Pres Café
UKTV to become 'U' - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: UKTV to become 'U' (/showthread.php?tid=617)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - JamieD - 29-11-2023

I agree that the umbrella brand should be more prominent to help them market their channels and streaming app, but like other posters have suggested returning to something like 'UK x' or 'UKTV x' would be a much less clunky way of doing it. But Perfect Curve have got involved clearly...  Smile

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Cappuccino - 29-11-2023

With the rebrand supposedly several months away yet, I can't help thinking those logos are prototypes/placeholders as they look so.... poor.

Also, I can't help wondering what Unilever (another of WolffOlins portfolio) are thinking about the logo? Interesting that on the WO website they appear to be doing an open pitch to them.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - orange - 29-11-2023

It really does remind me of the shape of the old Unilever U, it’s quite a mean looking thing.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Spencer - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 04:30 PM)JamieD Wrote:  I agree that the umbrella brand should be more prominent to help them market their channels and streaming app, but like other posters have suggested returning to something like 'UK x' or 'UKTV x' would be a much less clunky way of doing it. But Perfect Curve have got involved clearly...  Smile
I think the problem with just 'UK', is it's hard to trade mark the name of a country, and so there's the risk that another operator could launch a channel with the same prefix and make it sound like they're affiliated. I seem to remember that was part of the reason for the switch to UKTV, which was also problematic, as it was a mouthful, and you ended up with ridiculous channel names like UKTV G2+1. Thankfully they dropped it before we ended up with UKTV G2 HD.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - LondonViewer - 29-11-2023

hahaha this is G.O.L.D. April fools has come super early.

Also kinda worrying that multiple (well paid) people will have signed this off.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - JAS84 - 29-11-2023

Which is why UKTV should remain the corporate name, and only UK be used on the channels - as it was when UKTV first launched in 1997!

(29-11-2023, 01:40 PM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  That & - can't help thinking it my cause some problems with URLs somewhere along the way.
Not really. They'll just spell the and out. uanddave, uandgold, uandyesterday, etc.

(29-11-2023, 02:08 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  TVS, like TSW, TVAM etc were never part of any legal entity that become owned by ITV  so never theirs to choose to keep.

U&W is as dumb as UKTVG2 or whatever it was as a brand.  And the & sign, on a 2023 brand? Can you even use it on all social media usernames?
Yeah - TVS was taken over by Fox Family Worldwide, and that was in turn taken over by Disney. Who of course didn't maintain any of the paperwork, putting the shows into limbo and allowing someone else to reuse the TVS name and logo. But hasn't ATV been reused as well - which should be owned by ITV since it was the original name of Central?

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - NancerInTheCafe - 29-11-2023

Quite curious if they're going to change the name of UKTV as a whole to just "U"...

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Edogawa Ranpo - 29-11-2023

So apparently the fonts for the new U brand are PP Right Grotesk.
PP Right Slab is used for Dave.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Jon - 29-11-2023

U is the the wrong brand, if they wanted to ditch UKTV and introduce a new overall prefix they could have started from scratch and come up with something that works better.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - cable - 29-11-2023

Since ITV ditched U(tv), another broadcaster has adopted it.