Pres Café
BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - thegeek - 18-03-2024

(16-03-2024, 08:48 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Guess it's also an issue for booking things like OB trucks and other external resources - no doubt there is a working agreement but broadcasters usually like elections and big news events to avoid other big events. Wasn't part of the reason football matches were cancelled in the wake of the Queens death due to the practical availability of OB trucks?
I think a lot of the postponements were to do with policing requirements - I don't remember hearing too much about a squeeze on OB resources. There's a reasonable amount of flexibility in the industry, and broadcasters are usually fairly pragmatic about going with a slightly lower spec scanner if scheduling requirements, mechanical breakdown, or major state events means that they can't get the truck they were expecting.

That said, there will be some Thursdays in October and November where Europa/Europa Conference League matches will be using a lot of sat trucks, which may make it trickier to hire some in from across the channel.

(17-03-2024, 07:11 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Wasn't there quite a big effort using Live U and journalism students to cover counts last time?

IIRC it was Sky who had a camera at every count. You probably wouldn't want to rely on it at the most high-profile declarations - more people around to suck up the mobile bandwidth, plus big metal-framed exhbition halls are often a big Faraday cage.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Brekkie - 18-03-2024

Well the whole process of going down to your village hall and putting a cross on a piece of paper is quaint and charming too, then counting by hand.

Talking of that one inevitable story this year will be around people needing ID to vote and there will be stories of people being turned away, all due to the massive impact a grand total of 6 fraud cases had on the result of the last election. Will likely also be accusations of people bring allowed to vote without ID too.

I just hope that as in previous elections a landslide victory, or even a narrow victory, is accepted and the country moves on without the usual suspects trying to play, quite literally, their Trump card.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Stooky Bill - 18-03-2024

(18-03-2024, 10:33 AM)DTV Wrote:  Always makes me laugh that this is still how it's done. Nearly every European country now has a fantastic central results website, detailing the count at the equivalent of ward-level as it comes in; we're still having people telephone into newsrooms to tell them seat level results, frequently ending up with small errors in vote tallies for broadcasters. I'm sure there are some who find it charming and quaint, not sure that's what I'd call it.
It's still a better system than they seem to have in the US where results seem to just be called by the broadcasters. I've never seen any official announcement being made of how a particular state or county has voted.

(18-03-2024, 10:49 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well the whole process of going down to your village hall and putting a cross on a piece of paper is quaint and charming too, then counting by hand.
That's true but it's one of those things that's simple but just works.

Again comparing it to the US look at all the hassles and controversy they have over voting machines. The machines themselves have to make a paper copy of each vote and still it takes weeks to count up the votes in a lot of the country. I'm not sure what the advantage is except looking like it's a more modern process

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - interestednovice - 18-03-2024

(18-03-2024, 10:49 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well the whole process of going down to your village hall and putting a cross on a piece of paper is quaint and charming too, then counting by hand.

I like to think the traditional act of voting in that way is all part of the fun and important occasion of an election, and in these days of cyber vulnerability it has a degree of simple reliability to it as well. Yes, counting is then slower, but at least you know it is done right and since it is a tradition to count overnight you usually get a result pretty quickly anyway.

Dare I say, the excitement of actual counting going on at counts across the country adds to the coverage for broadcasters too. I like the way results are officially declared at counts as well, and covered by broadcasters.

The system works just as well now as it ever did.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - bilky asko - 18-03-2024

It's also a far more secure and trustworthy system than electronic voting, or even electronic counting.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Newshound47 - 18-03-2024

(18-03-2024, 10:49 AM)thegeek Wrote:  I think a lot of the postponements were to do with policing requirements - I don't remember hearing too much about a squeeze on OB resources. There's a reasonable amount of flexibility in the industry, and broadcasters are usually fairly pragmatic about going with a slightly lower spec scanner if scheduling requirements, mechanical breakdown, or major state events means that they can't get the truck they were expecting.

That said, there will be some Thursdays in October and November where Europa/Europa Conference League matches will be using a lot of sat trucks, which may make it trickier to hire some in from across the channel.

IIRC it was Sky who had a camera at every count. You probably wouldn't want to rely on it at the most high-profile declarations - more people around to suck up the mobile bandwidth, plus big metal-framed exhbition halls are often a big Faraday cage.
The 12th December 2019 (Election 2019j was an Europa League match day last time but they are double the matches now with the Conference league as well.

The 17th October would be perfect for the election on this purpose. The international meet up is the weekend before but ends on Tuesday so they won’t be any top level football matches on the Thursday across Europe needing trucks.

For Thursdays in October and November

Internationals
10th October (England among the teams playingj
14th November (England among the teams playing)

UEFA club competitions
3rd October
24th October
7th November
28th November

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - mark - 18-03-2024

(18-03-2024, 03:06 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It's still a better system than they seem to have in the US where results seem to just be called by the broadcasters. I've never seen any official announcement being made of how a particular state or county has voted.
This is a bit different as the broadcasters' decision desks call the results before all the votes have been counted - sometimes long before - based on the official tallies of the votes that are already in.

There wouldn't be much to gain from the broadcasters confirming the final results - which often don't come in until after election night.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - thegeek - 18-03-2024

(18-03-2024, 04:38 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  It's also a far more secure and trustworthy system than electronic voting, or even electronic counting.

At the risk of bringing things on topic, the London Mayoral and Assembly elections have used electronic counting in the past, but this year will be counted manually - now it's FPTP it's simpler and therefore cheaper:
https://www.onlondon.co.uk/votes-for-next-london-mayor-and-assembly-elections-could-be-counted-manually/ 

Counting and declarations won't be until the Saturday:
https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/counting-votes 

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Brekkie - 18-03-2024

(18-03-2024, 04:26 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I like to think the traditional act of voting in that way is all part of the fun and important occasion of an election, and in these days of cyber vulnerability it has a degree of simple reliability to it as well. Yes, counting is then slower, but at least you know it is done right and since it is a tradition to count overnight you usually get a result pretty quickly anyway.

Dare I say, the excitement of actual counting going on at counts across the country adds to the coverage for broadcasters too. I like the way results are officially declared at counts as well, and covered by broadcasters.

The system works just as well now as it ever did.

Oh I completely agree - and protected anonymity in a manner I don't think any electronic system which stated it would somehow encrypt votes so they couldn't be traced back to the voter would ever be trusted. Plus we'd lose out on dogs at polling stations.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - DTV - 18-03-2024

(18-03-2024, 06:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Oh I completely agree - and protected anonymity in a manner I don't think any electronic system which stated it would somehow encrypt votes so they couldn't be traced back to the voter would ever be trusted.
Every UK ballot paper has a serial number that is logged when it is given to the voter (this ensures that every ballot paper in the count can be accounted for as properly issued). But it does mean you don't technically have a secret ballot as you can trace each ballot paper back to the voter. Legally, this can only be done in specific circumstances and often requires a court order, but there is a long-standing rumour that the security services historically went through every vote cast for a Communist candidate and traced it back, with those voter's name then added to their records.