Pres Café
BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Stooky Bill - 20-03-2024

(20-03-2024, 01:00 AM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  We're not going to get a London election night then... wonder if the other mayoral contests are doing the same with the 'slow' counting? At least the rest of the country will have the time to shine.
In the past the London elections have been counted on the Friday, the mayoral result normally being announced frustratingly after the two London News bulletins have finished

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - interestednovice - 20-03-2024

(20-03-2024, 01:25 PM)peterrocket Wrote:  The general election graphics are also appearing if you look for them

Weirdly, this just makes me immediately think of Channel 4 News?

Probably because of the purple, although purple is a good idea since no major party uses the colour at all.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - JK08 - 20-03-2024

Over the past couple of days it seems Sky are in limbo between using the colour bars election branding we’ve seen since 2019, and the Politics Hub hexagon branding when covering the general election.

Whilst I don’t know about the election not having its own unique look, I think the hexagon shape is well established as a bit of an election icon across the board.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Newshound47 - 23-03-2024

According to the Times Labour want two televised election debates while the Conservatives want as many as possible.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - DTV - 23-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 02:57 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  According to the Times Labour want two televised election debates while the Conservatives want as many as possible.
The Conservative position is not that surprising - going back to the 90s, the candidates with the least to lose are the ones who want debates; for those ahead, there's more that can go wrong than to be potentailly gained. Labour agreeing to debates is presumably because they're currently playing the 'chicken' card over the election date and don't want it blowing back against them, though suspect they are drawing red lines about certain parties' inclusions (Blair torpedoed debates in 97 over Ashdown's inclusion, though this was really an excuse for not wanting them anyway).

Given that neither are great media performers, suspect the broadcasters will want many clogging up the schedules, especially considering below average interest in the election as well.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Brekkie - 23-03-2024

I just don't think they work now with the way politics has fractured over the last decade but suspect we'll see one Starmer v Sunak, one with the other party leaders and then one with the lot of them.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - RhysJR - 23-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 09:29 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I just don't think they work now with the way politics has fractured over the last decade but suspect we'll see one Starmer v Sunak, one with the other party leaders and then one with the lot of them.

Agree to an extent, thiugh will still want to have something like that.

What we really need is something like the Andrew Neil interviews (a one-on-one long interview). Not sure who would be appropriate from the current BBC roster to succeed Neil, but Laura Kuennessberg probably the favourite internally.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Brekkie - 23-03-2024

Yes, suspect it'll be LK though Victoria Derbyshire might be the better option. I personally prefer the individual Q&A format with the leaders to either a direct interview or debate - just think it works better when the leader do have to face questions from the public and then answer them, rather than an interviewer or their rival leaders.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - XIII - 24-03-2024

I think there should be three debates maximum, maybe four at a push. One for BBC One, one for ITV1, one for Channel 4 and maybe a joint Channel 5/Sky News one.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Newshound47 - 24-03-2024

Will it be a bit overkill if Kuennesberg is both the interviewer and the main election night host. Plus will they will feel as special as the Sunday 9am show normally has lots of significant interviews as well.