doing much better, although did at least launch Beyond Paradise this year which did very well. Perhaps ITV should have stuck with The Long Call and actually marketed it as a Vera spin-off.
Grantchester has just started filming it’s next series so it will air next spring I imagine,

RE: ITV Autumn 2022 Programming - Brekkie - 14-08-2023

Nov/Dec should be better for The Voice than Sept/Oct last year as Strictly shows will be shorter by then so The Voice should have a clearer run after 8pm.

Agree they're really lacking returning dramas now, possibly as a result of concentrating on airing 4 parters across the week. They're also missing the cosy Sunday 8pm dramas now The Larkins has been axed.

RE: ITV Autumn 2022 Programming - Score - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 10:29 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Grantchester has just started filming it’s next series so it will air next spring I imagine,
That is actually the series after the next one. The series that has just started filming is series 9, but ITV are yet to show series 8. It’s currently on air in the US and ITV (who normally show it first) were due to show it in March, and even got as far as it being in the March highlights press release before, for some reason, it was swapped out and they showed Redemption instead. No idea why, and seeing as it’s not in the Autumn pack I assume it won’t air until next year now.
(14-08-2023, 10:40 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Nov/Dec should be better for The Voice than Sept/Oct last year as Strictly shows will be shorter by then so The Voice should have a clearer run after 8pm.

Agree they're really lacking returning dramas now, possibly as a result of concentrating on airing 4 parters across the week.  They're also missing the cosy Sunday 8pm dramas now The Larkins has been axed.

Strictly is shorter but I’m a Celebrity being on around 9/9.15pm might mean The Voice has to start pre-8pm some weeks so May still encounter some significant overlaps.

The Larkins is a weird one. It definitely underperformed so I get them axing it, but again they don’t seem to be attempting to replace it with anything. I’m beginning to wonder if they’re going to put Three Little Birds there this Autumn but I can see that bombing really badly. Good Karma Hospital was a stronger performer than The Larkins despite being thrown against Call the Midwife, but they (bizarrely) still axed it.

RE: ITV Autumn 2022 Programming - eyeTV - 14-08-2023

Given they tried to reboot Darling Buds of May, I'm amazed they've never done a reboot of Heartbeat and moved it into the 70's.

RE: ITV Autumn 2022 Programming - EJnutz - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 11:30 AM)eyeTV Wrote:  Given they tried to reboot Darling Buds of May, I'm amazed they've never done a reboot of Heartbeat and moved it into the 70's.

That would be a good decision and quite a variety of music to choose from.

RE: ITV Autumn 2022 Programming - Brekkie - 14-08-2023

I think had Heartbeat hadn't got stuck in 1969 if it was still on air they'd be in the 90s now watching Heartbeat.

RE: ITV Autumn 2022 Programming - Ash101 - 14-08-2023

I am kind of surprised they didn't give The Larkins a third go, "just because". As they're spending more on content for ITVX anyway and like has been said, they really don't have anything like it for the Sunday evening slots.

Although I can imagine the issues with the cast probably didn't play it its favour... Could they have reinvented it with Mariette being written out and replaced in stories by Primrose? Much like they had to do for half of series 2 anyway.

RE: ITV Autumn 2022 Programming - iloveTV1 - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 10:40 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Nov/Dec should be better for The Voice than Sept/Oct last year as Strictly shows will be shorter by then so The Voice should have a clearer run after 8pm.

Agree they're really lacking returning dramas now, possibly as a result of concentrating on airing 4 parters across the week.  They're also missing the cosy Sunday 8pm dramas now The Larkins has been axed.
I’m a Celebrity means that The Voice will probably end up at around 7.30pm.

RE: ITV Autumn 2022 Programming - JAS84 - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 11:30 AM)eyeTV Wrote:  Given they tried to reboot Darling Buds of May, I'm amazed they've never done a reboot of Heartbeat and moved it into the 70's.

A reboot would probably be in the 60s again, like the books it's based on. I agree though that they should've moved into the 70s once they reached that point instead of being frozen in 1969 for the remainder of the original run! Could've had a story about police forces merging due to county line changes in the mid 70s - for example Hull Police merged with it's counterparts in the rest of East Yorkshire and North Humberside to form Humberside Police - something similar would've likely happened to Aidensfield Police.