Pres Café
UKTV to become 'U' - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: UKTV to become 'U' (/showthread.php?tid=617)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Stuart - 30-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 10:36 PM)Worzel Wrote:  W was originally 'Watch'. Before that it was UKTV People/Blighty (I think?).
It was UKTV Bright Ideas, which became UKTV Style 2 before becoming Watch/W.

People/Blighty became Drama.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - nwtv2003 - 30-11-2023

(30-11-2023, 06:47 AM)Stuart Wrote:  It was UKTV Bright Ideas, which became UKTV Style 2 before becoming Watch/W.

People/Blighty became Drama.

You’re right about Drama, but Style 2 became Style Gardens before rebranding to Really. History/Yesterday initially had Bright Ideas’s DTT space after it ended and Dave began. There was a period of a year between Bright Ideas ending and Watch starting. I want to say Watch was a whole new channel, but I’m happy to be corrected.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - mixchris - 30-11-2023

(30-11-2023, 08:44 AM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  You’re right about Drama, but Style 2 became Style Gardens before rebranding to Really. History/Yesterday initially had Bright Ideas’s DTT space after it ended and Dave began. There was a period of a year between Bright Ideas ending and Watch starting. I want to say Watch was a whole new channel, but I’m happy to be corrected.

Watch was an entirely new channel trying to squeeze in to the female demo with re-runs of The Bill and their headliner was Richard & Judy whom they poached from Channel 4. Watch took over UK Gold's channel number on Sky (109 IIRC) and bumped UK Gold up the EPG.

UK Bright Ideas and UK History both launched when Freeview launched, Bright Ideas closed to make way for UKTV G2 / Dave. UKTV History eventually morphed in to History.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Kunst - 30-11-2023

(30-11-2023, 11:28 AM)mixchris Wrote:  Watch was an entirely new channel trying to squeeze in to the female demo with re-runs of The Bill and their headliner was Richard & Judy whom they poached from Channel 4. Watch took over UK Gold's channel number on Sky (109 IIRC) and bumped UK Gold up the EPG.

UK Bright Ideas and UK History both launched when Freeview launched, Bright Ideas closed to make way for UKTV G2 / Dave. UKTV History eventually morphed in to History.

I might be wrong, but it was also a new entertainment channel (back then) for content that couldn't work on GOLD (a comedy channel), Alibi (crime) etc.
I mean, it had/has Doctor Who, it's not entirely female focused, although mostly is

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - MFTJA - 30-11-2023

Just thinking in terms of the rebranding of UKTV Play to simply 'U'. Will that be possible on the App Store? I know they have guidelines in place that prevent an app from being named with one letter which Twitter had to appeal to get approval for the 'X' rebrand. I imagine a lot of money was involved in that deal, but I'm curious if UKTV Play would also be allowed to change its name to just one letter too.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Brekkie - 30-11-2023

It'll probably end up being something like "U - stream UKTV for free", or "U&TVonDemand" or something. A bit like the Channel 4 rebrand they'll end up having to explain further what they're referring too having dropped a short name with brand recognition.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - mixchris - 30-11-2023

(30-11-2023, 11:28 AM)mixchris Wrote:  Watch was an entirely new channel trying to squeeze in to the female demo with re-runs of The Bill and their headliner was Richard & Judy whom they poached from Channel 4. Watch took over UK Gold's channel number on Sky (109 IIRC) and bumped UK Gold up the EPG.

Oops I meant ‘morphed in to Yesterday’

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Stuart - 30-11-2023

(30-11-2023, 08:44 AM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  You’re right about Drama, but Style 2 became Style Gardens before rebranding to Really. History/Yesterday initially had Bright Ideas’s DTT space after it ended and Dave began. There was a period of a year between Bright Ideas ending and Watch starting. I want to say Watch was a whole new channel, but I’m happy to be corrected.
That's not correct. There is a very good explanation of the development of the channels and name changes on a graphic in this link. It was created by the author.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UKTV#/media/File:UKTV_network_timeline.png 

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - strollfan - 30-11-2023

(30-11-2023, 01:09 PM)Stuart Wrote:  That's not correct. There is a very good explanation of the development of the channels and name changes on a graphic in this link. It was created by the author.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UKTV#/media/File:UKTV_network_timeline.png 

I believe UKTV Style 2 was essentially a place holder timeshift service, as used to be common, as opposed to a standalone channel. But yes, the timeline shown is correct.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Jonny - 30-11-2023

This does seem like a very convoluted way of not using the "UK" prefix, which was well recognised in the public consciousness in the 00s. Perhaps it would be difficult to trademark - too generic?

The 2007 Dave rebrand was bold in its direction and confidence. It was a complete "wtf" moment at the time but it was executed flawlessly. And it must be remembered it replaced a much maligned brand of nothingness - UKTV G2. How we come full circle!

This new strategy strikes me as the complete opposite - a brand totally lacking in confidence, unsure of its identity and perhaps even the long term viability of its business model in the ultra competitive streaming age.