Pres Café
BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - DTV - 16-03-2024

(16-03-2024, 08:17 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  I believe The Telegraph actually reported last year that it pretty much could not be held November-January due to the US Election (basically some long-standing agreement that Five-Eyes countries won't hold elections at the same time, incase a major geopolitical event occurs with two Five-Eyes countries in the process of changing governments and with inexperienced ministers.
There was a suggestion that the UK government didn't want such a scenario, but I'm highly sceptical that there's any such agreement between Five Eyes countries as there are multiple occasions in the last 25 years when two of the countries held an election within a month of each other and one case, between mid-October and November 2008, when three of the five countries (Canada, New Zealand, US) held elections within the space of four weeks. Indeed, elections in at least one other Five Eyes country have taken place within a month of seven of the 12 US presidential elections during the last 50 years.

The fact is, the only thing we know about the election date is that it will be before the 28th January 2025. Later dates are frankly more likely as doomed governments tend to run out the clock out of an unrealistically hopeful belief that something will turn up that drastically turns things around. A May election might have been a possibility if the budget had, as the government hoped, boosted their poll ratings, but their poll deficit has actually widened since then, reducing the chances of a spring poll. They will likely now try a further round of tax cuts in the autumn (I would predict to no avail, as per the last two fiscal events), but am doubtful there'll be any voluntary calling of an election while they are in the worst polling position that a governing party has ever been in during an election year.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Brekkie - 16-03-2024

So a Party Election Broadcast by the Conservative Party on Christmas Day between Strictly and Doctor Who then?

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - all new phil - 16-03-2024

To be honest, I suspect we’ll see moves against Sunak this week which will culminate in an election being called, either with or without him as leader. Probably without.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - DTV - 16-03-2024

(16-03-2024, 10:44 PM)all new phil Wrote:  To be honest, I suspect we’ll see moves against Sunak this week which will culminate in an election being called, either with or without him as leader. Probably without.
It's a possibility. If it does play out, probably best for the broadcasters to start consulting with their Canadian counterparts about how to deal with a 1993-style result.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - cityprod - 16-03-2024

(16-03-2024, 11:22 PM)DTV Wrote:  It's a possibility. If it does play out, probably best for the broadcasters to start consulting with their Canadian counterparts about how to deal with a 1993-style result.

Given the fact that the Canadian Prime Minister that that happened to, Brian Mulroney, passed away recently, it's been quite fresh in Canadian journalists minds as well.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - XIII - 17-03-2024

Nobody wants a winter election and MPs certainly don't want to campaign over the Christmas period either. I think early October is more likely than January 2025.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Stuart - 17-03-2024

(16-03-2024, 09:41 PM)Globaltraffic24 Wrote:  Indeed, although I can assure you all. It is NEVER going to be in November. Our PM has power but not that much. That’s one week after the US election, which means effectively no government in the UK or US in Oct and Nov during a time of great geopolitical tension.
In the UK, even though Parliament dissolves at the calling of an election, and all 650 cease to be MPs, the Government continues with every Minister maintaining their allocated position and responsibility. We are never sans a Governmental structure.

The only difference is that during Purdah the Government can't announce, delete or create domestic policies. Otherwise they just continue as normal under existing legislation.

The election date chosen is entirely at the behest of the PM, up until the time the Parliament expires by default on the 5th anniversary of it first meeting.

Events in the USA have no bearing on the timing of a UK General Election. However, them happening at the same time would be a logistical headache for broadcasters. They only have a certain amount of talent to use at any one time.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Newshound47 - 17-03-2024

(16-03-2024, 11:35 PM)cityprod Wrote:  Given the fact that the Canadian Prime Minister that that happened to, Brian Mulroney, passed away recently, it's been quite fresh in Canadian journalists minds as well.

Not quite. Brian Mulroney quit a few months before and it was Kim Campbell who was the PM whose party suffered the near wipeout and lost her own seat.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - AaronTV - 17-03-2024

(16-03-2024, 09:41 PM)Globaltraffic24 Wrote:  Indeed, although I can assure you all. It is NEVER going to be in November. Our PM has power but not that much. That’s one week after the US election, which means effectively no government in the UK or US in Oct and Nov during a time of great geopolitical tension. If Sunak even considers attempting that he’ll end up in the tower!

Difficult to emphasise just how factually incorrect this is. If the Prime Minister wants to go for November, he is perfectly entitled to do so.

As others have mentioned, we absolutely still have a working Government during election campaigns. As we saw in 2017 with the multiple terror attacks during the campaign, Cabinet Ministers undoubtedly would have been required to make important decisions and it was legitimate for them to do so.

Even after an election, we technically still have a working Government until a new administration is formed. During the coalition talks in 2010, for example, Alistair Darling still had to make a number of decisions as Chancellor, despite Labour having lost the election and Darling likely to be gone in days (if not hours).

As far as I understand it, the only period in which we don’t technically have a working Government that could make decisions if needed is literally the few hours between a new Prime Minister being appointed by the Monarch post-election and that Prime Minister appointing their Cabinet.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Neil Jones - 17-03-2024

Its like when the Queen died - the heir becomes King the second she died. There is no "you are not King until we get a message to you" sort of thing - it just happens (though of course this time round he was in the UK at the key moment - she happened to be somewhere in Africa (Kenya?) when her father died).

Likewise there is never "not" a government. There may be a small cross over while the old PM sees the monarch and the new one is called, but I think otherwise that's about it. I supposed technically you stay in post until the new PM appoints somebody else to replace you.