Pres Café
UKTV to become 'U' - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: UKTV to become 'U' (/showthread.php?tid=617)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Kunst - 21-01-2024

Isn't it about time they moved their sitcoms to Drama (maybe by renaming the channel) instead of keeping them to Yesterday, so that way Yesterday can become a "proper" documentary channel?

I understand commercial reasoning can't stand by my side, but it just would make things look more coherent, especially if they want to put even less emphasis on Eden

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Brekkie - 21-01-2024

I'm guessing Yesterday isn't seen as viable as a pure documentary channel, hence they throw in the comedy. I think some of it fits there better than Drama TBH.

I was thinking about something like Drama being reshaped as a general "TV series" channel, which sounds more ideal.

But obviously, it works better for them audience-wise, to have Yesterday as a semidocumentary channel

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - VMPhil - 21-01-2024

Yeah they could have more of a mix of both classic drama and comedy programmes, maybe even some old game shows or things like Top of the Pops. And it’d be a mix from all broadcasters so you could call it something like “Gold UK” maybe?

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Brekkie - 21-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 02:46 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Yeah they could have more of a mix of both classic drama and comedy programmes, maybe even some old game shows or things like Top of the Pops. And it’d be a mix from all broadcasters so you could call it something like “Gold UK” maybe?

U&G2 perhaps. Big Grin

Is it just Gold, Eden and Alibi now behind the paywall?

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - interestednovice - 21-01-2024

Yes, just Alibi, Gold & Eden are left as paywall channels.

Alibi is their main premium content channel, Gold is mainly the classic comedies & Eden is the most forgotten out of the set.

(21-01-2024, 02:46 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Yeah they could have more of a mix of both classic drama and comedy programmes, maybe even some old game shows or things like Top of the Pops. And it’d be a mix from all broadcasters so you could call it something like “Gold UK” maybe?
But the current GOLD is primarily a comedy channel, just as currently Alibi is a crime channel, not just a home for premium content.

They COULD potentially rebrand Drama into a FTA window for non-documentary adding comedy to drama, while keeping as a lifestyle channel, since obviously after the Discovery-BBC split, they don't directly own a lifestyle channel.
I wasn't suggesting to let Drama become Gold 2.

They could, but of course it was just a suggestion, I realize they might want to try a mix it all approach for Yesterday, as it works.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - JMT1985 - 21-01-2024

(20-01-2024, 07:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  OFAH about the only Gold show I don't recall ever being shown on their free to air channels. Most of the rest of their schedule has turned up on Dave, Yesterday, Drama or now W.

That is right - it is because Only Fools is probably their biggest hit, is why they keep it exclusive to GOLD

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - JAS84 - 21-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 01:55 PM)Kunst Wrote:  I was thinking about something like Drama being reshaped as a general "TV series" channel, which sounds more ideal.
Isn't that what W is supposed to be?

(21-01-2024, 07:00 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Isn't that what W is supposed to be?
I think you're right, I've checked the schedule and noticed more TV series than in the past

I thought it had gone "lifestyle"