Pres Café
UKTV to become 'U' - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: UKTV to become 'U' (/showthread.php?tid=617)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Andrew Wood - 29-11-2023

That & - can't help thinking it my cause some problems with URLs somewhere along the way.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - London Lite - 29-11-2023

It seems the branding boffins in Soho have all returned from working from home to come up with this Siobhan Sharpe W1A style nonsense.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - orange - 29-11-2023

Are U joking?

It does look a bit UTV… it’s absolutely ridiculous though. So they’re basically doing the whole UKTV [Channel Theme] naming device again but hamfistedly smashing together existing channel brands to achieve what exactly…? U&W?

What a load of tripe. It’s smug garbage that will literally do nothing for them. People aren’t going to suddenly drift towards a streaming service because you slapped a U in front of Dave. It’s quite infuriating that something like this slid through herds and herds of people without being halted - and I feel like it’s another example of linear TV head ups trying to go all in on streaming in the most rushed and clumsily manner possible…

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Spencer - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 12:15 PM)TesTVWhirl Wrote:  ITV have never seemed to put much effort into protecting some of their older company brands when the new one-man-bands have decided to buy out the name to trade off the history. So whether they'd consider it worth putting up much of a fight around the UTV brand which, although still technically active, they've already massively downplayed in recent years is debatable. If anything they might just use this as a good reason to finish it off completely and reposition the few remaining bits under ITV rather than risk getting into brand confusion territory.

In all likelyhood UKTV will have registered any relevant trademarks for the new plans anyway before announcing this publicly to stop any squatters, so if ITV were going to object on that ground they'd have received a notification due to being in similar classes and done it then.
It doesn't always work like that. Radio Exe weren't notified when Global launched Radio X, and in the end a deal had to be reached between the two.

And I think there's a big difference between someone reusing an old, defunct brand like TVS or Associated Rediffusion that ITV chose not to keep registered, and someone potentially infringing on a current, active brand, even if it's not quite as prominent as it was a few years ago.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Allanbuzzy - 29-11-2023

I respect Wolf Olins, especially with how they've done a tremendous job with the BBC rebrand.

But this is genuinely baffling. What exec thought "&" would be a good unifying identity for the channels? Was Dave not recognisable enough? Were they Googling the names, not finding any results of UKTV Play or god forbid, W? If you had an issue with the brands not unifying the UKTV brand name, here's a crazy idea:

Bring back the "UK". UK Gold, UK Yesterday, UK Dave, UK Drama, etc. "U&" is not going to become anything in lingo, people are still going to call the channel Dave.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Stooky Bill - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 01:49 PM)Spencer Wrote:  It doesn't always work like that. Radio Exe weren't notified when Global launched Radio X, and in the end a deal had to be reached between the two.
I didn't know they did a deal over it, wondered how they were so happy with them doing it though. 

Global are currently on the other side of that sort of thing and are challenging a radio station with Gold in its name. Which is a bit silly considering how their Gold station came about

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - LargelyALurker - 29-11-2023

If ITV/UTV allowed Channel U to exist, then I’m not sure they’ll do anything about ‘U&’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_U_(UK) 

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - orange - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 02:02 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  If ITV/UTV allowed Channel U to exist, then I’m not sure they’ll do anything about ‘U&’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_U_(UK) 

Somehow I feel like this is a different kettle of fish.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Stooky Bill - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 11:17 AM)Kunst Wrote:  Why are many UK channels so obsessed about having the corporate name in the channel name? In the case of Sky and a few others, I'm OK with that, but not everything has to become standardized!
You say that but back in the day on a predessesor to this this site a lot of people thought it was a bad idea giving them all different brands. 

There always used to be lots of 'mocks' and fantasy rebrands where people would come up with lists of prefixed names.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Stockland Hillman - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 01:49 PM)Spencer Wrote:  It doesn't always work like that. Radio Exe weren't notified when Global launched Radio X, and in the end a deal had to be reached between the two.

And I think there's a big difference between someone reusing an old, defunct brand like TVS or Associated Rediffusion that ITV chose not to keep registered, and someone potentially infringing on a current, active brand, even if it's not quite as prominent as it was a few years ago.

TVS, like TSW, TVAM etc were never part of any legal entity that become owned by ITV  so never theirs to choose to keep.

U&W is as dumb as UKTVG2 or whatever it was as a brand.  And the & sign, on a 2023 brand? Can you even use it on all social media usernames?