Pres Café
BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - mark - 15-04-2024

(14-04-2024, 10:51 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Random question but thinking back to 1997 did 5News attempt any kind of election programme?
They didn't do an election programme. They had a live overnight sports show called Live and Dangerous back then, which came from the 5 News studio with at least one short news update. I have a very vague recollection of them doing extra updates during that night's show.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Stuart - 15-04-2024

(15-04-2024, 04:31 PM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  Would the Inauguration of the US President not clash with that week?
Why would a US Presidential inauguration have any impact in the UK? That's a one-off news event, I think you're over-selling the impact on the UK during an election campaign.

Most of the campaigning would be after New Year, so nobody would be doing it over Christmas. It's only really the final few weeks that matter.

As already stated, everyone still goes to work in January, so there is nothing to discourage voter turnout because of the time of year. It didn't stop people voting in December 2019, and all the campaigning was in the run-up to Christmas that year. I don't recall anyone being annoyed about it at the time.

Well, we'll see when he calls it. I much preferred the situation under the FTP Act as it removed this guessing game. That would have shortened this Parliament by causing the election to happen in May 2024.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - aaron_scotland - 16-04-2024

(15-04-2024, 10:21 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Why would a US Presidential inauguration have any impact in the UK? That's a one-off news event, I think you're over-selling the impact on the UK during an election campaign.

January 20th is a Monday anyway as well, so will be long out the news cycle before the Thursday GE.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Keith - 16-04-2024

(15-04-2024, 04:11 PM)freeview87 Wrote:  Lets be honest, unless so massive, massive error in polling, no amount of political ads are going to have much influence.

For ITVX its a good way to make some money so a win for them.
Whilst I doubt it would have much influence on the overall outcome, it might have an influence at a more local level.

Streaming services have the potential to offer more targeted advertising, compared to traditional linear TV advertising. Adverts could potentially be targeted based on where their IP address indicates they're watching from, and/or what programmes they watch on that streaming service. There's presumably also age and gender, if that's been set in your profile on the streaming service.

This could in turn could allow political parties to show political ad videos that are more tailored to be more relevant to the viewer. This in turn might help influence some people in how they vote. In areas with small majorities these could then theoretically help a party to win a seat.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - JMT1985 - 16-04-2024

In terms of how BBC and ITV will cover this election night (whenever it happens) - I believe it will be just like 2019.

BBC will use Studio B at BBC Broadcasting House, with the BBC One news programmes moved out into Studio E again whilst they prepare the set and rehearse, probably for two weeks before the election night. I don't see them using the vast studio presentation style they used to use up to 2017. I think that era is long gone, and the amount of money to fill Studio D at BBC Elstree would just be a waste for the already strapped for cash BBC

ITV will once again just use Studio 1 at ITN - their regular studio and just extend their virtual set a little - like BBC, I don't see ITV using a huge studio, as they simply don't have one - they will most likely use their atrium once again, to give a sense of size to the event

Sky will simply repeat 2019 and use their foyer and glass box studio

Just what I think - if it ain't broke, don't fix it approach.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - lepeterrr - 16-04-2024

I think the only one we'll see a difference in is Sky, likely using their new newsroom setup and the refreshed Westminster studio more.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Ben Shatliff - 16-04-2024

(16-04-2024, 01:01 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  January 20th is a Monday anyway as well, so will be long out the news cycle before the Thursday GE.

I was meaning resources who may be in America covering the Inauguration albeit three days before.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - DTV - 16-04-2024

(16-04-2024, 04:26 PM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  I was meaning resources who may be in America covering the Inauguration albeit three days before.
There's not going to be much overlap there. Actual coverage of the inauguration will be a pool by US networks, with anything additional by UK broadcasters being small-scale. There's also not much in the way of personnel overlap - in 2008 the BBC sent over Huw Edwards, but more recent ones have used the BBC's Washington team, who won't be involved in the UK election coverage. In the unlikely event of a January election (5th anniversary seems most plausible latest date), it really won't be an issue.

Also, as an aside, looking back through Genome, BBC have only ever given first-time inaugurations network coverage, so would be interesting to see whether either candidates qualified this time.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Keith - 16-04-2024

(16-04-2024, 01:20 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  BBC will use Studio B at BBC Broadcasting House, with the BBC One news programmes moved out into Studio E again whilst they prepare the set and rehearse, probably for two weeks before the election night. I don't see them using the vast studio presentation style they used to use up to 2017. I think that era is long gone, and the amount of money to fill Studio D at BBC Elstree would just be a waste for the already strapped for cash BBC
I wonder if BBC One news would still need to move out, as they didn't last year(?) when it was used for election coverage.

Potentially by the time the election is called the One will have moved to Salford. This will mean that the studio is free on weekdays until around 5pm, allowing for daytime rehearsals. The main thing which will need adding is the 'mega-desk', which last time remained present during the national news bulletins and LK in the days/week prior, and for a few days afterwards. Maybe they'll also add the bits to the curved wall section as per LK, so that interviews can be done from that area.

Unlikely the last general election they won't need to take B out of use for a couple weeks to install (and later remove) a touchscreen, which replaced part of the normal set. The touchscreen is already part of the existing set, though rarely used in that way these days.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - WillPS - 16-04-2024

I don't think news coverage/scheduling is much of a concern to the person picking the date. International security, yes; ensuring there's enough personnel available to provide both a full domestic election broadcast and US presidential proceedings, no.

If the date chosen is inconvenient for the broadcasters for whatever reason, it'll be their problem to solve, not Downing Street's.