Pres Café
Hits Radio Rebrand Rollout - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Hits Radio Rebrand Rollout (/showthread.php?tid=647)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Hits Radio Rebrand Rollout - lookoutwales - 02-04-2024

Another local brand will also be disappearing in the North East.

After nearly 30 years as Sun FM, they're bowing to the inevitable and relaunching as Nation Radio in May, as the station expands on DAB across the region beyond its analogue TSA.

Sun FM was sold off by UKRD to Nation six years ago.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2024/04/sun-fm-to-rebrand-as-nation-radio-north-east-and-expand-on-dab/ 

RE: Hits Radio Rebrand Rollout - Jon - 02-04-2024

Nation Radio is such as a rubbish brand. It probably works for Wales, because it emphasises that fact Wales is nation in its own right and its not a service from England.

I know there are other generic brands, but they usually tell you what the station does either literally like ‘Greatest Hits Radio’ or using something emotive live ‘Heart’ or ‘Kiss’.

There’s obviously an opportunity to replace Metro, so why not use a brand at least for the time being that tells the audience that this is now their local station. I know local brands aren’t the done thing, but what else can they offer?

RE: Hits Radio Rebrand Rollout - JAS84 - 02-04-2024

Keeping the Sun brand would achieve that, as it's clearly short for Sunderland in this case.

RE: Hits Radio Rebrand Rollout - Jon - 02-04-2024

(02-04-2024, 05:26 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Keeping the Sun brand would achieve that, as it's clearly short for Sunderland in this case.
Well I’m guessing the thinking is that wouldn’t play well in Tyneside. Whereas Metro was a word associated with Tyne & Wear.

Although I’m not sure it was anything to do with the light rail system as that didn’t open for 6 years until after the radio station and for that matter don’t think it went to Sunderland for many years after that. So I guess they called it ‘Metro’ in the sense of it covering metropolitan area.

RE: Hits Radio Rebrand Rollout - Dadeki - 02-04-2024

I don't think this has been posted yet, but here's an interesting compilation uploaded to YouTube showing how the Bauer City radio stations have been announcing the upcoming change to Hits Radio. These particular examples were all recorded on the 22nd March:

https://youtu.be/_0u5hWIellM 

RE: Hits Radio Rebrand Rollout - Stooky Bill - 03-04-2024

(02-04-2024, 01:48 PM)cityprod Wrote:  Except it really isn't a lot in this circumstance, and it's dropping at quite a rate. 29% to 21% in a year is quite an alarming rate of decline. The fact that they are even maintaining any form of local programming, by transferring it to Hits Radio & GHR, is more a testament to Cornwall's unique heritage and culture than anything else. I think you overestimate just how much GHR and Bauer will be making from this. They have to provide something on FM otherwise they will lose that licence. Better at the moment to have GHR simulcasting on FM, than just to close down Pirate and lose that licence at this point. 5-10 years from now, who knows, but at this point, it makes more sense.
The reason they're doing the bare minimum local programming is because they have to, and it's too soon for their audience to go straight to a South West or national version. It's a transitionary sutuation

Once the rules change (which is due soon), and enough time has passed that everyone's forgotten Pirate FM those local programmes will be from Manchester . I'd be surprised if they keep anything Cornish at all.

It's not unique to Cornwall, the exact same thing happened to Lincs FM, again a popular local station and brand that they're gradually easing out along with its local content

RE: Hits Radio Rebrand Rollout - lookoutwales - 03-04-2024

(03-04-2024, 06:36 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Once the rules change (which is due soon), and enough time has passed that everyone's forgotten Pirate FM those local programmes will be from Manchester . I'd be surprised if they keep anything Cornish at all.

It's not unique to Cornwall, the exact same thing happened to Lincs FM, again a popular local station and brand that they're gradually easing out along with its local content

But then, as we've discussed already, some of those 'local' Pirate shows - particularly at evenings and weekends - have already been originating from outside Cornwall anyway (with presenters based at other Bauer outposts)

Think it's true to say networked output has been drifting away from Manchester, as well - some of the Hits line-up, especially at breakfast, tend to broadcast from the new HQ at Euston nowadays (and I believe there is still the odd networked show coming from Liverpool and Newcastle as well, as per GHR)

I think it was Paul Sylvester at Absolute who predicted on an industry podcast around the time of Covid that we'd see more presenters and staff spread out across the UK, even on national stations.

Whether that prediction will hold true is arguable, though I've noticed that over on Global's Radio X, there are regular shows that usually originate from Manchester and/or Cardiff nowadays.

RE: Hits Radio Rebrand Rollout - Ash101 - 03-04-2024

(03-04-2024, 08:20 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  But then, as we've discussed already, some of those 'local' Pirate shows - particularly at evenings and weekends - have already been originating from outside Cornwall anyway (with presenters based at other Bauer outposts)

Of course, but if it’s a unique programme to Pirate FM, then it is still local. Stuart in the evening may be based near Wave 105, but he’s still doing a show exclusively for the Cornwall area.

RE: Hits Radio Rebrand Rollout - Dadeki - 03-04-2024

The Bournemouth Daily Echo has published a letter from a reader who is severely critical of the decision to axe Wave 105 in favour of Greatest Hits Radio, describing it as 'foolish and purely money-driven'. Judging by the comments section on the page the vast majority are in agreement with her - and it does seem as though the backlash from the public isn't going away any time soon. Clearly Wave 105 was a much loved brand in the area so it will be interesting to see how GHR fares in due course.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/24224052.letter-foolish-decision-close-wave-105/ 

RE: Hits Radio Rebrand Rollout - mrarg1393 - 03-04-2024

I wonder if Hits Radio will refresh their jingles for the new rollout. Although I’ve noticed on their promos for Hits Radio they are playing their current jingle but as ‘Hits Radio’ so quite possibly not, to be fair it still sounds pretty fresh from when they rolled it out at the end of 2022.