Pres Café
BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - i.h - 17-03-2024

(17-03-2024, 11:12 AM)AaronTV Wrote:  Difficult to emphasise just how factually incorrect this is. If the Prime Minister wants to go for November, he is perfectly entitled to do so.

While he may be theoretically entitled to do so, whether he could do so without (inter)national pressure is another matter. The Times has reported that civil servants have already pointed out that it is not a good idea to have two major governments potentially in flux at the same time. We don't know what goes on even further behind the scenes.

It might not be a matter of sending anyone off to the tower, and the King will agree to it if asked, but there'll be a lot of phone calls, endless repetitions of "Are you really really sure about this?", and inevitable criticism in the media and from other politicians.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - aaron_scotland - 17-03-2024

(16-03-2024, 08:48 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A bit of a pain for anyone who has said they'll quit their current role after the election, such as Kirsty Wark.

Guess it's also an issue for booking things like OB trucks and other external resources - no doubt there is a working agreement but broadcasters usually like elections and big news events to avoid other big events. Wasn't part of the reason football matches were cancelled in the wake of the Queens death due to the practical availability of OB trucks?

Im actually curious on this also, In previous years the broadcasters have had to bring in so many satellite trucks you saw them coming in from Belgium/France/Holland/Spain etc. I wonder if that will even happen this year with 4G/5G and a way of saving money.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Newshound47 - 17-03-2024

I’m still surprised in this day and age sporting events at football stadiums which hold 20 or more live matches a season need satellite trucks rather than everything on fibre.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - James2001 - 17-03-2024

I've just seen that person insist it's the 14th November again and claiming "all the media companies know it" and it's "the worst kept secret in Westminster"...

Though as other people have said, I really can't see it being held the week after the US election, it will be far too chaotic a time for it.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - JMT1985 - 17-03-2024

It does seem October 2024 will be the election, as pointed out to me by some journalists, the give away is that the Business Secretary in the House of Commons has refused to give details of the return date of the house after the summer recess, when this is usually included by now in their upcoming recess dates.

He said, it all points to the Prime Minister calling the election once the house has returned in early September, to use the two weeks they would normally use before the start of the party conference season, but these two weeks will instead be used to finish up business and get parliament dissolved.

So using his experience, maybe this seems correct, and broadcasters have some time to get ready for the election if this is correct. As always, politics can change all of this.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - News76 - 17-03-2024

(17-03-2024, 01:55 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I've just seen that person insist it's the 14th November again and claiming "all the media companies know it" and it's "the worst kept secret in Westminster"...

Though as other people have said, I really can't see it being held the week after the US election, it will be far too chaotic a time for it.

Well then he's in for a major surprise if it's called for June (since that month hasn't actually been ruled out) or October 10th-surely these two dates are better than the week after the US Election-it's just not likely is it?

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Milkshake - 17-03-2024

(17-03-2024, 01:55 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I've just seen that person insist it's the 14th November again and claiming "all the media companies know it" and it's "the worst kept secret in Westminster"...

Yet "all the media companies know it" it would be be MAY.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - James2001 - 17-03-2024

I don't think that person knows any more than the rest of us, they're trying to make themself seem knowledgeable and important.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Milkshake - 17-03-2024

(17-03-2024, 02:36 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I don't think that person knows any more than the rest of us, they're trying to make themself seem knowledgeable and important.

I'm starting to think not even the Sunak knows himself, and it could changing day by day. However rehearsel have to have taken place to cover thier bets on the media parts?

(17-03-2024, 02:04 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It does seem October 2024 will be the election, as pointed out to me by some journalists, the give away is that the Business Secretary in the House of Commons has refused to give details of the return date of the house after the summer recess, when this is usually included by now in their upcoming recess dates.

He said, it all points to the Prime Minister calling the election once the house has returned in early September, to use the two weeks they would normally use before the start of the party conference season, but these two weeks will instead be used to finish up business and get parliament dissolved.

So using his experience, maybe this seems correct, and broadcasters have some time to get ready for the election if this is correct. As always, politics can change all of this.
The houses of Common does have a nice list for each weeks dissolution
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9921/ 

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - all new phil - 17-03-2024

I work for one of these media companies and I know nothing. People I know who work for other media companies equally know nothing.